Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:30 am

Armchair expert wrote:
locky801 wrote:Armchair expert will be getting off on this one

Head Coach Andrew McDonald has confirmed that David Warner will be required to leave the UAE-based ILT20 league early as he will be selected for the upcoming T20I series' against the West Indies and New Zealand:
"Davey will be picked. He will come back from the ILT20. I think most of our players that are going over there are due back in on (February 7) in preparation for the T20 in Hobart."
The first T20I of the Australia-West Indies series is being held at the Blundstone Arena in Hobart on February 9. The squad will be finalised at a later date.

Nice to see him captaining the Dubai Capitals to a win overnight :-BD

Surely they won’t drop a game, how the hell do they pay better? Even the Renegades would win that comp
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:56 am

CA will drop all references to Australia Day during the Gabba Test.
What a fn joke that they try and tell us we cant have any pride in our own country anymore.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:06 am

daysofourlives wrote:CA will drop all references to Australia Day during the Gabba Test.
What a fn joke that they try and tell us we cant have any pride in our own country anymore.

Will they drop Australia from their name?

We must be a fair laughing stock to the rest of the world, the debate is annual, the result is that it hasn’t changed, how the hell do we have a public holiday but are encouraged not to celebrate it, someone need to make a decision and nip this in the bud forever.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:CA will drop all references to Australia Day during the Gabba Test.

We must be a fair laughing stock to the rest of the world, the debate is annual, the result is that it hasn’t changed, how the hell do we have a public holiday but are encouraged not to celebrate it, someone need to make a decision and nip this in the bud forever.

Agree. I'm happy for a change of date/name etc but the current situation as it stands is an absolute joke. nor here nor there.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:26 am

The annual merry go round is so incredibly tiresome.

From those who celebrate Australia Day with flags and capes and lamb bbq's to those who want the date changed to those who hurt on the day.

Change the date. Let's all celebrate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:47 am

Wonder if one or two of the quicks will be rested in Brisbane.
Work colleague was sitting in front of Ronnie and Boland on a flight up to Brisbane this morning.

Just saw that Maxwell has withdrawn from ODI series and JFM added in his spot too.
Bartlett replacing Jye Richardson in squad aswell
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:56 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

It's still Australia Day public holiday. I really disagree with organisations that become political in their stances.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:07 am

Brisbane traditionally draws poor crowds to tests so CA program the test on the Australia Day PH to get more bums on seats but then want to not acknowledge the day at all. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me and perhaps they should’ve started the test on a Saturday which would’ve allowed them to start the Adelaide test on a Friday or Saturday
Jim05
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 pm

Booney wrote:The annual merry go round is so incredibly tiresome.

From those who celebrate Australia Day with flags and capes and lamb bbq's to those who want the date changed to those who hurt on the day.

Changing the date won't change a thing,
we still came here, that's what pisses them off.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:52 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:The annual merry go round is so incredibly tiresome.

Changing the date won't change a thing,
we still came here, that's what pisses them off.

Dear me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm

I'm so confused how this Day 1 of the test will work.

No acknowledgement of Australia Day? Will Day 1 opening proceedings still be the same?
Will they still have a welcome to country? How will that be received - and equally how will it be given?
Will they have representation of the Aboriginal Flag anywhere?

Whilst the country is divided around the date, I don't believe NOT acknowledging the day is more hurtful and divisive.

Why can't they acknowledge both sides of the line that the day represents for different people, and hope that a level of maturity prevails and sport unites, and everyone can enjoy the cricket in a harmonious and celebratory environment?

As a side note, I can remember doing the National Indigenous Championships (formerly Imparja Cup), and the Aus Day ODI at Adelaide Oval used to be a platform for the squad to be introduced and acknowledged regarding the upcoming championships... never thought anything else about it, and personally enjoyed a few froths on the hill after with mates who were dressed in their Aussie bogan best.

Having said that, I've always been an advocate of changing the date, but I've never begrudged anyone that celebrates the day and what the day is supposed to represent. Each to their own.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:27 pm

The Bedge wrote:I'm so confused how this Day 1 of the test will work.

No acknowledgement of Australia Day? Will Day 1 opening proceedings still be the same?
Will they still have a welcome to country? How will that be received - and equally how will it be given?

Whilst the country is divided around the date, I don't believe NOT acknowledging the day is more hurtful and divisive.

Why can't they acknowledge both sides of the line that the day represents for different people, and hope that a level of maturity prevails and sport unites, and everyone can enjoy the cricket in a harmonious and celebratory environment?

As a side note, I can remember doing the National Indigenous Championships (formerly Imparja Cup), and the Aus Day ODI at Adelaide Oval used to be a platform for the squad to be introduced and acknowledged regarding the upcoming championships... never thought anything else about it, and personally enjoyed a few froths on the hill after with mates who were dressed in their Aussie bogan best.

Having said that, I've always been an advocate of changing the date, but I've never begrudged anyone that celebrates the day and what the day is supposed to represent. Each to their own.

Well said Bedgeman, one of your best posts ever ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:02 pm

Best bit of a very high calibre post!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:24 pm

Pucovski hit on the lid again and retires hurt from a Victoria second XI game.
Surely it’s getting to the point where he has to have the decision taken out of his hands
Jim05
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:Pucovski hit on the lid again and retires hurt from a Victoria second XI game.
Surely it’s getting to the point where he has to have the decision taken out of his hands

That's Paddy McCartin territory, needs the decision made for him.

Heard him do some commentary, he's got a bit of a future there.
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:37 pm

Good questions.

Faark knows :-??
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:Pucovski hit on the lid again and retires hurt from a Victoria second XI game.

Just watched the incident and it's fairly innocuous, looks like he got more bat on it than anything else. He batted on then went off and over or so later, I'm guessing it was purely precautionary but I wholeheartedly agree. The likely hood of him becoming an international cricketer is all but gone and he should look at what lies ahead for him after cricket. Terribly sad but his health is far more important.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:49 pm

They are letting him bat again, wtf
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1437 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Insider_Trading » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:05 pm

Nearly choked on my own rage when I saw him walking back out to bat on the live stream.

Incredible.
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby mal » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:58 pm

India Republic day 26/1
Coincidently that falls on day 2 of the India v England Test match
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times