Ashes First Test Live Discussion

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Postby locky801 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Aust 0/65

Warner 45 (55)

Rogers 15 (77)

Lead by 224

Great day for the Australians today.

Looking back after the excitement of what happened in that 2nd session and watching the highlights, we bowled some brutal balls, especially MJ,
think England would be sitting right back on their heels right now. Good to see Lyon pick up a couple as well.

Game, hopefully series on :D
Last edited by locky801 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Keyser Soze » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

the joker wrote:Marcus North is suddenly bashing the door down as the next in line in the batting line up
550 runs at 135 with 3 centuries from 4 matches this season

The best start to a season since Katich blazed over 1000 runs in a season prior to his selection in the test team.....don't think they'll pick him but outstanding comeback as he was gone 18 months ago.

Best day of test cricket for the Aussies for a few years and redbacks going well.....might crack a beer or three!
Keyser Soze
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Hope that silences the Warner knockers for awhile. Has already proved why he is the best openening bat in Australia by a country mile.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby test » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:20 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:F##k yes! Go the Aussies!

Come on lets get these last wickets, you can pitch it up fellas, don't need to keep on bowling short every ball to these blokes

Creating chances and not conceding many by doing it, why wouldn't you stick with it as long as necessary? When the chances stop coming or the runs start flowing then you change.

Fair enough Graham I just think they shouldn't get too carried away with bowling short every ball to the tailenders this series now, I love the aggression but a bit of variation and a plan to set them up would be good along with the short pitch stuff. Given the situation Broad batted well, survive the constant short pitch bowling and made some much needed runs for England

I normally agree but watching it on tv after tea, we hit both Anderson and broad on the gloves with short balls and roughed them up a bit, considering the poms don't have a bowler who hits 140 kph they have no one to intimidate us, keep them on the back foot and blast them out I reckon!! Doesn't always work but it did today!
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Squids » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Tremlett is about 18 foot tall so he certainly has an intimidation factor while not being express pace.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 pm

test wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:F##k yes! Go the Aussies!

Come on lets get these last wickets, you can pitch it up fellas, don't need to keep on bowling short every ball to these blokes

Creating chances and not conceding many by doing it, why wouldn't you stick with it as long as necessary? When the chances stop coming or the runs start flowing then you change.

Fair enough Graham I just think they shouldn't get too carried away with bowling short every ball to the tailenders this series now, I love the aggression but a bit of variation and a plan to set them up would be good along with the short pitch stuff. Given the situation Broad batted well, survive the constant short pitch bowling and made some much needed runs for England

I normally agree but watching it on tv after tea, we hit both Anderson and broad on the gloves with short balls and roughed them up a bit, considering the poms don't have a bowler who hits 140 kph they have no one to intimidate us, keep them on the back foot and blast them out I reckon!! Doesn't always work but it did today!

Yeah faark em, would love to see us badge a couple of them. I didnt have an issue with Broad being targeted
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I just don't know what more you can do than make runs hard to score and create chances. Broad edged plenty around the place for runs, he could have done exactly the same thing if we pitch it up too. There's is seriously nothing more you can do than create chances and dry up runs. Particularly if the only runs are coming from chances! That session and the bowling to the tail set the scene for the whole series. Johnson and Haddin save our innings taking advantage of an England bowling attack that let things meander and waited for something. We hammered the English in the same situation and got the reward. Sure, they put on a few for the 9th and 10th, but that happens from time to time. You can't simply expect to get the last 8 for 10.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Grahaml » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Ok. So here are my keys for the third day.

1. Bat out the day. Keeping the POMs in the field all day will help for the whole series. Johnson, Siddle and in particular Harris will love sitting in the rooms kicking up their heels watching Anderson, Broad and Tremlett toil away. Fit as these blokes might be, early workloads make a difference across the series.

2. Ton up. Someone has to. Haddin deserved to in the first, but getting the job done make a huge difference to both sides. Warner or Clarke getting to the magical triple figure mark (or dare we get greedy and >1?) will add runs to our totals throughout the series.

3. Rogers needs to survive the early onslaught. Warner has his runs already, Rogers needs to prove his mettle by surviving. 20 overs and I give him a pass, but nothing could help Australia if Rogers was unbeaten at tea.

4. See of the first spell of Anderson, Broad and Tremlett. Bowlers hate coming off without a wicket. Don't underestimate the difference it made with Harris getting a wicket in his first spell. They've fired their best, with the ball at its best and got nothing. Spell #2 is so much worse with 0 in the wickets column for everyone.

5. Don't let Swann get into the series. 1/80, 2/100, no worries. But if Swann gets 5/60 or something it'll hurt us going forward. We did a great job in the first dig, but we need to make sure we keep him reacting and feeling like a stock bowler, not a strike bowler.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby mal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Graham L
Very very very good posts in this thread
Keep up the good work
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:24 am

Grahaml wrote:Ok. So here are my keys for the third day.

1. Bat out the day. Keeping the POMs in the field all day will help for the whole series. Johnson, Siddle and in particular Harris will love sitting in the rooms kicking up their heels watching Anderson, Broad and Tremlett toil away. Fit as these blokes might be, early workloads make a difference across the series.

2. Ton up. Someone has to. Haddin deserved to in the first, but getting the job done make a huge difference to both sides. Warner or Clarke getting to the magical triple figure mark (or dare we get greedy and >1?) will add runs to our totals throughout the series.

3. Rogers needs to survive the early onslaught. Warner has his runs already, Rogers needs to prove his mettle by surviving. 20 overs and I give him a pass, but nothing could help Australia if Rogers was unbeaten at tea.

4. See of the first spell of Anderson, Broad and Tremlett. Bowlers hate coming off without a wicket. Don't underestimate the difference it made with Harris getting a wicket in his first spell. They've fired their best, with the ball at its best and got nothing. Spell #2 is so much worse with 0 in the wickets column for everyone.

5. Don't let Swann get into the series. 1/80, 2/100, no worries. But if Swann gets 5/60 or something it'll hurt us going forward. We did a great job in the first dig, but we need to make sure we keep him reacting and feeling like a stock bowler, not a strike bowler.

IMO we would be better off to have 10 overs at them tonight, no need to bat the day out, just get to 500 in front otherwise all good points Graham
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 am

Rogers gone
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RustyCage » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 am

Rogers won't want to see too many replays of that shot!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby valleys07 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 am

Well that outdoes Clarke- absolute shocker!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby RustyCage » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:05 am

Watson won't want to see too many replays of that shot!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby whufc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:08 am

Get fugged Watto!!!!! Learn how to rotate the strike and push a single dickhead.

Get Jordan Silk in the side
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Mic » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:14 am

Can't stand Watson. Get rid of him.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Interceptor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 am

Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby helicopterking » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:28 am

Rain Delay
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Ashes First Test Live Discussion

Postby Jim05 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 am

Apalling dismissals by both batters today.
Hope Boof gives them a rocket
Jim05
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:26 pm

2/144

Warner 83

Clarke 33
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future