Rd 4 Sturt v Eagles Review

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Rd 4 Sturt v Eagles Review

Postby scott » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Sturt 5.2 8.8 12.9 16.10 (106)
Eagles 5.2 10.4 15.5 24.6 (150)

Goals:
Sturt - Gum 3, Crane 3, Chambers 2, Giles 2, Vassal 2, Evans, Cubillo, Pittard, Herring.
Eagles - Cheep 4, Goldsworthy 4, Welsh 3, Groke 3, Broadbent 3, Salter 3, Geddes, Miles, Lewis, Powell.

Ladder with 2 games to go this round:

Last edited by scott on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Rd 4 Sturt v Eagles Review

Postby scott » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Highlighting a demolition job in the last quarter in which the Eagles kicked 9.1 to 4.1:

Disposals Q4
Sturt 70 - 88 Eagles

Short Kicks Q4
Sturt 11 - 24 Eagles

Hard Ball Gets Q4
Sturt 7 - 13 Eagles

Goals/Inside 50s Q4
Sturt 4/12 - 9/16 Eagles
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 pm

From the bits I saw Eagles were very impressive, very clean and great pressure on Sturt (Gods knows the plan I feel)

Rimmington made a bit of a dick of himself in the changerooms after the game though! :oops:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Overall, very happy with the performance and winning comfortably at Unley.
The only downside was again a small drop-off during the second quarter, and were perhaps a little lucky Sturt didn't kick one or two more to extended their lead and changed the complexion of the game.
Once again, Miles going back into the ruck at this time turned it back the Eagles way. He would just about be the most improved player in the comp.
Sturt losing Thurstans stretched their backline with our talls. Balanced out though by the injury to Treeby.
Really was a case of all played well, everyone doing their job. McKenzie was probably the only player who didn't play with his usual effectiveness, obviously still finding touch after injury. Salter and Welsh not quite clicking together just yet.
Thought Grocke was excellent, Miles, Jarrad, Powell his usual self, Goldsworthy excellent and doing alot of hard work too, some of the second-tier players like Lewis and Cheep really contributing to the team effort. Greiger did an solid, unheralded type of job on Chambers.
Enjoyable game, high pressure yet still high scoring. Skills were solid, maybe not spectacular. Umpiring in general was good compared to the previous rounds, less soft stuff and more like how the SANFL should be umpired IMO
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Dog-boy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Watched this game on TV (The crows were playing there usual useless crappy football) and the Eagles looked good,i believe they will have the best forward setup of any SANFL team especially when Salter and Welsh learn to combine better.
Dog-boy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:46 pm

A terrific game of footy. The polar opposite to last week's game (thanks Nathan) and exactly how footy should be played.

The Eagles came out really switched on and two early goals came of it. Sturt found their feet not long after though and by quarter time the scores were just about level - 5 goals each. Sturt's most dominant period of the game was the first 10-15 minutes of the 2nd quarter, but the Eagles were able to hold steady and ended up in front by about two goals at half time.

The 3rd quarter was much of the same with the Eagles able to continue to pressure Sturt and get a handy lead of about 3 goals at 3 quarter time. The last quarter was most impressive from an Eagles point of view, extending the lead out to 8 goals and running out the game very well despite missing Leigh Treeby since quarter time.

It was hard to pick out best players. It really was a team effort. Jarrad, Broadbent, Goldsworthy and Miles were terrific. Cheep bobbed up with 4 goals. Welsh and Rowntree got into the game as it wore on and Grocke played a good 100th game. Crane was outstanding in the first half for Sturt, but in the end it was the solid contribution of the 20 Eagles players that saw a fairly comfortable victory and a handy percentage boost against what should be a team that is pushing top 3.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby on the rails » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Dog-boy wrote:Watched this game on TV (The crows were playing there usual useless crappy football) and the Eagles looked good,i believe they will have the best forward setup of any SANFL team especially when Salter and Welsh learn to combine better.

I agree 100 percent with that having seen the Eagles for the first time this season via TV. They will be deadset top 3 side and it is not only their fwd line who are very good, they have pace, size and height all over the ground. I didn't think Sturt played too badly but the Eagles looked very good especially how they finished the game off.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby EaglesFan18 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 pm

Does anyone know what happened to treeby
EaglesFan18
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Woodville South

Postby bayman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:03 pm

well last week i thought glenelg had no spark & had an insipid, lacklustre performance while sturt were fantastic, 7 days later (although injury riddled) sturt were insipid & lack the spark that was evident last week & i presume jaensch sat in the grandstand at footy park :shock: the eagles were like sturt were last week they were great they ran in numbers & had plenty of winners all over the ground, i thought grocke was best on ground, while i thought vassell & evans were sturts best players.....the last 2 weeks have taught me that while the sanfl over the last few seasons have been very predictable this year may not be the same & there is no doubt that if a team isn't 100% prepared & fully focussed they will get beat, well done to the eagles they played very well especially after half time
i thought secret groups were a thing of the past, well not on websites anyway
bayman
Coach

Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:03 pm

EaglesFan18 wrote:Does anyone know what happened to treeby

Looked from the sidelines like it was his left shoulder again, but I could be wrong.
Aerie
Coach

Postby spell_check » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Aerie wrote:

Looked from the sidelines like it was his left shoulder again, but I could be wrong.

Corked hip.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:08 pm

spell_check wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Corked hip.

That's good news then!
Aerie
Coach

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Fantastic game by our guys!!!

The way we finished the 2nd & 3rd terms was superb - full of running :D

Thought Broadbent was excellent all day.
Powell very good, as was Todd Miles (hasn't he improved?) 8)

Without wanting to state the obvious... Best game this year.

Welsh is just beginning to find touch, too 8)

Go Eagles!!! :D
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Big Phil » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Spoke to Eagles CEO Chris Davies after the game and he was of course a very happy man...

Said Treeby just copped a corkie on the hip, as already mentioned, and should be right to play next week...

Good news for the Eagles and Leigh because he had an operation in both hips in the off season so it could have been worse...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Sturt in serious struggle town now 1-3 with the Dogs at the beff nextw week, if they lose next week you would think a top 3 spot is gone.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:From the bits I saw Eagles were very impressive, very clean and great pressure on Sturt (Gods knows the plan I feel)

Rimmington made a bit of a dick of himself in the changerooms after the game though! :oops:

What he do?
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby centrecirclelegend » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:56 pm

onimous win by the Eagles today....

Broadbent outstanding.....
Grocke outstanding.....
Goldsworthy very good.....
Powell back to his best.....

the Eagles were very efficient and out muscled and out run Sturt.....
centrecirclelegend
Under 16s

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Very happy with the win today - it was our first test against a team that will most likely be thereabouts at the business end of the season.

A lesson to people who intend to attend a game at Unley Oval this year - the scoreboard and game clock should only be used as an approximate guide and is not a true indication of the actual score and time elapsed. Numerous times the scoreboard was incorrect, whilst the game clock stops when reaching 30mins, and in the 2nd quarter wasn't started until about 2mins into the quarter.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Been liked: 12 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:13 pm

bayman wrote:well last week i thought glenelg had no spark & had an insipid, lacklustre performance while sturt were fantastic, 7 days later (although injury riddled) sturt were insipid & lack the spark that was evident last week & i presume jaensch sat in the grandstand at footy park :shock: the eagles were like sturt were last week they were great they ran in numbers & had plenty of winners all over the ground, i thought grocke was best on ground, while i thought vassell & evans were sturts best players.....the last 2 weeks have taught me that while the sanfl over the last few seasons have been very predictable this year may not be the same & there is no doubt that if a team isn't 100% prepared & fully focussed they will get beat, well done to the eagles they played very well especially after half time

Yeah, Sturt were unfortunate with the Jaensch situation. However Banner was dropped from the Power and didn't play today.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Maybe we were just finding our feet in the first two rounds. Perhaps Godds' game plan makes us once again match up well against Sturt ala back to the 14 match winning streak between 2003 and 2008. It was deplorable footy last week; this week was 1000% better. How can you lose scoring 150 points?

A constant throughout the three matches so far is the final quarter. Contrary to belief, this is the quarter won the most by the winning team. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14778&start=0 The three final quarters have netted 19.6 to 9.1.

MALigned as he is, Cheep was pretty good today until he went off with what's probably a rolled ankle. Goldsworthy was lively, Powell and Jarrad productive, the 100 gamer Grocke did all the things he is noted for, Miles once again did well when he moved into the ruck. Another impressive thing for me is the array of goalkickers. No-one was relied upon to score the goals, and this causes real headaches for opposition coaches!

Also another mention to Grieger; who again reminds me of Steven Hall did what Hally used to do and keep Chambers in check. He kicked 18 goals last year in the two matches - today only two.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL