The Quest - Ashes 2013/14

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

The Quest - Ashes 2013/14

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am

I reckon we'll hold our own against the Indians over there so I'm thinking ahead to the Ashes. I reckon that we are the third best team in the world at the moment and this will be proven to us in no uncertain terms over the next 14 Tests.

While I'm not as negative as Ian Chappell about the state of our top order I agree with him that it isn't settled and we need it sorted quickly. It's pretty clear now that Watto can't bat and bowl for extended periods at Test level. It is also clear that his batting has gone downhill at a rate of Alan Knotts since he started getting shuffled down to the middle order (along with the lack of match time as well). Watson's best batting has been as opener so he should open. I'm not sold on Hughes but I reckon he should open with him and play the destructive Warner at three. Warner plays one way and his natural game is naturally suited to the number three position. The more of Cowan I see the less I like. For me one two three is Watson, Hughes, Warner.

Our middle order has been decimated by the recent retirement of two greats. This means that Micheal Clarke can no longer take the soft option of batting at five. It's time our best batsman moved up to at least four in the order. This means that when we try to blood the next Pontings and Husseys we don't feed the newbies to the sharks like we did to Rob Quinney. So who are our last two batsmen? I reckon Kwahaja deserves the number five spot and I'm liking Aaron Finch as a smokey at number six. If we do try a new batsman HE MUST GO TO INDIA. We need our team settled before we head to England.

Wade at seven is the automatic keeper choice at this stage. I don't think we can afford to go in a batsman short against England so I'm not liking the model we used in Sydney to take on the Poms. So we are going in with four bowlers.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I've turned around my thinking on Mitchell Johnson who has proven that he deserves a shot at Ashes redemption. Not because of wickets, but because of what type of bowling is going on when he is NOT taking wickets. My main knock on Johnson is that he was going for five runs an over so you couldn't put the pressure on. He's bowling looks more accurate and he has the look of a mature cricketer who knows what he needs to do to retain that Baggy Green cap. So that's Johnson at eight.

Now that we have a rotation policy perhaps we might not need to take a decision that would stump many. Do many of you beleive that the Poms aren't scared of Siddle and he wouldn't worry them that much? Siddle is lion hearted and works his arse off but I don't see him getting lots of wickets against England, he bowls too short too often.

If it was my choice I'd go Bird and Pattinson ahead of Siddle with Lyon to have a lot more fun in England than he has had this season. I'm not sold on Starc and Johnson being in the same side and no thanks to Hilfy please, not enough tricks.

So my first XI would be

WATSON
HUGHES
WARNER
CLARKE
KHAWAJA
FINCH
WADE
JOHNSON
PATTINSON
LYON
BIRD
12th SIDDLE

Not sure how many they take to England these days but the other five would be

STARC
PAINE (they'll take HADDIN)
COWAN
HARRIS
BAILEY

Needs more New South Welshmen! Siddle lovers start your engines! ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Re: The Quest - Ashes 2013/14

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am

My biggest gripe with Johnson is his lack of consistency - consistency during the game and from match to match. In Melbourne he was amazing and everyone was back on the wagon, but i thought in Sydney he was absolutely awful.

I think Starc and Johnson in the same team wouldn't work, but on the flip side having the two lefties creates areas for Lyon to then attack.

Cant see Siddle being much threat, but i love the bloke and he is like the spiritual leader.

Bird will go well in England i think, he bowls good areas and gets the ball to swing - anyone who can swing the ball is going to be dangerous.

Hughes at 3, Watson to open if he comes back in, Khawaja in and what about Ferguson as a smoky?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby CoverKing » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am

Finch :lol: hahahahaha

Funniest thing I've read. He has averaged something like 11.3 this shield year. Under 30 in his first class career.

No thanks!

Would rather ferguson at 6 and I'm no ferguson fan that's for sure
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Coach Bombay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

Would slot Cummins in to the squad. Finch cant bat in the longer formats. Doolan and Burns are class.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

Siddle is the carrier of the torch that you can take back to Merv and Big Garth. Hard working, gutsy, committed - Australian spiritual. Hard to see him not going and playing a role.
Johnston, I'm still not sold on either.
I definitely agree that we need to go in with six batsmen. Finch is an interesting choice but I can't really throw up another solution. Dooland?
Batting is definitely going to be an issue.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote: I reckon Kwahaja deserves the number five spot and I'm liking Aaron Finch as a smokey at number six. If we do try a new batsman HE MUST GO TO INDIA. We need our team settled before we head to England.

I like this REB

I can't believe I'm saying this but I've turned around my thinking on Mitchell Johnson who has proven that he deserves a shot at Ashes redemption. Not because of wickets, but because of what type of bowling is going on when he is NOT taking wickets. My main knock on Johnson is that he was going for five runs an over so you couldn't put the pressure on. He's bowling looks more accurate and he has the look of a mature cricketer who knows what he needs to do to retain that Baggy Green cap. So that's Johnson at eight.

Not convinced here REB. Did nothing to deserve a recall, but will admit he bowled well in Melb for a whole 6 wickets and made runs against a decimated and very average bowling lineup. Will agree he has tightened up his accuracy a bit. I'll swap Starc for him, but Johnson still goes to England.

Siddle is lion hearted and works his arse off but I don't see him getting lots of wickets against England, he bowls too short too often.

If it was my choice I'd go Bird and Pattinson ahead of Siddle with Lyon to have a lot more fun in England than he has had this season. I'm not sold on Starc and Johnson being in the same side and no thanks to Hilfy please, not enough tricks.

I'll go Bird, Siddle Starc and Lyon. Pattinson for first reserve!

So my first XI would be

WATSON
HUGHES
WARNER
CLARKE
KHAWAJA
FINCH
WADE
JOHNSON (Starc)
PATTINSON (Siddle)
LYON
BIRD
12th SIDDLE (Pattinson)

Not sure how many they take to England these days but the other five would be

STARC (Johnson)
PAINE (they'll take HADDIN) Yep- agree on Paine/Haddin scenario
COWAN (As no other openers in Australia are doing anything, maybe Doolan (Tas))
HARRIS (Smith or *gulp* Henriques (cant believe I have just typed that) just for your NSW flavour REB
BAILEY (Yep level head with experience- or Ferguson if they must.)

I have no opinion on the top order as there really isnt much else to deal with. Cowan/Warner/Watson/Hughes. Pick whatever 3 there!

Please dont take Cummins until he can see at least a full day of play. He has talent but no use taking someone who cant stand up to actually getting on the field.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Alex Doolan is the only batsman making a large volume of runs in the shield comp. Id take him over to India and England

Siddle will get a gig no questions, which leaves one of Pattinson, Bird, Johnson or Lyon to miss out.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Clarke comment, needs to bat at 4 now.

If everyones fit, id like to see:

1. Watson
2. Warner
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Khawaja
6. Doolan
7. Wade
8. Pattinson
9. Siddle
10. Lyon
11. Bird

Players to miss out would include Johnson, Starc, Haddin and Cowan
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Yep ill be in the firing line as well, I love Siddles' character but just smashing in and banging into the wicket isn't going to scare the English one bit. We now have a few bowlers who can swing and move the thing around there going to be valuable, especially considering reverse swing seems to be the key over there.

For me 4 bowlers

Pattinson
Johnson
Bird
Lyon and if they go with 4 seamers then Siddle
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby CENTURION » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Starc is a must, not too many people can bowl in-swinging sandshoe crushers like he does, Bird looks good too. Get Cummins fit & take him, together with Siddle & Pattinson, they should bowl out the poms every inning.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Bird over Pattinson i think. As with Cummins, i'd prefer to see Pattinson get some decent amount of cricket under the belt first at FC level before rushing him back into the test side where he might break down again.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby CENTURION » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

don't take Johnson, we need a consistent mover of the ball. they've seen him before.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I like Starc, a work in progress but he's probably fourth or fifth in line at the moment.

Also a fan of Cowan's grit and fight and happy for him to make a100 in a day while others make runs around him. What has been disappointing is for a fighter he hasn't valued his wicket enough after getting a start, and yesterday was another example.

I still like Watson/Cowan opening and Warner at 5, which would only leave one spot. Will Warner's style work as an opener in English conditions?
Would like to see Quiney get another go given how he was treated first time around. If they don't play Watson, then him at five and Kwahja at 6.

Boyce for India?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Bird over Pattinson i think. As with Cummins, i'd prefer to see Pattinson get some decent amount of cricket under the belt first at FC level before rushing him back into the test side where he might break down again.

Agree about Cummins PG, especially for experience and learning about the game. Remember he has only played 4 FC matches, and none since that 2011 test. Would like to see him get another 5 FC matches under his belt.

Was going to disagree about Pattinson as I think he is the no 1 quick we have, but then got to thinking with his injuries would he be better playing the Shield season out here or slogging his guts out in the unforgiving Indian conditions. But Pattinson defintely for ENgland.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Siddle is an automatic, he proved against the best batting side in world cricket how good he is.
Bird will do well in the English conditiions.
Can only have one lefty in the squad, at this stage im taking Starc over MJ
Lyon will probably get a gig but if we decide on 4 quicks then Cummins or Patto.
My side for the Ashes
Cowan
Watto
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Khawaja
Nevill ( wishful thinking, Wade will play)
Siddle
Starc
Bird
Pattinson/Cummins/Lyon
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby lutz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Not sure about Bailey getting a spot in the Ashes squad REB, he's lucky to be in the ODI squad imo.
Starc is overrated. He doesn't get top order players out. Sure he can get the Sri Lankan tail out (which is probably the worst I've seen), and bowl the odd good yorker, but you aren't gonna get your Bell's, Cook's and Trott's out like that.
lutz
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Too early yet. Still got the rest of the domestic summer and India tour yet.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Hondo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

I wouldn't not pick Cowan on principle if it then means we have to scrape the barrell to find a number 6 batsman.

I'd just filter Hughes/Watto/Warner down the order and let Clarke stay at 5.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

lutz wrote:
Starc is overrated. He doesn't get top order players out.

A quick look at the stats in Perth say otherwise lutz. And yes he knocked the tail off to win the test in Hobart, yet no one else really threatened...

I reckon he bowls genuine wicket taking balls, just needs to reduce the crap he also serves up.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 pm

we need warnie back
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby scoob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm

No use taking Johnson to England... he will go to water once the barmy army start singing nasty songs about him! dead set WAP!!!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket