Australian Car Industry

Anything!

Australian Car Industry

Postby Psyber » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am

At the moment it seems that their are only two options being offered in the media:
1. The industry pulls out of Oz.
2. The governments pay them to stay and keep the skills and jobs here.

My concern is that when control of the industry is entirely overseas the inevitable long term outcome is that the manufacturing process will move inevitably, in time, to the cheapest place to do it. In the meantime the overseas companies can suck concessions out of the workforce and money out of our governments until they are all set up and ready to move, and then announce the decision.

Is their a third way??

Since the plant and equipment in OZ is going to become redundant and unsaleable once the foreign car companies move out, could the federal government pick it up cheaply and make it available free, initially, to a new Australian company formed by the workers, their union, and the parts makers and suppliers. with a long term view to them purchasing the plant and equipment from the government once they are profitable (if ever).

Of course success would be dependent on building a vehicle people want to buy, and doing so competitively with Hyundai for example.

What do you think?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: Australian Car Industry

Postby the joker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:33 pm

They don't wanna give money to Holden's. Why don't the government make tax cuts on Aussie built cars. And give people a years rego.
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby dedja » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Option 3 won't work, needs lots of capital, retooling and R&D costs are massive.

Sort of funny how we all need cars but hardly anyone makes money making them.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby grant j » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

If Australian people bought Australian cars it would help out the Australia economy and we would not be in this situation, same goes for everything else we buy.

Unfortunately people don't think about our economy when making their purchases.
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby dedja » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Then we'd better do a time warp to 20 years ago when tariffs were sky high then.

Unfortunately, You can't expect people to spend large sums of money on things they don't want, the Australian manufacturers really needed to meet the market.

Petrol guzzling V8s and V6s went out of vogue long ago, plus consumers now have a vast choice of vehicles to choose from.

Look at the latest Mazda 6 for example. Big enough for a family but runs off the sniff of an oily rag. Mazda 3's sell like hotcakes.

What does Holden manufacture locally that can compete?

Will be very sad to lose them (I actually worked for them once when I was at Uni), but that's the cost of engaging in the global economy.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby beeroclock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 am

This might sound a bit harsh and nothing to do with the state of affairs out North.
I've known people working out there for years and always bragging how good a coin they are on and do f??k all work.
Times that by 20 years service.
Then all of a sudden things don't turn out like they'd like them too.
Surprise.
Also a well known fact that staff have their sleeping attire in their lockers at the Pt Pirie smelter for when they decide they need a kip.
Yep happens every day.
Don't whinge when that's next to go.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Bully » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 am

dedja wrote:Then we'd better do a time warp to 20 years ago when tariffs were sky high then.

Unfortunately, You can't expect people to spend large sums of money on things they don't want, the Australian manufacturers really needed to meet the market.

Petrol guzzling V8s and V6s went out of vogue long ago, plus consumers now have a vast choice of vehicles to choose from.

Look at the latest Mazda 6 for example. Big enough for a family but runs off the sniff of an oily rag. Mazda 3's sell like hotcakes.

Will be very sad to lose them (I actually worked for them once when I was at Uni), but that's the cost of engaging in the global economy.

is the cruze not made here?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:23 am

Instead of government giving money to Holdens why dont they give it to all the components manufacturer's. This will reduce Holdens costs whilst also giving a leg up to local australian owned small business.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby grant j » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:23 am

Got Commodore in 2010 dual fuel very happy with it. cheap to run on gas

Bought the Mrs a SRiV Cruze last year 1.4 turbo. It was her choice from any car on the market and she absolutely loves it.

I choose to support the local economy, if you don't that's your choice but don't complain that most of your taxes will be going to pay for people on the dole.

and yes I do shop at Foodland for the same reason, more local product
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Squids » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:47 am

beeroclock wrote:This might sound a bit harsh and nothing to do with the state of affairs out North.
I've known people working out there for years and always bragging how good a coin they are on and do f??k all work.
Surprise.
Also a well known fact that staff have their sleeping attire in their lockers at the Pt Pirie smelter for when they decide they need a kip.
Yep happens every day.

:shock: That would explain why the old man never sleeps at night.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby beeroclock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Squids wrote:
beeroclock wrote:This might sound a bit harsh and nothing to do with the state of affairs out North.
Surprise.
Yep happens every day.

:shock: That would explain why the old man never sleeps at night.

Perhaps.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 pm

grant j wrote:If Australian people bought Australian cars it would help out the Australia economy and we would not be in this situation, same goes for everything else we buy.

I was once a loyal Holden man, and my first three cars were holdens, but eventually I wanted something with a bit more style and less of those nagging little problems like boot lights that didn't switch of and drained the battery.

I had to resort to shutting my wife in the boot (briefly) from time to time to check on the damn thing. ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby therisingblues » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Psyber wrote:
grant j wrote:If Australian people bought Australian cars it would help out the Australia economy and we would not be in this situation, same goes for everything else we buy.

I was once a loyal Holden man, and my first three cars were holdens, but eventually I wanted something with a bit more style and less of those nagging little problems like boot lights that didn't switch of and drained the battery.

I had to resort to shutting my wife in the boot (briefly) from time to time to check on the damn thing. ;)

"No, no. Stay in there. I got a feeling they might come back on again in a couple of hours..."
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:07 pm

dedja wrote:Then we'd better do a time warp to 20 years ago when tariffs were sky high then.

Summed up right there. Any future bailout should be conditional as to what products they produce. A bailout I believe must come as it is an investment in jobs. No bailout, thousands of jobs will go and maybe Toyota will be next. Unconditional bailouts solve nothing and don't really solve anything.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:24 pm

given Holdens are now leaving the car industry looks rooted
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm

It's not the product that is the problem. For as long as the sun comes up people will buy 6 cylinder family cars from Ford and Holden. Look at how many new Commodores are already on the road.

What the problem for the manufacturer is, is the product they make is not as profitable to make in Australia as it is elsewhere. Make the Commodore in Malaysia and people here will buy it. GM make more profit, they keep making it.

I wont even go into my thoughts on the Union(s).
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tigerhutch » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I guess the Federal Libs will be happy now since they did absolutely nothing to help :evil:
Vote for King Thistle and the Wise Old Elf ... you know it makes sense
tigerhutch
Rookie

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't know this, but have heard this and would like some clarification.
Are workers at Holdens above and beyond what Award Rates are??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 pm

tigerhutch wrote:I guess the Federal Libs will be happy now since they did absolutely nothing to help :evil:

No other manufacturing sector has the financial support afforded to the automotive industry. It aint a political points scoring game, this one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I don't know this, but have heard this and would like some clarification.
Are workers at Holdens above and beyond what Award Rates are??

:-#
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion