The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm

In my experience of attending national league games, Crows supporters are far worse than Port supporters when it comes to abusive banter. I really don't enjoy attending Crows games. However, not much in SA rivals the aggression that used to broil up from the Alberton mob during the 80s/90s in the SANFL.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:In my experience of attending national league games, Crows supporters are far worse than Port supporters when it comes to abusive banter. I really don't enjoy attending Crows games. However, not much in SA rivals the aggression that used to broil up from the Alberton mob during the 80s/90s in the SANFL.

There are probably more uneducated crows supporters than port supporters for sure. Just because you are probably more likely to follow the crows if you have money but no idea about the game (Chardonnay sippers yada yada)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:In my experience of attending national league games, Crows supporters are far worse than Port supporters when it comes to abusive banter. I really don't enjoy attending Crows games. However, not much in SA rivals the aggression that used to broil up from the Alberton mob during the 80s/90s in the SANFL.

There are probably more uneducated crows supporters than port supporters for sure. Just because you are probably more likely to follow the crows if you have money but no idea about the game (Chardonnay sippers yada yada)

When the Crows first came in I tried to be a Crows supporter but the crowd at Footy Park was so uneducated about footy that I ended up supporting the umps against all the holding the ball and other frees that they were claiming that weren't there. It was a good education for me as I realised that I appreciated the other SANFL team supporters who I could have friendly banter with. SANFL fans on the whole have a better appreciation of the game than AFL followers.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Reddeer wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:Yep. Requires no more tinkering with top up players, half arsed "salary caps", finals qualifications etc etc.
It's a no brainer.

Any common sense decisions regarding the SANFL no longer happen.
I have lost complete interest in the football here.
Just a compromise competition for the AFL teams to have practice.
No integrity, no point for the real clubs to play.
Was going to see the Eagles play their last game for the season and to honour Powell and Grocke but just can't be bothered.

Quoting myself I received an anonymous private post from Matt1 (Whoever it is???) as follows
I bet they'd both be happy with that, knowing their Club historian 'couldn't be bothered'... Instead of just doing it on this forum, do the honourable thing and follow through with your strongly held convictions. Don't accept the free tickets. Resign your position. Tell Slaven and his board exactly what you think to their face. Tell the SANFL what you think to their face.
and my private reply is
So you clearly know who I am and I have never made any secret of my identity behind Reddeer
I have consistently argued against every thing the SANFL clowns have agreed to Kowtowing to the AFL ever since it was first mooted. Slaven and Sellers would be aware of my standing on the result.
I sat with former supporter LEH on the woodville oval in front of his sign NO AFL in the SANFL and the Eagles crowd at the very beginning of this farce.
The non existence of a level playing field in this now compromised competition has been bad enough this year but the decision that broke the camels back for me is the reallocation of boundaries. It is ludicrous to take away Henley and Grange from the club and give it Pooraka and Salisbury. Sheer lunacy. This should have not been agreed to and should have been over Slaven and the boards dead body.
I notice that you do not have the courage of your obvious acceptance of the situation to front me face to face instead sending a private message behind an anonymous code name.
I am going to post your comments on the Nest and Safooty blog for all to see anyway.
My tenure as the club historian ending would not mean anything to anyone at the Club as they would have no clue I what I do behind the scenes and I like it that way. A free ticket to the matches is very small concession

So there you go
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Hey Diss, perhaps we should change the name of Private Messages! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby klaan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:13 pm

What would happen if those in official positions who didn't like the AFL teams in our competition, resigned en masse? Maybe we should consider that option?
klaan
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:

What a crock of crap.
How the hell do you know this. I assume it's just another one of your generalisations.
And as usual you contradict yourself in the first line of your statement. Probably or for sure :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby matt1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

klaan wrote:What would happen if those in official positions who didn't like the AFL teams in our competition, resigned en masse? Maybe we should consider that option?

This is my point, if we have enough people who are officials of Clubs on here, willing to resign, maybe we could show some strength that way?
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:35 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

What a crock of crap.
How the hell do you know this. I assume it's just another one of your generalisations.
And as usual you contradict yourself in the first line of your statement. Probably or for sure :roll:

um... what?

tell me where the contradiction is?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:44 pm

saintal wrote:
whufc wrote:Yep there is now so much more luck involved in sorting out the SANFL ladder.
If you can 'catch' the AFL reserves side on certain weekends due to their injury list, upcoming AFL fixtures, AFL current ladder postition etc etc you can almost get a 3-4 advantage on other sides.

I kept some basic stats on the make-up of the Reserves sides (these numbers disregard the ‘showdown’ games, and Callinan was not considered a top-up player). They more or less point out the obvious, although admittedly it’s only a small sample of results:

With the Ravens, they were 6-4 when they fielded between 2 and 4 top-ups, and 1-5 when they fielded 5 or more.

With the Power, they were 8-2 when they fielded 5 or 6 top ups, and 2-4 when they fielded 7 or more.

The highest number of tops up per club were 9 for the Ravens (loss v WA) and 12 for the Power (loss v SA).

:-B :-B

I guess this is why in Pseudo's "Pure SANFL Table" the Panthers finished top but in the bastardised table they finished 4th.
This is one of the reasons the comp is so badly compromised now. Any argument that all SANFL clubs have injuries isn't relevant, mainly because it is injuries or decisions made by Clubs in another competition that are affecting the outcome of games played in the SANFL.

Again any argument that this has been happening since 1991 with AFL players being called up by their parent AFL club is only valid to a point in that it only concerned one or two players from any club.

The problem is, no matter what restrictions the SANFL apply to "top up" players, it won't solve the issue of how many AFL players play for their reserve club from week to week. After all it is the quality (or maybe the inequality) of those AFL players in both skills and fitness, and their desire to get called up to the 1st team, that affects the results so widely.

I hope that the powers that be, (no pun intended Booney), take a realistic view on all the core reasons for admitting the Reserve teams in the first place and actually analyse the results.
Were the conditions met concerning increased revenue, increased attendance, (particularly the promise of greater numbers of Crows fans attending), increased media coverage and promotion, increased sponsorship revenue and so on.
They also need to consider the long term effects on the the league. For example It is pointless to claim an increase in attendance by whatever nominal amount and not take into consideration key aspects such as the novelty affect, the return of the ANZAC game at Adelaide Oval, Walkers Return game etc. It's no point arguing that these shouldn't be discounted because they are part of the overall count. They were exceptional events for exceptional reasons which will not happen again next year,

More tinkering with Numbers and Top Ups, and so forth is more likely to make the situation worse and further compromise the competition particularly if they start to involve amateur clubs as well.
Excluding them from finals, no premiership points in games against them, etc is as unworkable as the current situation in my opinion and would further degrade the competition.

I don't know what the answer is although removing them from the league altogether should be as much a consideration as any other option.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

What a crock of crap.

um... what?

Is it probably or is it for sure? Although I don't know how you possibly claim for sure that Crows fans are less educated the Power fans
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Robran » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Can someone in the know put the central reserves team player stats up from this past sat please...
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Robran wrote:Can someone in the know put the central reserves team player stats up from this past sat please...

You can click on the link here to view all Reserves stats for each game of the season: http://www.sanfl.com.au/league/reserves_stats/
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Aerie wrote:
Robran wrote:Can someone in the know put the central reserves team player stats up from this past sat please...

You can click on the link here to view all Reserves stats for each game of the season: http://www.sanfl.com.au/league/reserves_stats/

Who you curious on, Robran? Waegner?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm

PORT Adelaide Magpies legend Russell Ebert says scrapping the club’s junior teams will “destroy the very fabric” of the club.

The club’s under-18s played their final match last Saturday, beating rival Glenelg by 49-points at Alberton Oval.

The Magpies will lose their recruitment zones and underage teams from next season, following an agreement with the SANFL to become AFL side Port Adelaide Power’s reserves.

Four-time Magarey Medallist Ebert said the move would cut the organisation deep.

“It begins to dismantle a club which has served the community for 144 years,” Ebert said.

“The common thread for a lot of people in the community and country regions over the years has been the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Magpies.

“Why would you want to destroy the very fabric of what the club has been built on?

“Whether you liked the Magpies or not, at least it generated that connection with football across the state.

“What are these people in the community going to be connected with now?”

The under-18s team, which did not make the underage finals, will be dismantled in the off-season and its players likely absorbed by SANFL rival Woodville-West Torrens.

The Eagles were given control of the Magpies’ metropolitan recruitment zones following last month’s shake-up of club boundaries.

The club’s SANFL League and Reserves teams will remain next season.

Ebert was recruited from Berri and played in three Magpies flags and won six best and fairest awards.

He said the move to dismantle the underage program defied everything the club had been built on.

“Why destroy all of that? All that junior development and community connection will be gone and where are the kids going to go?

“They will either go back to amateur footy or be lost to footy altogether.”

The Magpies’ League side recorded its 44th minor premiership on the weekend despite going down to the Tigers.

The club will play the winner of the Norwood/Sturt clash in the first week of September.
The date and time of the match at Adelaide Oval is yet to be decided.

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it, isn't this what Port wanted?? They don't need junior teams or even one single recruiting officer anymore, they are a feeder to the Power, which they wanted. I'm dumbfounded....
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:[i]PORT Adelaide Magpies legend Russell Ebert says scrapping the club’s junior teams will “destroy the very fabric” of the club.

“Why would you want to destroy the very fabric of what the club has been built on?

This question need to be directed towards Koch, KT, Hinkey and co Russell.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

What a crock of crap.

um... what?

He knows this because he goes to matches John, because he sits in the crowd and listens to what people say. He knows this because his work place has Port and Crows supporters in it. He knows this because he has mates who support Port, he has mates who support Adelaide. Perhaps within his family too.

Loosen the belt on your cranky pants, generalisations about footy supporters level of understanding of the game ARE all you can go on, unless some wide ranging study has been commissioned and the results yet to be published.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:42 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:PORT Adelaide Magpies legend Russell Ebert says scrapping the club’s junior teams will “destroy the very fabric” of the club.

The club’s under-18s played their final match last Saturday, beating rival Glenelg by 49-points at Alberton Oval.

The Magpies will lose their recruitment zones and underage teams from next season, following an agreement with the SANFL to become AFL side Port Adelaide Power’s reserves.

Four-time Magarey Medallist Ebert said the move would cut the organisation deep.

“It begins to dismantle a club which has served the community for 144 years,” Ebert said.

“The common thread for a lot of people in the community and country regions over the years has been the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Magpies.

“Whether you liked the Magpies or not, at least it generated that connection with football across the state.

“What are these people in the community going to be connected with now?”

The under-18s team, which did not make the underage finals, will be dismantled in the off-season and its players likely absorbed by SANFL rival Woodville-West Torrens.

The Eagles were given control of the Magpies’ metropolitan recruitment zones following last month’s shake-up of club boundaries.

The club’s SANFL League and Reserves teams will remain next season.

Ebert was recruited from Berri and played in three Magpies flags and won six best and fairest awards.

He said the move to dismantle the underage program defied everything the club had been built on.

“Why destroy all of that? All that junior development and community connection will be gone and where are the kids going to go?

“They will either go back to amateur footy or be lost to footy altogether.”

The Magpies’ League side recorded its 44th minor premiership on the weekend despite going down to the Tigers.

The club will play the winner of the Norwood/Sturt clash in the first week of September.
The date and time of the match at Adelaide Oval is yet to be decided.

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it, isn't this what Port wanted?? They don't need junior teams or even one single recruiting officer anymore, they are a feeder to the Power, which they wanted. I'm dumbfounded....

While Russell is very eloquent this will need translating for this site. Please read the above as "No AFL in the SANFL"
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Isn't this the same as what he drummed out last year when Port accepted the reserves model?
Any coincidence that it's been pulled out again just before a SANFL directors meeting?
Rusty should be asking questions of his beloved club about the One Club promises that the Magpies would never be a Power reserves team.....but that doesn't fit the agenda.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm

So is Russell on the side of no afl in the sanfl then. I get the article if that's the case
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL