Crows Disgrace

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Crows Disgrace

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am

Booney wrote:
OnSong wrote:Just a few points:

For those annoyed people from outside SA will be we wearing a replica state guernsey, no one seems to give a crap when Phil Hughes fronts for South Australia and represents our state at the highest level. Wears the coveted baggy red etc. Graham Cornes, a Victorian, wore the SA guernsey 21 times and captained the team. Precedents all over the place here.

The guernsey is commemorative in nature. Celebrating SA's footy heritage. They'll still run out as the Adelaide Crows, a team you may or may not support. No one is claiming to represent South Australia. Simply honouring the footy heritage.

And all this banging on about tainting history, yada yada yada. The state guernsey has been dead at the highest level for more than a decade.
Towards the end, the state guernsey lost its lustre. Players were preferring to play for their club over their state and risking their careers. At least, in this one-off occasion, the blokes running out there in that SA replica guernsey will want to be there. They'll want to be wearing it. They may not be all South Australians. But heck, it sure has thrust South Australian football back into the spotlight. The revamped Adelaide Oval will be packed to the brim. History is great, but this is a new era, like it or not.

I thought Phil Hughes plays for South Australia in a state based competition where each state has one team. So yes, he is representing South Australia.

Differing, one would think, from the AFC in the AFL.

That point was in reference to those complaining about people from other states wearing the replica state guernsey.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 am

A guy at works a Collingwood supporter and South Australian and couldnt see what the problem was. So I asked him a few questions.

1) If South Australia played a State game against Victoria, who would you go for? "South Australia"

2) If the Crows played Collingwood, and the Crows wore the SA State guernsey and Collingwood wore the Vic State guernsey, who would you barrack for? "****.......I dunno.....I couldn't cheer on the Big V, but I couldn't support Adelaide.....I'd probably just watch the rugby"....
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am

HH3 wrote:A guy at works a Collingwood supporter and South Australian and couldnt see what the problem was. So I asked him a few questions.

1) If South Australia played a State game against Victoria, who would you go for? "South Australia"

2) If the Crows played Collingwood, and the Crows wore the SA State guernsey and Collingwood wore the Vic State guernsey, who would you barrack for? "****.......I dunno.....I couldn't cheer on the Big V, but I couldn't support Adelaide.....I'd probably just watch the rugby"....

No one is asking people to support the crows, they are honouring football in this state, something no other club will do
D14
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 am

HH3 wrote:A guy at works a Collingwood supporter and South Australian and couldnt see what the problem was. So I asked him a few questions.

Did you ask him which rugby?
Its very pertinent as if he'd rather watch Rugby League he's an ignorant airhead who should be ignored where if he would watch Rugby Union he's a smart man and worth listening to.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 am

D14 wrote:

No one is asking people to support the crows, they are honouring football in this state, something no other club will do

Yes, but people that are proud South Australians should never be made to barrack AGAINST the State guernsey. And anybody that isn't a Crows supporter is going to have to.

It's ok for you, coz you can barrack for your team, and your state at the same time.

Everybody else, and there are a lot of people in this state that don't support the Adelaide Crows (I know you'll find that hard to believe), will definitely be going for Port.

The fact that you can't even acknowledge that people will have a problem with this just shows how up your own arse you and the whole Crows club and supporter base is.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am

HH3 wrote:
D14 wrote:

Yes, but people that are proud South Australians should never be made to barrack AGAINST the State guernsey. And anybody that isn't a Crows supporter is going to have to.

Not true. You can go for the Crows. Win/win.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Fricky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

[/quote]The power got smashed for alienating their members who didn't follow the magpies and their crowds and membership died because of it. They did an awesome job last year to rectify this but it doesn't change the fact they were a mess of a club for years before this. One good year does not erase the past. By the way I hope they continue to improve both on and off the field.[/quote]

Off the filed yes, not so much on the field ;)
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 am

HH3 wrote:
D14 wrote:

It's ok for you, coz you can barrack for your team, and your state at the same time.

Everybody else, and there are a lot of people in this state that don't support the Adelaide Crows (I know you'll find that hard to believe), will definitely be going for Port.

The fact that you can't even acknowledge that people will have a problem with this just shows how up your own arse you and the whole Crows club and supporter base is.

I can understand that people have a problem with this, but the crows have honored their South Australian heritage for over 20 years and for those who can't understand that are up to their necks in it.
D14
Under 16s

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

For the haters out there. Do you deny that the crows were created by the SANFL clubs to better embody each club and SA Football on a national level than what the Port Adelaide Magpies would have if they were allowed to enter in 1990.
D14
Under 16s

Postby HeartBeatsTrue » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

Let me first say that the driver for this is more about making money and generating interest which it has and will be.

With the jumper I see things a little differently.

I see the jumper as representing the SANFL rather than SA in general. The jumper is worn now by SANFL players, not what state a player classes themselves as being from. Even during the state of origin era, every player who has worn the jumper has come through the SANFL system (maybe a few exceptions). The crows was born from the SANFL, so i see the relevance.

They should have done it better though, like perhaps using the SANFL logo on their normal home jumper.

The power use the same design as the SANFL jumper on a permanent basis, albeit different colours. Before anyone goes on about multiple teams having stripes, sashes, V's, hoops etc, the 'Double V' of the SANFL jumper is rare. Nobody was up in arms when the power adopted it and rightly so, probably because all their previous guernseys have been rubbish.
HeartBeatsTrue
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 am

D14 wrote:For the haters out there. Do you deny that the crows were created by the SANFL clubs to better embody each club and SA Football on a national level than what the Port Adelaide Magpies would have if they were allowed to enter in 1990.

If this is the case why not wear it in Heritage Round???

This is Purely a BIG F U to Port Adelaide for them getting the first showdown at the Oval.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Ecky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

This decision is yet another example (that was so obvious during the reserves debate) of the arrogance and narrow-mindedness of the Crows and the SANFL Commission who must really believe that football in SA = the Crows and are unable to see things from the perspective of anyone else.

Rivalries in sport should be built from respect on the field, not from childish games (which is what this really is) which are just designed to antagonise the opponent.

But before Port supporters get on their high horse, the catalyst for this is still the dirty games Port played in 1990 which Whicker and co have never forgiven them for, and hence the petty games just keep continuing. The real loser in it all is football in SA as both sides rarely act in what is the true best interests of SA football.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am

Panther Pack wrote:
D14 wrote:For the haters out there. Do you deny that the crows were created by the SANFL clubs to better embody each club and SA Football on a national level than what the Port Adelaide Magpies would have if they were allowed to enter in 1990.

This is Purely a BIG F U to Port Adelaide for them getting the first showdown at the Oval.

Is there even a heritage round this year? Not every year has one, I'm fairly sure??? They are wearing it as a symbol of the move back to Adelaide oval and the history of SA Footy at that ground.
D14
Under 16s

Postby scoob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:16 am

HeartBeatsTrue wrote:Let me first say that the driver for this is more about making money and generating interest which it has and will be.

With the jumper I see things a little differently.

I see the jumper as representing the SANFL rather than SA in general. The jumper is worn now by SANFL players, not what state a player classes themselves as being from. Even during the state of origin era, every player who has worn the jumper has come through the SANFL system (maybe a few exceptions). The crows was born from the SANFL, so i see the relevance.

They should have done it better though, like perhaps using the SANFL logo on their normal home jumper.

The power use the same design as the SANFL jumper on a permanent basis, albeit different colours. Before anyone goes on about multiple teams having stripes, sashes, V's, hoops etc, the 'Double V' of the SANFL jumper is rare. Nobody was up in arms when the power adopted it and rightly so, probably because all their previous guernseys have been rubbish.

Why can't the Crows change the Red and the blue around then... pays homage to the state team (as the Powers does) without dividing the SA football public... they won't because they actually believe they have rights to it and represent SA.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am

D14 wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:

Is there even a heritage round this year? Not every year has one, I'm fairly sure??? They are wearing it as a symbol of the move back to Adelaide oval and the history of SA Footy at that ground.

They've never been at Adelaide Oval. Maybe make a new guernsey to commemorate the historic first home game for the Adelaide (not SA) Crows at the Adelaide Oval when they play it.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am

It's lamentable that a state jumper has been appropriated by a club for it's own ends. As has been pointed out we will have the peverse situation where a section of the state will be supporting the opposition at that match.

The line between state and club should never have been crossed, the Crows, in their hubris, have made a massive mistake.

It's only when you look at the people in charge at the Crows, all with their personality deficits, it starts to make sense.

But the Crows have always tried too hard to manufacture a heritage, possibly to take away the focus from the fact that they are a 23 year old club, a minnow really. It's a pity that the state jumper has been caught up in their juvenile campaiging.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:25 am

Adelaide Heritage jumpers.
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-02-06 at 10.22.50 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-02-06 at 10.22.50 AM.png (80.33 KiB) Viewed 8566 times
D14
Under 16s

Postby D14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 am

Does anyone see the difference?
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-02-06 at 10.27.37 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-02-06 at 10.27.37 AM.png (117.25 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
D14
Under 16s

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 am

Why cant the Crows wear one of those then? Why does it have to be the State representative guernsey?

Plus I find it funny how Crows people dispute Ports "one club" mantra, but now are trying to claim that they embody 9 clubs, including Port Maggies....
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 am

Port Adelaide's heritage jumpers have been based on jumpers worn by the CLUB in the past.

Adelaide's heritage jumpers are a mix and match of anything they feel gives them a noteworthy heritage.

I'm glad you highlighted that.

Why can't Adelaide just accept their heritage is from 1990 with Camry on the back?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL