SANFL 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2024

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I think you missed a couple of 0’s on West.

More games into the kids, with no recruiting we will barely have to pay any money out. Adam is going to be a great coach but needs some cattle.

Trying to look for some positives.

Unfortunately, there are no positives for Westies.
5 spoons in a row and odds on to make that 6!

The Club is done, in my opinion.

It’s not good ATM but slinging crap on them doesn’t help. There are many good people there trying their best in a difficult situation. It will turn.

If West supporters want to keep slinging crap, I say go and support someone else.

They improved a lot last year, another preseason into these kids and I think they will improve again.

We spoken Brodlach

You could see the effort and improvement in West in the game at Glenelg last July. They finished off strong to salute in the last minor round game too. The biggest strength that they club is every one sees that Harts is the man so its a unified footy group.

Need supporters to stick fat, it's not easy but its the only way.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:46 pm

Hard to have any optimism after 5 consecutives spoons but agreed, Hartlett looks like he's got the club behind him.

Given the SANFL's hands in the Westies pie it's probably a good thing to have a West Adelaide person as the face of the club.

Can understand the dismay for some fans though, hardly a good time to be a Blood n Tar.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:54 pm

I do get all that and we really have been ordinary on and off the field for at least the past two decades so get people’s frustration. So many administrators have been in and out of the club in the past 20 years, who/what’s to blame?

I have no doubt Adam is the man to take us forward. Recruiting quality must be very difficult.

Makes the good times worth so much (2015 premiership).
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:I do get all that and we really have been ordinary on and off the field for at least the past two decades so get people’s frustration. So many administrators have been in and out of the club in the past 20 years, who/what’s to blame?

I have no doubt Adam is the man to take us forward. Recruiting quality must be very difficult.

Makes the good times worth so much (2015 premiership).

Are West just a victim of the scaling down in the SANFL over the past 20 years.

eg, were West always in the bottom 2 clubs for memberships even in the 80's just then bottom 2 meant you still would have had a few thousand members, bottom 2 these days in the SANFL means you're probably down to around 500 members.

Same with attendances was there are their attendances any worse than they were many moons ago when you scale it to the current SANFL.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:31 pm

I don’t think so.

In my 50 years of supporting we’ve never had a massive following, the area is surrounded by factories and the airport, not a great deal of homes. Was also a European area for many decades too

Hard to attract new supporters when you don’t win often too. There was a lot of damage done a number of years ago but they don’t seem to have corrected the issue fully

Getting out to schools, local clubs and shopping Centres I think is what they need to do. Have a greater presence in the community. Andy Colin’s started that many years ago but that seems to have dropped away.

I could be totally off kilter too.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:57 pm

Hope the Bloods pull through but I get the frustration.

As an opposition supporter, it feels like the club seems to get it’s act together once each decade but for whatever reason can never sustain the good times.
Your club peaks and then falls away shortly afterwards making a GF rather than remaining around the mark.

1980s – Westies win GF in 1983
1990s – Westies lose GF in 1991
2000s – Westies lose GF in 2003
2010s – Westies win GF in 2015

Why does this happen?

It feels like West consistently produce very good youngsters from a productive recruiting zone (Riverland). Your junior teams have historically been very strong. Yes, some do go to the AFL but the remainder should still form the basis of a competitive nucleus.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Thiele » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:23 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:

More games into the kids, with no recruiting we will barely have to pay any money out. Adam is going to be a great coach but needs some cattle.

It’s not good ATM but slinging crap on them doesn’t help. There are many good people there trying their best in a difficult situation. It will turn.

If West supporters want to keep slinging crap, I say go and support someone else.

They improved a lot last year, another preseason into these kids and I think they will improve again.
I rather Harts teach the game plan to the few that we recruited and keep playing the Juniors. Then a dozen new players to the club
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:05 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Hope the Bloods pull through but I get the frustration.

As an opposition supporter, it feels like the club seems to get it’s act together once each decade but for whatever reason can never sustain the good times.
Your club peaks and then falls away shortly afterwards making a GF rather than remaining around the mark.

Why does this happen?

It feels like West consistently produce very good youngsters from a productive recruiting zone (Riverland). Your junior teams have historically been very strong. Yes, some do go to the AFL but the remainder should still form the basis of a competitive nucleus.

Understand the concern regarding West, but to be honest, I think south is more of a concern. Last flag 60 years ago with only one GF since in 1979, and haven’t really been close in just about every other year since.

As described above, West have been able to bounce back many times, but can’t seem to sustain it.

Get some good committed and smart people and things will change. Sturt have previously shown how to bounce back after being rock bottom for many years.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:36 pm

The number of homes being built down the southern suburbs, South should prosper and be dominate for many years to come. Assuming boundaries are not changed to help Glenelg ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:49 pm

Brodlach wrote:The number of homes being built down the southern suburbs, South should prosper and be dominate for many years to come. Assuming boundaries are not changed to help Glenelg ;)

South should but will they? I have my doubts.

Norwood generally get the best rub of the zone green to compliment their continual brown paper bag use
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:18 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Hope the Bloods pull through but I get the frustration.

Why does this happen?

I also forgot to add that during this time Westies have had a handful of Magarey Medallists and some of the most potent goal kicking forwards and been able to attract some very good recruits from the AFL/VFL (although conscious this has completely dried up in the last 6-7 years). For whatever reason you guys just haven't been able to put it together but rather seem to peak and fall. I'm sure you guys will come good again, just maintain the faith and back your coach in. Last year in particular, your team was competitive in many matches and arguably should have had 3-4 more wins at season's end. The improvement is there and you should be striving for another step forward this year even without the big names.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Been liked: 123 times

Postby Wolf Pack » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:24 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Wolf Pack wrote:

I don’t think it’s a case of slinging crap on the club.
It’s just the way I see it!
I think the club is in a hole that it won’t get out of.
It has been poorly run for too long and is paying the price for it.
You just can’t serve up rubbish year after year and expect people to continue to financially support the club.

To lose a dozen players and then go and recruit 3 is farcical in my opinion for a team that has finished bottom for 5 years straight.
You talk about games in to the kids?
What kids? The reserves and under 18s showed nothing last year and we have lost our 3 best young players in Sherlock, Mattingly and Mulady.

Anyway, happy to be proven wrong and have egg on my face……
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby southernbulldog » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:49 pm

Spargo $1.70 is about right any team that has players like Hosie,McBean,Allen in it just to name a few and with the recruiting of Gould ,Adams who are both guns should be odds on .Clearly the best list in the competition
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:The number of homes being built down the southern suburbs, South should prosper and be dominate for many years to come. Assuming boundaries are not changed to help Glenelg ;)

Makes zero difference. The boundaries are adjusted as to where the number of (from memory) 15 year old males reside. That said, South like Centrals have the same amount of 15 yo boys but far less of them play football as there is a large percentage of other sports in those two area's particularly soccer.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:58 pm

dedja wrote:

Norwood generally get the best rub of the zone green]to compliment their continual brown paper bag use

As you well know the biggest brown paper bag ever used was by Glenelg to get Partington.
DOC
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 pm

Hey, we might get some of our old zone back!
Attachments
IMG_4441.jpeg
IMG_4441.jpeg (102.74 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 pm

DOC wrote:
dedja wrote:

Norwood generally get the best rub of the zone green]to compliment their continual brown paper bag use

As you well know the biggest brown paper bag ever used was by Glenelg to get Partington.

First I’ve heard of this, conveniently all these years later - part of the Dom Barry deal IIRC?
Pretty sure Glenelg are the only club in the SANFL not to be done for salary cap breaching…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:46 pm

First one not sure.

Second one I think correct.
DOC
Coach

Postby knowledge » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 pm

DOC wrote:First one not sure.

Second one I think correct.

Nope. Sturt have never been fined for salary cap breaches.
knowledge
Rookie

Been liked: 74 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:23 pm

DOC wrote:
dedja wrote:

You’re telling the story, go on … :YMDAYDREAM:
dedja
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL