Round 2 2008 Port v South @ Alberton

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 2 2008 Port v South @ Alberton

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Expect to see South play a lot more accountable footy under Jack. Signs of commitment and intensity so far will hopefully ensure the Panthers are competitive week in, week out and the opposition will need to earn their wins, something sorely lacking in 2007 with a stronger list. (always good to get a TV game early before our footy starts over here and I can watch it!!)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Re: Round 2 2008 Port v South @ Alberton

Postby smac » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:41 pm

SouthPeter! :wink: :lol:
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:52 pm

smac wrote:SouthPeter! :wink: :lol:

:shock: :vom: :vom:
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Postby darley16 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:57 pm

SMAC that is kinda funny. However, still no ruckman again this week so again Ian Prendergast will need to repeat his BOG performance. Tough to beat those buggers at Alberton and we always seem to perform poorly when on TV, camera shy wallflowers. But i didn't expect a first up win either, Jack is back and "the jaw" will be out to get him should in theory be close.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby smac » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:00 pm

I'd tip it to be the game of the round, Port (in particular Coach Tim) would be looking to prove a thing or 2 against Jack, Jack would be keen as all buggery to beat Port and both sides have shown a bit in round 1. All makes for what should be a cracker.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:Expect to see South play a lot more accountable footy under Jack. Signs of commitment and intensity so far will hopefully ensure the Panthers are competitive week in, week out and the opposition will need to earn their wins, something sorely lacking in 2007 with a stronger list. (always good to get a TV game early before our footy starts over here and I can watch it!!)

Obviously the ABC had pre-selected this game to broadcast as it "Jack v His Old Mob". This is shown in Phil Herden's post with the Media Covergae Allocation which shows all radio coverage and televised games for the SANFL rounds 1 through 4. I don't have a problem with the reason behind the choice and I can understand, to a degree, why this game was chosen. :roll:

BUT.... Surely from a "footballing spectacle", the game of the round is clearly the clash at Unley between the top 2 sides, Centrals and Sturt. It's just a bit frustrating (as a Doggies supporter) that the reigning premiers don't have a game televised in the first 4 rounds. Now before people respond, I AM AWARE that our first 4 rounds include 2 night games and a bye, so SURELY, that would be reason enough to allocate this game to the telly. :-k

Now I also know that at the start of the year the ABC sports directors would have not obviously known that this would be a top of the table clash because a ball hadn't even been bounced yet. But I guess if they know their stuff, they would have thought, with Sturt's strong recruiting and the fact the Dogs are reigning premiers, it would have been the better game to televise. I guess I'm just a bit more annoyed as I will probably be playing a trial game in the amatuers myself and would have been able to tape it then watch the replay. #-o

Now I know it sounds like I'm just having a big whinge (which in a way, I am) and I certainly don't think or expect that the whole SANFL revolves around Centrals, because it doesn't... :-#

I'M JUST USING THIS AS AN AVENUE TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST BECAUSE I RECKON THE MISSUS WOULDN'T GIVE A SHIT WHO THEY SHOW ON THE TELLY... !!! [-( ](*,) :-s

Regardless of all that, all 4 games should be pretty competitive and I look forward to seeing the results of all. Especially looking forward to seeing how Westies go for the first time AND of course anticipating a Doggies win at Unley Oval (sorry, I forgot, as per Hamra Homes Oval it is now know as "House Brother's Oval") :wink:

GO U DOGGIES... :D

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby drebin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Big Phil wrote: Surely from a "footballing spectacle", the game of the round is clearly the clash at Unley between the top 2 sides, Centrals and Sturt. It's just a bit frustrating (as a Doggies supporter) that the reigning premiers don't have a game televised in the first 4 rounds. Now before people respond, I AM AWARE that our first 4 rounds include 2 night games and a bye, so SURELY, that would be reason enough to allocate this game to the telly.

Now I also know that at the start of the year the ABC sports directors would have not obviously known that this would be a top of the table clash because a ball hadn't even been bounced yet. But I guess if they know their stuff, they would have thought, with Sturt's strong recruiting and the fact the Dogs are reigning premiers, it would have been the better game to televise. Big Phil...

Good points made there Big Phil but my "mail" out of the ABC is that it is an easier match day set-up for the ABC at Alberton than at Unley. Apparently Unley is their least preferred Oval to broadcast from (for reasons they won't state???) so that may be more on the money although the ABC would never officially announce that fact.
drebin

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:44 pm

And going on a game of the week basis South & Norwood supporters living outside of Adelaide may not have been given a chance to see their teams play all year. That sir is not fair either, all 9 clubs deserve the chance to have a couple of games televised per year.

It's also only round 2 as well mate, what would you be like if it was round 20 and the double chance was on the line...... :roll:
westcoastpanther
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:22 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:And going on a game of the week basis South & Norwood supporters living outside of Adelaide may not have been given a chance to see their teams play all year. That sir is not fair either, all 9 clubs deserve the chance to have a couple of games televised per year.

It's also only round 2 as well mate, what would you be like if it was round 20 and the double chance was on the line...... :roll:

Relax westcoastpanther, although I'm dissapointed, I understand it has to be fair to all clubs.

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying... It's all good, I was just having a whinge, I'm not going to petition the ABC to change the coverage or anything like that...

I see your point of view being a supporter that lives outside of Adelaide, I understand mate. 8)

To get my Centrals fix on the telly, I might have to pull out the DVD of last years GF !!! :D :wink:

GO U DOGGIES... :D :D :D

Big Phil...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby bosvit » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Yep as far as I can remember WAFC only had 1 replay last year.

The SANFL needs to make sure all teams get reasonably regular broadcasts no matter how far down the ladder they are.

Of course the top teams should get a lot more coverage but 1 game out of 20 seems rather low. We didn't fare too well on radio either :roll:
Never argue with an idiot, those watching may not be able to tell the difference
bosvit
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Boon+ bowling club = beers.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10868 times

Postby RoosterMarty » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

BigPhil other teams deserve a crack as well, and I'm not sure whether it was last year or the year before that North hardly got any games on TV at all, their first wasn't until Round 5 or 6 perhaps.

This has a bit riding on it too, Jack vs his own team at Alberton... South players will be desperate to get up for him.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby Hazbeen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:16 am

How will the Port faithfull greet Jack? Boos or quite acknowledgement?
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 123 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 am

Hazbeen wrote:How will the Port faithfull greet Jack? Boos or quite acknowledgement?

To borrow an old African-American saying...

"Any Port supporter who even dreams of booing Jack should wake up and apologize!"
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times

Postby Elbows » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 pm

[quote="darley16"]SMAC that is kinda funny. However, still no ruckman again this week so again Ian Prendergast will need to repeat his BOG performance. Tough to beat those buggers at Alberton and we always seem to perform poorly when on TV, camera shy wallflowers. But i didn't expect a first up win either, Jack is back and "the jaw" will be out to get him should in theory be close.[If you didnt have a total clown like Craig Parry going the biff every game Darley16 you wouldnt have to rely on recycled hasbeens like Prendergast in the first place. Lucky only to get two matches from what I've heard]
Elbows

Postby Sojourner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:42 pm

[quote="Elbows] you wouldnt have to rely on recycled hasbeens like Prendergast in the first place.[/quote]

How many Sydney players are lining up for Norwood this year as opposed to Carlton players at South?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby vicexsa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Great to see Jack back at Alberton, hopefully he will catch up with "old" mates that are still building empires down there. About time his "old" mates moved on as well!!!!! Whatever Jack wanted Jack got in the past at Alberton, had good players in great teams. Sorry don't know much about the current South side, but they are going to need to be good, Jack is past it!! Don't reckon Timmy is the right man for the job at Alberton, he's just doing what he is told by Jacks "old" mates anyway!!!! Who cares who wins?
Both coach's won't be there for their clubs future because it lies with others!!
vicexsa
Mini-League

Postby Elbows » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Sojourner wrote:[

How many Sydney players are lining up for Norwood this year as opposed to Carlton players at South?[quote="Sojourner"]From what I saw last Friday night against Sturt...a few too many!...
Elbows

Postby panthers 2008 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Should be a very good game! I am looking forward to getting down to Alberton to see how the boys fare.In the past the panthers have copped a few hidings down there,so I hpoe we are switched on from the start.
Not having a recognised ruckmen is going to make the going tough,but if the boys play committed hard running football we may just be a chance. Win at Alberton and their confidence will be sky high! GO PANTHERS!!!!!
panthers 2008
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Jack said the same thing last week panthers, "we have no recognised ruckmen its going to be tough".

Glenelg went into the game "cocky" as, knowing the injuries & suspensions South had, they thought they only had to show up to get the points, nicely played by Jack during the week!! 8)

Don't think Port will be fooled by Jacks cries for sympathy, injuries or not South will be show'n this week why they'll finish bottom. :lol:
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL