E-bay, Gumtree, Garage Sale, Cashies or Flea Market????

Anything!

E-bay, Gumtree, Garage Sale, Cashies or Flea Market????

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:41 am

I'm looking for advice...

I have recently inherited my fathers home and the accompanying 60 years of shit that he hoarded. My partner and I have both also moved into it and obviously moved out of our houses. We have cleared 12 cubic tonnes (literally) of utter crap but we are now left with a superfluous amount of things that really are too good to throw away. Some examples include ;

4 outdoor setting tables
3 Indoor Tv cabinets
3 fold out lounges
2 lawn mowers
4 filing cabinets
3 fridges
4 cupboards
1 full 4 seater lounge
Tools, so many tools eg. 10 drills
6 ladders ( apparently the old man liked ladders)
2 microwaves
3 tv s
3 stereos
Basically we have doubled up on most household items, appliances and things you find around the home.

What have people found the most effective way to sell items like the above without to much stuffing around whilst avoiding interactions with troglodytes and time wasters. I have never used E-bay or gumtree so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Re: E-bay, Gumtree, Garage Sale, Cashies or Flea Market????

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:04 am

Some salvage yards will offer you a price also
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Some salvage yards will offer you a price also

I'm not familiar. Where are they, what do they purchase, do they pick up is probably the key question?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am

You could try secondhand stores who may buy it all as a job lot. You won't get much from them for it but at least it cuts out all the mucking around.
We had a family friend who ran one in the Barossa buy all my Dad's household stuff (less the sentimental stuff we kept) after he died, had no where near as much as you have and only gave us $300 for it. Not a lot but a lot less hassle, all gone in one fell swoop.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Squids » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:19 am

Garage sale would be easiest...too much of a pain in the ass waiting for people to pick stuff up at random times.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:20 am

I've used gumtree and ebay and it depends on what I'm trying to shift as to which one I use.

If you want quick turn around, then gumtree is normally the way to go. Cons - you have to be home when they want to see the item. Like selling anything, you mightn't have an audience for your item.

If you don't mind shifting the item more slowly (7 days) and don't care what you get for it, ebay tends to be better. Cons - you don't know what you'll get with the item. Pros - normally you don't have anyone visiting looking at the item (tyre kickers).
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 am

Squids wrote:Garage sale would be easiest...too much of a pain in the ass waiting for people to pick stuff up at random times.

I moved house a year ago and had a huge two day garage sale. My top 5 moments from that event were....

1. They guy who walked in the house when we were not looking got in the shower and was detaching everything screens, fittings and shower head
2. The dick in the new Beamer who asked "how much for this set of new screw drivers." I said $1. He said no thanks and as he was leaving I caught him stealing them. Not a word of a lie :shock:
3. Madam sob story who got a car full of good stuff for $17 and about an hour later I headed to Cashies with electrical goods only to find this lying ass clown selling my stuff for a massive profit. I wouldn't have given a shit if you wasn't such a filthy liar.
4. The woman that simply wouldn't leave.
5. The amount of people stereo typically of a certain race that offered me 10c and 20c for items.

Pretty hesitant to have another garage sale. Probably would make $100-$250 but its 2-3 days work and time we don't really have and I have reached my life quota of dealing with the above types.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 pm

For the several reasons above one garage sale was enough for me, and unless it is actually valuable I'd give it to a charity - if you can find one who'd bother to collect. When I left Melbourne they guy who used to do my gardening (and who was good at buying and selling) and I agreed that he'd run a garage sale for me after I left and what was left he'd sell from a large shed on his property. The idea was we would split the proceeds.

Two months later he wrote apologising that he'd had to use the money for an unexpected tax bill but he would make good.
I agreed to trust him, and two years later he sent me the full proceeds - a little over $5000 - which was more than I expected us to gross.
(His note said the loan offset his not keeping any of it.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Psyber wrote:For the several reasons above one garage sale was enough for me, and unless it is actually valuable I'd give it to a charity - if you can find one who'd bother to collect. When I left Melbourne they guy who used to do my gardening (and who was good at buying and selling) and I agreed that he'd run a garage sale for me after I left and what was left he'd sell from a large shed on his property. The idea was we would split the proceeds.

Two months later he wrote apologising that he'd had to use the money for an unexpected tax bill but he would make good.
I agreed to trust him, and two years later he sent me the full proceeds - a little over $5000 - which was more than I expected us to gross.

5K 2 years later :shock: WTF, that would have been one hell of a sweet surprise
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:19 pm

advertise a garage sale on Gumtree and take photos of some of the bigger items.

that way you're determining the time and the place of which people can come and look at things. Unfortunately it's the only way you'll get rid of the electrical stuff as people will want to test them. Can't do that at Trash n Treasure.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby smac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Advertise? Hell no. You'll have wankers on the doorstep at 5am regardless of the time you advertise.

Hardcore buyers will find you if you put a sign on the nearest main road.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Gozu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:20 pm

smac wrote:Advertise? Hell no. You'll have wankers on the doorstep at 5am regardless of the time you advertise.

Hardcore buyers will find you if you put a sign on the nearest main road.

This is true, even if you advertise it starts at 8:30am you'll get people rocking up wanting to come in for a look at around 6am. This stuff is serious business to some people.

A bit off-topic but I remember a few years ago when my mother was selling her car she put an ad in the paper, guy rings her up about 6am Sat morning offering about $500 less than she was advertising it for. Started the usual spiel about how you could be sitting their all day waiting to sell it, I've got the cash in my hand right now etc. so she said okay be here in 15 mins, guy turns up in 10 mins bang all over.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes I had people back at my house at 6.05 and I started putting up signage at 6am when I went the garage sale route

I went Gumtree with 15 items. The first sold in 11 minutes. I have since sold 2 more items and even sold an unlisted item to a moderator :shock: :lol:

Pretty happy with gum tree so far but we made sure we were very honest and didn't try and bullshit people which probably helped.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:29 am

wristwatcher wrote:Yes I had people back at my house at 6.05 and I started putting up signage at 6am when I went the garage sale route

I went Gumtree with 15 items. The first sold in 11 minutes. I have since sold 2 more items and even sold an unlisted item to a moderator :shock: :lol:

Pretty happy with gum tree so far but we made sure we were very honest and didn't try and bullshit people which probably helped.

Then theres the guy that rings at 10pm and wants to come around at 10.30 on a Sunday night for a bloody $5 ladder.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 am

wristwatcher wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Some salvage yards will offer you a price also

I'm not familiar. Where are they, what do they purchase, do they pick up is probably the key question?

You have a couple of options

Paramount browns is one option

They will pick it up
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Psyber wrote:For the several reasons above one garage sale was enough for me, and unless it is actually valuable I'd give it to a charity - if you can find one who'd bother to collect. When I left Melbourne they guy who used to do my gardening (and who was good at buying and selling) and I agreed that he'd run a garage sale for me after I left and what was left he'd sell from a large shed on his property. The idea was we would split the proceeds.

5K 2 years later :shock: WTF, that would have been one hell of a sweet surprise

Yes it was as I'd more or less given up on it.

I believed the guy really did intend to pay me but doubted he'd ever get far enough ahead to actually do it. He was a former executive and real estate guy who had undergone a Green change in his mid-40s and dropped out. He was still living in the marital home that belonged to his ex-wife who was still big in property in Melbourne (and turning down local real estate firms that were offering him jobs as a property manager on his past reputation).
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 am

OK, so another negative of Gum tree is obviously when dicks make a time to pick something up and then no-show :evil:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 am

i personally wouldn't trust Gumtree... unless you love picking up stolen stuff.. :)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:05 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i personally wouldn't trust Gumtree... unless you love picking up stolen stuff.. :)

im selling though not buying.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Overall after a couple of weeks I reckon Gumtree isn't a bad option. Going to put another 10 items on tonight as it's too hot to go out and do anything anyway. I assume it's Ok to put some of them on here if not I'm sure the post will get removed

Westinghouse, Aurora . Frost free fridge 440 litre. Perfect condition $125
Large lounge room cupboards with glass shelves,mirrors, fold down liquor area, draws and cupboards. $900 new, now $50 . good cond
Fold out lounge/bed, looks good, is very heavy and in great cond. ideal for mother in law sleep overs. $50
Lots of cupboards , filing cabinets, steel lockers and cupboards. Too Many to list.
wristwatcher
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion