Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby therisingblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:53 am

Aerie wrote:I'd rather see the extra money spent on interstate AFL memberships put back in to an SANFL club. At least an SA AFL club some of that money is retained in this state.

For example, 5500 SA based Bombers memberships going towards building a shiny new building at Windy Hill and a batch of the latest peptides, yippee. All so you can do a fist pump on the lounge and feel a part of it?

Perhaps if the interstate clubs put a percentage of members money from the state they receive towards grass roots footy in that state it might be of benefit? Or does that happen already? If so, I digress.

Of course people can do what they like with their own money, but I find it a shame that for most their AFL team that they once followed for the hell of it and secondary to their SANFL team has now become number 1 at the expense of their SANFL team. This is every bit a factor in belittling the SANFL as Crows Reserves sides are.

Well Aerie, I love the Blues. This alone was enough, but throw that streak by Helen Domenico in the 82 grand final, and it's hard to ignore a club that can produce such class! Then Motley played for them also, but I was already a Carlton fan by then.
When the Crows entered it confused things for a while. For many years they were like state team, and I have a lot of time for Blighty, so I have great memories of the two flags. However, the Crows have pissed me off in many ways of late, 1 being a stupid reliance on a scoreboard to tell the fans when to cheer, another being its arrogant muscling into our comp.
I'm a Carlton fan again. I can no longer identify with the Crows. I donated my Crows scarf to poor people, so if you ever see a documentary about Japan's homeless and see one of them in a Crows scarf you'll u derstand what that's about.
Go the Blues!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:56 am

Started following South Melbourne as a kid.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:51 am

Aerie wrote:I'd rather see the extra money spent on interstate AFL memberships put back in to an SANFL club. At least an SA AFL club some of that money is retained in this state.

For example, 5500 SA based Bombers memberships going towards building a shiny new building at Windy Hill and a batch of the latest peptides, yippee. All so you can do a fist pump on the lounge and feel a part of it?

Perhaps if the interstate clubs put a percentage of members money from the state they receive towards grass roots footy in that state it might be of benefit? Or does that happen already? If so, I digress.

Of course people can do what they like with their own money, but I find it a shame that for most their AFL team that they once followed for the hell of it and secondary to their SANFL team has now become number 1 at the expense of their SANFL team. This is every bit a factor in belittling the SANFL as Crows Reserves sides are.

Sorry but disagree.
Have been an Essendon supporter since a kid and a member for over 20 years, I try to attend atleast 6-7 games in Melbourne every year when it doesnt clash with Norwood games or my local footy games. Norwood is still my number 1 love and I spend close to $1000 per year on club memberships and usually donate a decent ammount of money each year. Was never an option to swap allegiance from Essendon to the Cows when a Glenelg knob was named innaugral coach and brought in all his bum buddy mates from the Bay to fill the side.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JohnnyG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

sjt wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:I'm more interested in Callinan specifically and how Centrals fans see him and his decision.

as a centrals supporter im quite happy with the callinan being the capt of the crows reserves

As a centrals supporter it disgusts me along with the whole concept. Though nothing against nutta.

The reality is that Callinan has been an AFC Crows player (and also paid by them) since the end of 2010.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:26 am

Aerie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Why is it the Crows and their nuffy supporters think that not just the SANFL clubs but every club in the state should do everything they possibly can to make them successful?
We don't bend over to help Carlton or Kangaroos or Brisbane, the Crows are no different
You are not the state team.
There is probably more South Australians that support Victorian clubs than SA clubs

And probably more members of interstate sides aswell, not sure of other clubs but Essendon had just over 5,500 SA members and id think Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn would have similar if not more

What is with that? I've never understood the desire to follow, let alone become a member of an interstate AFL side. Sure there'd be a few that lived there or knew someone that plays for them, but what about the rest? What connection is there? Just pick a side you saw on tv one day? Liked the colours? Seems a bit plastic to me.

It is sh*t that there are more members of Essendon in SA than any SANFL club.

I've never understood the opposite as either a) people didn't follow the vfl and just jumped on board because a new team was nearby, these people I don't hold any respect for and they are nothing more than brain dead sheep
b) adults changed teams to support a new team, these people I don't respect as they have no loyalty
c) people never follow the game and jumped on board because of the hype, these cinema goers I can slightly understand, these people have no idea about the game and spend most of games booing the umpires
d) people who had family or friends playing for a new club, this minority have my respect
e) young kids made up their mind to follow a team using their own brainpower , these have my respect too.

Mind you I've also never understand how someone could follow a merged team too, if North merged with anyone they would be my most hated team in the league. Luckily people got off their arse and did something about that before it could happen.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 am

Wedgie, at the risk of uttering a form of blasphemy, I feel moved to say that football is just entertainment, like a movie, not a tribal obligation or part of a primitive tribal war. I feel some emotional loyalty to SA and SA teams, and so, while I am interested in football I will follow one of them, but it is not so strong that I get emotional or abusive about those who may disagree with my world view.

As one who fits into your category a) - I didn't give a damn about the VFL but followed an SA team once one existed in the "AFL" - I resent the "nothing more than brain dead sheep" comment a little, to the extent that I care what you think.

I also reserve the right to jump into category b) if I find a team that entertains me more.
It is the primitive "brain dead sheep" that follow the blind loyalty line without ever re-considering their options as they arise.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:14 am

In terms of swapping your support from one team to another, at what age are you too old to swap teams?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby valleys07 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:24 am

I began following Hawthorn in the AFL around 1994- having supported Port Adelaide in the SANFL from about 92. I always maintained that if Port were to have a side competing in the AFL i would switch my allegiances. If people switch because their new team is successful and the other wasnt, then yes loyalty can be questioned- but if the switch can be validated then i have no issues.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:26 am

The new structure is great.
It is going to be so much easier to track how the unselected Crows players are tracking in the SANFL.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 am

Dogwatcher wrote:In terms of swapping your support from one team to another, at what age are you too old to swap teams?

"Age shall not weary them..." We are never too old to swap teams - or swap women.
That's entertainment in action. ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby MatteeG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:43 am

Sorry Aerie, I'm another Interstate member of the Hawks who has no time for the Power or Crows. Was 5 years old when I first saw the hawks play on the appropriately named "The winners" on the ABC. Followed em since as the then VFL was a different comp. Tried to like the crows when they first came in but couldnt do it. In 97 when the Hawks were financially struggling I bit the bullet and bought a membership, which I have re-newed every year since.

What do I get from it? Apart from entry to games here and a handful in Melbourne, the satisfaction that in some small way I helped my club survive and (now) thrive. Also, the club is bringing the Premiership cup to SA tomorrow night so a photo with that is worth a monkey I reckon. They did this in 08 also.
Still a bays man through and through, buy some sort of membership each year despite finding it hard to attend during my playing years. So unlike the majority of Crows fans who simply abandoned their SANFL club (and Power too), I reckon the interstate AFL club members are actually a fair chunk of the passionate (and paid up) SANFL fans.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby areaman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:20 am

Wedgie wrote:Mind you I've also never understand how someone could follow a merged team too, if North merged with anyone they would be my most hated team in the league. Luckily people got off their arse and did something about that before it could happen.

Well it was either a case of supporting the merged club or walking away from the SANFL all together. That decision was quite easy. At least I had an association with the merged club. Also being 14 years old at the time helped - you don't analyse too much then - you just get on with life!

The overwhelming mood of those who didn't follow the merged club (and sadly that is a large majority) was not one of hatred but just complete indifference.

I am way more pissed off with my club's attitude to the AFL Reserves teams than any decision around the merger.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby bloods08 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 am

Re: Callinan (and apologies if it has been brought up before)

Do the crows (reserves) have to pay a transfer fee to Centrals for his services? Like other clubs do when players switch SANFL clubs.

If not, why not?
Go you Redbacks!
bloods08
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 am

bloods08 wrote:Re: Callinan (and apologies if it has been brought up before)

Do the crows (reserves) have to pay a transfer fee to Centrals for his services? Like other clubs do when players switch SANFL clubs.

If not, why not?

I hope they don't, it would be a farce if they did. Callinan has been a Crows player for a few years now. If it was someone on Centrals books that transferred, then yes there should be, but the Crows had the rights to him so to speak the moment they called his name in the draft.

For this same reason it's a farce that Norwood and West get to replace AFL listed players despite a trade ban.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:55 am

Grahaml wrote:

If not, why not?

I hope they don't, it would be a farce if they did. Callinan has been a Crows player for a few years now. If it was someone on Centrals books that transferred, then yes there should be, but the Crows had the rights to him so to speak the moment they called his name in the draft.

For this same reason it's a farce that Norwood and West get to replace AFL listed players despite a trade ban.

SANFL clubs received transfer fees for players taken in the SANFL draft when they moved clubs, how is this any different? They are registered SANFL players transferring from a club to a different team (refuse to call the AFL sides clubs) so fees should apply in my book.

Both AFL sides should be handing over the standard AFL player fee for each player transferring to them in the SANFL.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Callinan isn't transferring from Centrals to the Ravens now, he did that back in 2010, so wasn't the money paid back then?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby tigerhutch » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Sorry but disagree.
Have been an Essendon supporter since a kid and a member for over 20 years, I try to attend atleast 6-7 games in Melbourne every year when it doesnt clash with Norwood games or my local footy games. Norwood is still my number 1 love and I spend close to $1000 per year on club memberships and usually donate a decent ammount of money each year. Was never an option to swap allegiance from Essendon to the Cows when a Glenelg knob was named innaugral coach and brought in all his bum buddy mates from the Bay to fill the side.

so that decision worked out well for you .......................... :lol:
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 pm

heater31 wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

If not, why not?

SANFL clubs received transfer fees for players taken in the SANFL draft when they moved clubs, how is this any different? They are registered SANFL players transferring from a club to a different team (refuse to call the AFL sides clubs) so fees should apply in my book.

Both AFL sides should be handing over the standard AFL player fee for each player transferring to them in the SANFL.

wouldn't centrals have received money when nutter was drafted ??
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:50 pm

tigerhutch wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Sorry but disagree.

so that decision worked out well for you .......................... :lol:

Have been lucky enough to see my team win 4 flags and participate in 7 grand finals since I started supporting them.
I think fans of most other clubs would take that.
At current rate though we wont play in another one in my lifetime :(
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Last time I checked the AFL was a club competition not a State competition...if you are supposed to follow a team in your state what would happen if they relocated like South Melbourne or Fitzroy?

Im amazed how many kids these days have ditched the Crows/Port or never followed them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL