Who saved Test Cricket?

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Who saved Test Cricket?

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:58 pm

In my opinion Test Cricket in Australia has come out as the elite form of the game. But remembering the doomsdayers in the 90's and the 00's it would be dead

What has kept Test Cricket going?

*The Ashes legacy?
*Australia coming back to the field?
*Australias Dominators who are histories Pioneers of result driven Test Cricket and religiously scored @ min 3.5 rpo?
*The Windies of the Mid 60's to the mid 90's?
*The Poms Ashes victory in 05?
*The decrease in Limited overs Popularity?

Look forward to hearing the theories......
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: Who saved Test Cricket?

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Shane Warne, simple.

Certainly not Kallis.

All your points are very good reasons and out of all them i think the 05 ashes was probaly the biggest shot in the arm
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Sharksta » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Personally I think Shane Warne.

Teams had spent an enormous amount of time trying to emulate the great windies teams & their fast bowling brigade. Teams seemed to largely see pace bowling as their only real option. Then along came Warnie.

The Gatting ball in the 1993 ashes captured to imagination of the public. In turn his guile & ability to out think batsmen changed the way the game was played.

People began to once again appreciate the strategic nature of test cricket & the crowds returned with the expectation of seeing Warnie put the opposition in a spin.

As a cricket purist I have always loved test match cricket. When Warnie played I found myself on the edge of my seat always expecting something to happen which wasn't always the case. I think his way of planning and out thinking batsmen has been his legacy to the game & changed the way it is played forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Test cricket hasn't come out as the elite form of the game, it has always been so. As for it being 'saved' it is a long way from that. If Test Cricket was saved it was saved by attacking captains Illingworth and I Chappell in the early seventies and the emergence of one day cricket.

In Australia and England Test Cricket is well attended but not so everywhere else. South Africa have the best team in the world but only around 9000 people turned up for their boxing day clash against the number two ranked Indians. Test Cricket is a long way from being saved and that's why Teeball was invented (oh and for the ca$h).

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Kerry Packer. Without the players getting their hands on decent cash the game would be in monstrous trouble.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Grahaml wrote:Kerry Packer. Without the players getting their hands on decent cash the game would be in monstrous trouble.

Test cricket wasn't saved by Kerry packer, if it wasn't strong and popular like it was from 1973-1977, he wouldn't have wanted to touch it with a barge pole. You can't make money out of an un-popular sport.

Now he might have helped modernised it and made the cricket associations look at other means of supporting the game domestically but no way did Kerry Packer save Test Cricket
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby GWW » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Adam Gilchrist.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm actually a tad worried for test cricket and don't blame t20 at all.

Countries like England and Aus are thriving crowds wise when it comes to test but unfortunately the same can't be said for NZ, WI, SA, SL.

One of the offsets I have seen from t20 is these countries is the administrators have become lazy, they make all the coin they need from t20 and therefore have become lazy in trying to promote test cricket and bring back the crowds.

Obviously in the case of NZ, WI poor on field performances haven't helped there cause but I think t20 has made alot of the administrators lazy and the needs for crowds at test cricket for wealth is non exsistant.

If crowds stop going completely then test cricket will become irrelevant. We need as many competitive countries as possible.

I would love to see Ireland gain test match status, there an improving nation and don't have alot of sporting sides competing at a high level on the international stage (football, union) are the only ones that come to mind. They have natural rivals in England
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:05 pm

whufc wrote:I'm actually a tad worried for test cricket and don't blame t20 at all.

Countries like England and Aus are thriving crowds wise when it comes to test but unfortunately the same can't be said for NZ, WI, SA, SL.

One of the offsets I have seen from t20 is these countries is the administrators have become lazy, they make all the coin they need from t20 and therefore have become lazy in trying to promote test cricket and bring back the crowds.

Obviously in the case of NZ, WI poor on field performances haven't helped there cause but I think t20 has made alot of the administrators lazy and the needs for crowds at test cricket for wealth is non exsistant.

If crowds stop going completely then test cricket will become irrelevant. We need as many competitive countries as possible.

I would love to see Ireland gain test match status, there an improving nation and don't have alot of sporting sides competing at a high level on the international stage (football, union) are the only ones that come to mind. They have natural rivals in England

I think there's merit in that, whufc.

I think a lot of the problem has to do with the cost of match tickets in certain countries. A lot of the Caribbean nations, South Africa, Sri Lanka etc are poorer nations, and/or have a big gap between rich and poor. I know these problems exist in India, but they have the population that negates it for the most part.

So what is New Zealand's excuse?
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm

I think in NZ's case it just the fact they are the exact same as they were 30 years ago
whufc
Coach

Postby Squids » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Population

+

Their team is shit
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Grahaml » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

am Bays wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Kerry Packer. Without the players getting their hands on decent cash the game would be in monstrous trouble.

Test cricket wasn't saved by Kerry packer, if it wasn't strong and popular like it was from 1973-1977, he wouldn't have wanted to touch it with a barge pole. You can't make money out of an un-popular sport.

Now he might have helped modernised it and made the cricket associations look at other means of supporting the game domestically but no way did Kerry Packer save Test Cricket

He headed a serious problem off before it became an issue. We've seen recently bundles of blokes picking footy over cricket. West Indies has had huge trouble keeping their kids in cricket. Keep your head in the sand all you like but giving blokes something for their time in that era helped keep the best players around.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Grahaml wrote:
am Bays wrote:

He headed a serious problem off before it became an issue. We've seen recently bundles of blokes picking footy over cricket. West Indies has had huge trouble keeping their kids in cricket. Keep your head in the sand all you like but giving blokes something for their time in that era helped keep the best players around.

One could argue that the Wet indies cricket was doomed once the English Counties limited the number of overseas players from 2 to 1 in teh early 90s. No longer could teh West Indies rely on their core of players being supported by english Domestic cricket:

Marshall - Hampshire
Garner and Richards - Somerset
Patterson - lancahire
Ambrose - Northhants
Walsh - Gloucs
Hooper - kent
Richardson - Yorks

Once that secondary income was cut by half that is what cost the West Indies

Why was there threats of player strikes in 1997-98? the top players got well paid but the shield players weren't
Why under the control of PBL did one-day cricket get pushed so hard in the 80s to the possible detriment of Test Cricket?

Don't get me wrong Kerry Packer certainly helped cricket modernise, look at new revenue streams and publicised it to a wider audience through marketing (C'mon Aussie C'mon) but to think he saved test Cricket is stretching the truth - Give Uncertain Corridors a read by gideon haigh if you think I'm alone in this train of thought.

If you read more, he was certainly more into helping his companies bottom line than cricket especially when you examine the deal struck in 1979 with the then ACB - all before Ian Chappells wish of a players Association could be formed.

What he did save is the domestic cricket structure - the shield and if by extenstion you want to say he saved Test cricket by doing that well all-right then.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 pm

There is about 150 people at the ground watching Pakistan vs Sri Lanka in the UAE.

Been a good test so far though Pakistan lost 6/80 mmmmmmm questions will be asked
whufc
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Shane Warne, simple.

Don't think it needed saving, but if it was one person it was Warney.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:03 pm

whufc wrote:I'm actually a tad worried for test cricket and don't blame t20 at all.

Good post. The administration in most other countries is incompetent. Your hear about stuff like a test in India where you had to buy tickets for all five days or nothing. Or tests in the West Indies where daily tickets cost one month's average wage. In Australia all the states have initiatives to ensure big crowds, run good events, increase the value of memberships etc. Not to mention spectator facilities. Have these other countries heard of shade?

I also wonder whether matches are on free to air television in other countries? It makes a massive difference that cricket is available for everyone to watch, not just the rich. Keeps cricket in the consciousness. All kids would start by watching a bit of cricket on tv and later want to go to a game.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 pm

The ICC may be to the rescue......

ICC mull two-tier Test cricket
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 am

heater31 wrote:The ICC may be to the rescue......

ICC mull two-tier Test cricket

that looks like a pretty good idea..
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 am

Simply the game itself .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:42 pm

whufc wrote:I think in NZ's case it just the fact they are the exact same as they were 30 years ago

BUZZ. In the 1980's New Zealand were one of the best teams in the world. They were the only team to defeat the West Indies in a series I believe during that decade. Crowes, Coney, Wright, Edgar, Howarth, Cairns, Hadlee, Snedden, Chatfield, Smith.

Some handy players in there and at least 4 possibly 5 of them would make NZ's all time best side IMO.

rergards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket