David Hookes ... 10 years on

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

David Hookes ... 10 years on

Postby dedja » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Tomorrow will be the 10 anniversary of David Hookes' tragic passing.

Robert Craddock's interview with Boof ...

THE death of David Hookes, 10 years ago tomorrow, reshaped Australian cricket because it redefined Darren Lehmann.

The free-spirited, celebrate-the-moment style of cricket Australia has played this summer can be traced directly to Lehmann's appreciation that, for all the hype and hoopla that comes with modern cricket, it is still only a game.

The moment he fully appreciated this fact was when he lost his mentor Hookes.

"It changed my attitude,'' Lehmann told me about Hookes' death.

"I realised cricket was a game and life was more important. When you are at the ground you are driven by what you are doing but once that is done you can't change the past and you can't look too far forward.

"I don't think you ever get over it,'' he said. "I am a pretty emotional guy anyway. I cry in every bloody movie I watch.

"I don't mind players showing emotion. I don't mind them crying. You know they are hurting and what they are trying to do.''

Desperate cricket situations never seem as dire for Lehmann now.

That is why, when Australia was in crisis after his sudden appointment as national coach, he nonchalantly said to the players at their first meeting "no team meeting should last for more than 30 minutes. Let's have a beer. Captain shouts.''

It is also why Lehmann's preaches a "family first'' attitude to his players.

The last time Lehmann visited Hookes he initially struggled to say a word.

Hookes was on life support after an altercation with a bouncer on January, 18, 2004 outside the Beaconsfield Hotel in St Kilda, Melbourne.

Hookes, who had been drinking with Lehmann and several other players, crashed to the ground, struck his head and went into a cardiac arrest. He never regained consciousness.

When Lehmann finally started talking to Hookes in the Victorian hospital he could not stop, even though his words could not have got through.

For 20 minutes he spoke to his silent mentor, telling him he loved him and how he would never forget what he had done for him.

"When you are just there like that you say what you want to say,'' Lehmann said.

Lehmann initially could not bring himself to leave but after kissing his old mate and whispering goodbye he finally walked out to the echo of the ward doors closing behind him.

Hookes stayed so firmly in Lehmann's thoughts that months later he was batting in a Test and an image of Hookes flashed through his mind just as the bowler was about to deliver the ball.

A subtle message to move on came months after Hookes' death when Lehmann toured Sri Lanka, the only nation where Hookes made a Test century.

When Lehmann scored a Test century at Galle he shed tears and looked skywards.

Lehmann wrote in his autobiography: "It was as though 'Hookesy' looked down and said in his typical manner, 'You're right now mate, you don't need me any more, off you go, get on with it'.''
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Re: David Hookes ... 10 years on

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Great article. =D> =D>
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 am

I agree, great article. I still can't believe it's been 10 years.
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MightyEagles » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 am

Hookes was an organ donor, I think that we all should.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 am

As i've said two my mates with the recent spate of incidents... if it wasn't for the buffoon bouncer who hit Hookes (whether guilty or not), if he hadn't hit Hookes, he'd still be alive today.

The courts need to throw the book at these idiots.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:04 am

gadj1976 wrote:As i've said two my mates with the recent spate of incidents... if it wasn't for the buffoon bouncer who hit Hookes (whether guilty or not), if he hadn't hit Hookes, he'd still be alive today.

Got king hit myself this year and i will be going to court I have been told aprox. 2 years after the incident. I thought so much about Hookesy in the days following the incident as my head hit the pavement and I lost a lot of blood. I intend on doing whatever I can to ensure perpetrators of violent and unprovoked attacks are deterred in the future. The are the scum of the earth and Deserve incarceration.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Great article and a true legend

He gave me two if my favorite days at the cricket. His century of thirty odd balls and his massive partnership of 462 with Wayne Phillips. I was there for both and will never forget them.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RustyCage » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 pm

A great article about someone who is still as loved by everyone in the game now as he has ever been.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:As i've said two my mates with the recent spate of incidents... if it wasn't for the buffoon bouncer who hit Hookes (whether guilty or not), if he hadn't hit Hookes, he'd still be alive today.

Got king hit myself this year and i will be going to court I have been told aprox. 2 years after the incident. I thought so much about Hookesy in the days following the incident as my head hit the pavement and I lost a lot of blood. I intend on doing whatever I can to ensure perpetrators of violent and unprovoked attacks are deterred in the future. The are the scum of the earth and Deserve incarceration.

Respect.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket