PAFC 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: PAFC 2024

Postby Vamos » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:59 pm

The irony of this saga is, Finlayson has copped it fair-square up da pooper.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Sharksta » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:15 pm

Firstly the afl inconsistency is no surprise yet still massively frustrating. The stand is correct but the consequences need to be consistent and understandable for all.

There’s a lot of comments deriding people taking offence in this thread and across social media etc. There’s also a lot of comments which demonstrate the genuine understanding and positive movement in community attitudes.

As the 1 in 10 in SA footy village it’s not about offence and I’m no way am I offended by the phrases used. It is however about creating an environment where everyone should feel and be free to be themselves without fear and uncertainty.

I grew up in the time when gay bars had to have private function signs outside to hide what they were. All my partnered friends had separate bedrooms set up in the house for when friends and family visited. Where I made up fake boyfriends at work to make conversations less awkward. None of these things were by choice but seemed preferable or necessary based upon the inferences or passing comments that family, friends, workmates, and the broader community would make that made coming out seem socially unacceptable.

Fortunately we’ve moved beyond that in large and the freedom that comes with being one’s self is liberating which is maybe something straight people take for granted because they don’t generally have to think about it.

I try to remind myself of that when dealing with the demisexual biromantic (wtf) or the non binary pan romantic asexual (wtaf) at work who in my eyes are looking for labels that my generation sought to negate. To me the ultimate has been to be seen as the person not my sexuality.

It goes without saying that there has never been an openly gay footballer in the afl. It’s hard to know exactly why. The fact that Ian Robert’s to this date is still known as the gay rugby league player is probably part of. It’s also no one else’s business. We’ve also seen in last couple of weeks that guys in footy clubs still through about outdated terms like faggot and c$&ksucker so maybe there’s some work to still be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 pm

So well said, your strength is something we should all aspire to.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5489 times
Been liked: 5131 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:25 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:If you are using the words to insult, or in a manner that is negative or disparaging than the factual element is irrelevant.

So if I insult you, I should be suspended and put on display for the world to see?

If we were work colleagues and you insulted me with a racist or homophobic slur in my workplace and i ran to people and safety there is a fair chance you wouldn't have a job, never mind just 3 weeks off.

In saying that i can see inconsistencies in 'insults' and i don't have a clue where the line is drawn.

I'm 5ft 4 on a good day so often get called midget, small etc. I couldn't care less and no one would ever bat an eye lid when that is said to me nor do i.

However, if i called a female work colleague fat, overweight, obese I probably would have my job on the line. Both could/would be factually correct but the consequence would vary so much.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 am

Great post Sharksta!

I couldn't imagine growing up in a time when things like racism was rife and same sex relationships taboo.

Everyone should be free to be who they want to be, and do what they want to do.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4008 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

The way me and a great mate talk to each other would get us banned for life.
I'm a gay bay and he's a handbagger from Sturt.
We'd shout it at each other at training along with other expletives I'm too scared to mention now.
Funny as ***k!
Not any more.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 502 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:00 am

tigerpie wrote:The way me and a great mate talk to each other would get us banned for life.
We'd shout it at each other at training along with other expletives I'm too scared to mention now.
Funny as ***k!
Not any more.

Was it though?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7500 times
Been liked: 10787 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:27 pm

The AFL Players’ Association has come out swinging against the league for their decision to hand Port Adelaide forward a three-match suspension for using a homophobic slur.

The AFL deemed Finlayson used an “unprompted and highly offensive” remark against an unnamed Essendon player during the third quarter of the Power’s 69-point thumping of the Bombers on Friday night.

As well as missing three games, Finlayson will be required to attend a Pride In Sport training program that he will have to pay for himself.

In determining the sanction, the AFL took into account the 28-year-old apologising and owning up to his mistake the following day. The league also deemed the loss of three match payments and the requirement for Finlayson to pay his own way through the training program made a further financial penalty unnecessary.

However, the AFLPA believes the sanction is unfair, given North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson was merely fined $20,000 for calling two St Kilda players ‘c–ksuckers’ during a pre-season match, calling for an ‘urgent review of the AFL’s sanctioning framework’.

“We believe the AFL is consistently inconsistent and there are double standards in its approach to dealing with players compared to others on behavioural matters,” Players’ Association boss Paul Marsh said.

“This issue highlights the lack of clarity on how the AFL handles these situations, and we want this to be the catalyst for an urgent review of the sanctioning framework.

“If this type of conduct is a three-week sanction for a player, it should be for everyone involved in the game and this should be clear to everyone in the industry up-front, rather than the open-ended approach that is currently in place.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:39 pm

The Herald Sun’s Lauren Wood, speaking on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle, explained what the AFL saw as the difference between the Clarkson and Finlayson slurs.

“First things first is the actual slur that was used, the actual word. Clarkson’s was probably not considered by those who were investigating to be as openly homophobic, whereas Finlayson’s was incredibly pointed, incredibly cutting, total no-go zone,” she said.

“Then they looked at the provocation. Finlayson was basically unprovoked, Clarkson’s situation, the environment was highly charged, he had St Kilda players coming at him (after the Jimmy Webster bump), he was going back at them.”
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:54 pm

Finlayson was basically unprovoked,

Interesting.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:19 pm

Booney wrote:Finlayson was basically unprovoked,

Interesting.

Not excusing him, but he is not in a good headspace by the looks of it and understandably so.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2613 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Vamos » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:23 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:Finlayson was basically unprovoked,

Interesting.

Not excusing him, but he is not in a good headspace by the looks of it and understandably so.

I have noticed in games this year he's seemed very irritated and frustrated. Probably needs to have a spell and focus on his more important personal life. Nobody could speak ill of him if he were to do that.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Booney wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The way me and a great mate talk to each other would get us banned for life.
Funny as ***k!
Not any more.

Was it though?[/quote
Geez boon ya making me think about it.
Nah yep yep it was funny.
Lightened the mood when training got tough.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:03 pm

I was going to quote but you've botched it badly.

The irony is the modern generation is seen as narcissistic and it's all about them but hey, as long as you and your mates got a chuckle what does it matter?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:14 pm

Booney wrote:I was going to quote but you've botched it badly.

The irony is the modern generation is seen as narcissistic and it's all about them but hey, as long as you and your mates got a chuckle what does it matter?

I did say "not anymore".
I'm sure me and my mates got up to lots of stuff you might've not thought humourous and vice versa.
Times change.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:I was going to quote but you've botched it badly.

I did say "not anymore".
I'm sure me and my mates got up to lots of stuff you might've not thought humourous and vice versa.
Times change.

Spot on Tigerpie. I am sure back when Booney played cricket and football he would have used these sayings often, we all did. Now that we are better educated of course we don't use them.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby MW » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:36 pm

We don't but the kids still do. It is probably worse now in the school yard than it ever was.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2613 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Vamos » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:55 pm

How about PAFC talk goes here, a few in here need a 250ml serving of Lighten Up n Go :lol:
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby Spargo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:57 pm

Vamos wrote:How about PAFC talk goes here, a few in here need a 250ml serving of Lighten Up n Go :lol:

You need to keep your powder dry & come back in about 12 hours…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5489 times
Been liked: 5131 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Vamos » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:01 pm

Spargo wrote:
Vamos wrote:How about PAFC talk goes here, a few in here need a 250ml serving of Lighten Up n Go :lol:

You need to keep your powder dry & come back in about 12 hours…

It is Thirstday and also RDO eve, lookout!
Vamos
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL