The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby wild dog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Rising Power wrote:I thought that would get a rise out of a few people. Hook, line and sinker haha

LOSE THE DEBATE, SAY IT WAS BAIT.
FOOL
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Rising Power » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

wild dog wrote:
Rising Power wrote:I thought that would get a rise out of a few people. Hook, line and sinker haha

LOSE THE DEBATE, SAY IT WAS BAIT.
FOOL

Mate there is no debate to win. What am I going to do about the situation? I don't care if my reserves team plays in bloody Venezuela, I'll still go to their home games and watch the away games on 7mate. It's up to the SANFL and its member clubs to debate and resolve it. It's fine to whinge on here, being a whinge thread, but it may be more effective to send daily emails to the 8 'pure' clubs and the SANFL instead.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Rising Power wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Wow, that was glorious..............you thought of that fish yourself and managed to see it through to your planned conclusion?

Superb.

Thankyou, I'm performing all week. Please come again.

How was the fish? Not so good, Al.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby wild dog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Rising Power wrote:
wild dog wrote:
Rising Power wrote:Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Re the compromise, I thought it would've been ok to do this as a transition phase (like in the WAFL) but eventually it would be a pointless exercise as some of the players are playing under one game plan (and learning each other's style of play as team mates) and a bunch of others are playing a bunch of others, penalised because they're from SA. Come to think of it, we've had our own players playing against each other in the same competition for years, how silly is that?!

Do you deliberately ignore the issue that the SANFL club is powerless to stop the recruiting of their players who will then, in all likelihood oppose them the following year?

No, I wholeheartedly agree with you, the SANFL clubs are powerless. But it's only ever going to be one or two from any one club at a time. If they're any good they'll play AFL and if they're not they're delisted after 2 or 3 years. So there is a turnover of players being delisted from AFL clubs that can come back and play.

Mate if you have a real passion for this game and you're not trolling, try and understand that those one or two guys from your team who are potentially your best and brightest are simply tapped on the shoulder, offered a contract and moved to the opposition. In terms of best and brightest think Stewart Dew who took a couple of years to become a permanent member of Port Power and helped us to our first grand final. While these one or two are developing in the next two or three years, they are playing against you while they are developing. Imagine one of these guys kicking the winning goal (or four) for their new team against you in the grand final. While they are still developing of course. Its a farce, it will destroy the competition, and it has to be stopped.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby CUTTERMAN » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:

Wow, that was glorious..............you thought of that fish yourself and managed to see it through to your planned conclusion?

Superb.

:)
"I posted something on a forum and someone replied to it!"
"Hook, line and sinker!"
Boy oh boy wow-wee!!!!
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm

When someone says they are 'throwing a line out', that suggests to me they don't actually believe what they are saying, just looking for a reaction. Which is it?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:41 pm

matt35 wrote:To have a crack at answering Mal's question:

For me it's a bit of a tricky one, because circumstances have meant that I have had the ability to attend far more games this year than I have been able to in a number of years. So while I certainly have always followed the competition, I have been in a far better position this year to attend games and to follow my SANFL club than I have been in some years. So the question is probably better directed to someone who was equally engaged in both years.

Having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed the competition this year, as has my partner, and we'll be attending Sunday and regularly next year.

I guess what I have found frustrating on here is, not that people have opinions, even strong opinions about the direction of the competition, but some of the absolute nonsense doom and gloom, conspiracy theories and talking down of the competition, even when the evidence does not support the arguments being put.

Terrific post
Good view point

Yes there are posters who are doomatising the comp
And then there are ones like me who lives in the halycon daze of the SANFL before the AFL interference
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby matt35 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes, and I too was very closely engaged with the comp in the 80s. Went to my first game in 1985, sadly my first Grand Final was 87, so never actually seen my bays win one live. Would love nothing more than to have those days back, but sadly ressies or no ressies that isn't going to happen.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Maddawg » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 pm

matt35 wrote:To have a crack at answering Mal's question:

For me it's a bit of a tricky one, because circumstances have meant that I have had the ability to attend far more games this year than I have been able to in a number of years. So while I certainly have always followed the competition, I have been in a far better position this year to attend games and to follow my SANFL club than I have been in some years. So the question is probably better directed to someone who was equally engaged in both years.

Having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed the competition this year, as has my partner, and we'll be attending Sunday and regularly next year.

I guess what I have found frustrating on here is, not that people have opinions, even strong opinions about the direction of the competition, but some of the absolute nonsense doom and gloom, conspiracy theories and talking down of the competition, even when the evidence does not support the arguments being put.

Matt35 the competition is now that of a handicapped comp whether they have the handicaps correct is the million $ question. They will play with it every year and sometimes the AFL reserves teams will be too strong and other years they will be too weak in an attempt to manufacture an even competition. What we do know is the 8 SANFL clubs don't need to be manipulated to make the competition fair for all but having these other two means manipulation is needed with no guarantee it is right.

Its like watching a race with someone off scratch and someone say off two minutes, a lot of people on here have been part of such competitions and these handicaps can be manipulated,not only the controlling body but the competitor themselves leaving anyone watching unsure if everything is above board.

This is the situation SANFL supporters now find themselves in, not knowing if they have the playing field right.
Maddawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:34 pm

There is the easiest solution to this and it is in the clubs court as they hold all the aces I believe.

No you cannot field reserves teams in the SANFL. Forget about anything else. It's not workable at all and the promises of riches has not eventuated. What Port and the Crows do with their reserves players is up to them.
Thnaks for the 50 thousand Crows and SANFL.. Good luck.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:There is the easiest solution to this and it is in the clubs court as they hold all the aces I believe.

No you cannot field reserves teams in the SANFL. Forget about anything else. It's not workable at all and the promises of riches has not eventuated. What Port and the Crows do with their reserves players is up to them.
Thnaks for the 50 thousand Crows and SANFL.. Good luck.

If only the SANFL & the 8 clubs had the balls to do it eh.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby matt1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7064529984

Jake Parkinson's view on AFL in SANFL
matt1
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:43 pm

matt1 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/rucci-jake-parkinson-leaves-one-dream-job-to-live-another-dream-at-the-sanfl/story-fnia3nqh-1227064529984

Doesn't inspire too much confidence. A predictable response though, isn't going to come out and question the arrangement.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby stan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 am

Just wanted to post to lets yaz know that I reckon we need tin foil hats. Bloody mop heads all over the shop now.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:33 am

Yep sauce. That is all.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tipper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:05 am

hmmm, for any "pro" posters claiming a "lack of evidence" of a downturn in interest due to the inclusion of the ressies sides i give you this.

morning of the grand final, this year the grand final thread is at 8 pages, even though it is involving arguably the biggest "traditional" rivalry in the comp. :roll:

2013, morning of the grand final, thread is at 14 pages, and it goes on to make 33 before it is locked and discussion continues in the post game thread.

and for those that need it, linky: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38994&hilit=2013+grand+final&start=260
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby o five » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm

matt1 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/rucci-jake-parkinson-leaves-one-dream-job-to-live-another-dream-at-the-sanfl/story-fnia3nqh-1227064529984

Looks like he is the perfect man for the job.
I love it how he says crowds are up..
Make way for another snout in the trough directors. :oops:
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Tech1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Didn't hear in but i was told on radio the other day Cornsey slammed the league about the whole AFL Reserves in our league thing and said there should be an asterisk next to anything Port Adelaide listed for the grand final win or lose.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby grant j » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Tech1 wrote:Didn't hear in but i was told on radio the other day Cornsey slammed the league about the whole AFL Reserves in our league thing and said there should be an asterisk next to anything Port Adelaide listed for the grand final win or lose.

Today is definitely SANFL's day of shame.

Olsen & Co should hang their heads in shame
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm

On a day when many eyes were focused on Hawk Cyril Rioli, the Bulldogs, now aligned with the Western Bulldogs and playing their first season as a standalone team in the VFL competition, came from three goals down early in the final term to win by 22 points, 16.13 (109) to 13.9 (87), in front of 23,816 fans at Etihad Stadium.

Rioli had minimal influence on the contest despite a brief spike in the third term and sat out the final term. Box Hill was also suffering from a string of injuries, adding to their lack of rotations which proved costly in the finish.

So despite it being a Grand Final, game on the line and no one on the bench Cyril Rioli sat out the last quarter. Footscray must be stoked with their "win"

This just sums up with what is wrong with the new SANFL in a nutshell.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL