Centrals news

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Centrals news

Postby Grand Central » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Four-time premiership ruckman Paul Scoullar has signed with the Dogs for 2006 ending speculation he was heading back to NSW with his young family. I believe his new job in Adelaide was also a factor in him staying at Centrals.
Grand Central
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Centrals news

Postby Jimmy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:16 pm

Grand Central wrote:Four-time premiership ruckman Paul Scoullar has signed with the Dogs for 2006 ending speculation he was heading back to NSW with his young family. I believe his new job in Adelaide was also a factor in him staying at Centrals.

Great news for the pups, bad for everyone else...has developed nicely into a much needed player.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby stan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:07 pm

I think also the Gowans boys are staying for another yeah. I got that from footysa. Bad news for all of us again.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Grand Central » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Mind you Tyson Hay is departing for a great job opportunity interstate (he's an accountant). With Hay and Hopwood leaving that leaves a fair hole in Central's defence.
Grand Central
Rookie

Postby Wedgie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:52 pm

What's the latest on Paul Thomas?
Earlier in the week Essendon said they were keeping him, then they said they'd delisted him.
Latest I've heard is he's still a chance of being redrafted by Essendon.
Poor guy's on a bloody rollercoaster, I hope for North's sake he stays with Essendon as he's a bloody champion for the Dogs!
Last edited by Wedgie on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:57 pm

I saw him play a few games for the bombers, and really i didnt think hey played too bad at all. So i was a bit surprised when it was announced he was being delisted. but then he may get pick up by the bombers again. Poor guy,
stan
Coach

Postby Grand Central » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah, I feel for Thommo. He's a great bloke and to be shunted side to side by the Bombers must be messing with his mind. He was over for the grand final and I was surprised at how much he's filled out with a season of weights and AFL training under his belt.

The next club captain is likely to be Steinberner and I reckon Thomas will be next in line.
Grand Central
Rookie

Postby stan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:01 pm

Im just still not sure that this is going to be the end of his AFL life. He's not a bad player, given a few more games and you never know.
stan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:26 am

I gotta agree actually, the little bit I saw of Thomas playing for the Bombers I thought he went alright ... GC, how old is Steinberner??
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Got this from a mate yesterday...sent it to Centralian but he obviously hasn't checked his emails yet.

"Brett Knowles Has all but been given the sack from Ainslie and
according to one of his mates, knowlesy is almost a certain starter at
Centrals. His girlfriend lives in Adelaide and he will move back there
for sure and the word is centrals will get him!!!"

As for Paul Thomas, it's sounding more and more like Bombers will re-draft Murphy IF they get Camporeale...it appears these blokes are practically best mates and Murphy had a huge say in Campo choosing the Bombers as his preferred destination in the PSD.

Richmond are keen on Paul Thomas, though they're most likely going to be looking at Llane Spaandermann and Kasey Green first...

I personally would be delighted to get Thommo...
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:54 pm

Interesting TB, Knowles is a very very good player. We had some rumours last year he was heading back out way as he sat in the Grandstand for the last prossy game and had some drinks with the lads.
Be a very good pick up for the Dogs, not only a good player but has leadership qualities about him.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby smac » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 pm

My first question as a dogs supporter is: Why is he getting the sack from Ainslie?

Not interested in any players who will be disruptive to the set up.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:23 pm

It's a fair question mate and I hadn't pondered that scenario.

I'm not privy to why either, but I'll endeavour to find out. :wink:
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby smac » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Cheers TB.

Good to see you here also, you post some interesting and funny stuff at times.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby LBJ8 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:39 pm

Heard if Woewoedin or whatever his name is is a sure thing for Centrals if he doesn't get picked up in the draft...Would be very handy.
GO THE BAYS
LBJ8
Rookie

Postby Gilly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Paul Thomas was interviewed on KG & Cornesy's show tonight. He said that he hasn't been delisted - yet. Apparently clubs have to submit their lists by 31/10 and he's been told that he's still on it but Essendon may opt to delist him after the national draft but prior to the pre-season draft. This will give them the option to pick him up again at that time. I can't believe they even think a decision needs to be made between an old hack like Murphy and a talent like Thomas.

The good news for Centrals supporters is that regardless of what happens, he plans to come back to Centrals when his AFL career is over.
Last edited by Gilly on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilly
Rookie

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Christ how poorly organised is the Essendon FC?

My mate from work who is a mad Central man emailed Essendon as he saw on their website that Thomas had been kept on the list, this was on 27/10. He got an email back saying that Thomas had definately been delisted.
Now he says he hasn't.

Good luck to the lad though, top player and top bloke from what Ive heard, just hope Essendon don't screw him around too much.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mick » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:05 pm

He was on KG and Cornsey's show tonight, I got the impression that he's not been delisted at this point in time.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Centrals Best And Fairest

Postby Grand Central » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:41 am

Marco Bello took it out this year. It's his second Norm Russell medal. Chris Gowans and Simon Arnott tok out second and third spot respectively.
Grand Central
Rookie

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:01 pm

Here's the LATEST on Brett Knowles and his potential sacking from Ainslie...

Ainslie in turmoil as players take stand against Knowles
SWalsh
Monday, 24 October 2005

A player revolt against current Ainslie coach Brett Knowles has threatened to derail the Kangaroos' 2006 AFL Canberra season.

Rumoured post-season departures and delays in re-signing highly paid players have left the club's preparations for next year in limbo.

Up to six senior players faced board representatives and Knowles at a crisis meeting last week to resolve the stand-off, believed to hinge on whether the coach fulfils the remaining two years of his contract.

The meeting followed reports linking star midfielder Lucas Matthews with a shift to Cairns, key defender Paul Grayling with a return to Melbourne or a move to Albury, confirmation ACT onballer Peter McGrath had applied to coach Tuggeranong and suggestion league leading goalkicker James Kavanagh was considering sitting out 2006.

The Canberra Times believes Knowles' leadership is the cause of player unrest.

Knowles was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The turmoil comes despite the ACT representative coach and former St Kilda midfielder having led Ainslie to its third successive finals campaign in 2005.

Knowles has served one year of his current three-year contract with Ainslie, which would see him through until the end of the 2007 season.

But several senior players out of contract for 2006 are believed to be withholding signing new deals, effectively demanding the club's board review its coaching plans.

The delays have left the Ainslie board with two main options:

KEEP Knowles as coach and risk losing players to the boycott.

SACK Knowles as coach and hope disgruntled players re-sign.

A decision to axe Knowles would leave Ainslie with a desperate search for a quality replacement late in coach-hunting season.

The club is already searching for a playing assistant coach. Top of the list is former Queanbeyan onballer Billy Neely, currently at SANFL club Glenelg.

Ainslie board member Brent Heaver, who played under Knowles for two seasons before he retired at the end of 2004, said he had confidence in the club's coaching staff.

"I got on alright with Brett. I thought he did a pretty good job when I was playing," the former Carlton and Port Adelaide player and former Ainslie leader said.

"Brett runs the place well, the guys are fit and apart from probably two finals games, we had a very good year this year."

Ainslie recruited Knowles for the 2003 season as a 24-year-old to coach the traditional AFL Canberra power.

Knowles has delivered top-four finishes in each of his three seasons at the helm but remains without a finals victory.

Ainslie made a clear attempt to shake its reputation as an open-chequebook recruiter in 2005, filling the departure of 13 senior-experienced players with largely younger players already at the club.

The move resulted in a second-placing after the minor round before a preliminary-final loss to Belconnen.

Ainslie football manager Garry Lawless said 2005 had been a step forward for the club.

"All the indicators are we're heading in the right direction," Lawless said.

"We had the top two goalkickers in the league, we've given a dozen players under 21 the opportunity to play senior football, we had the representative coach and seven other rep players, Paul Grayling won a league award and Brett Knowles won The Canberra Times best player award."

Lawless refused to be drawn in on talks about Knowles' coaching future, simply saying, "He's contracted for another two years."
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL