The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby therisingblues » Sun May 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Mic wrote:8-team comp. Each team plays the other 3 times. 21 rounds. Perfect.

Sure, 8 teams makes for easier programming, but I think that the loss of the Magpies outweighs that gain though.
If it turns out that I am the only person who thinks these things then of course it is all irrelevant, but the amount of Port people at Magpies games seems to have dropped pretty far. I think we could boost our crowds by wiping the power muck off the Magpie and providing a place for the SANFL magpies in our league, I think that before the AFL reserves intruded that the Magpies were perhaps contributing about 2,000 supporters per game on average. The most recent blockbuster was Sturt/ Glenelg at the Bay, but I think we have had a couple of Norwood/ Port clashes that filled the Parade before then. I really think the potential loss of character the Magpies bring to the SANFL should be guarded against.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Sun May 31, 2015 5:47 pm

CENTURION wrote:Encouraging news! Spoke to CDFC board members yesterday, FINALLY the SANFL clubs have realised that the 2 AFL sides in the SANFL isn't working & moves are underway to have them removed, might not happen next year, more than likely the following.

Too late sadly.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby whufc » Sun May 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
CENTURION wrote:Encouraging news! Spoke to CDFC board members yesterday, FINALLY the SANFL clubs have realised that the 2 AFL sides in the SANFL isn't working & moves are underway to have them removed, might not happen next year, more than likely the following.

Too late sadly.

Tend to agree but personally it will renew my interest in the comp!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Sun May 31, 2015 7:21 pm

x2.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Mic » Sun May 31, 2015 7:31 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Mic wrote:8-team comp. Each team plays the other 3 times. 21 rounds. Perfect.

Sure, 8 teams makes for easier programming, but I think that the loss of the Magpies outweighs that gain though.
If it turns out that I am the only person who thinks these things then of course it is all irrelevant, but the amount of Port people at Magpies games seems to have dropped pretty far. I think we could boost our crowds by wiping the power muck off the Magpie and providing a place for the SANFL magpies in our league, I think that before the AFL reserves intruded that the Magpies were perhaps contributing about 2,000 supporters per game on average. The most recent blockbuster was Sturt/ Glenelg at the Bay, but I think we have had a couple of Norwood/ Port clashes that filled the Parade before then. I really think the potential loss of character the Magpies bring to the SANFL should be guarded against.

The Magpies are done.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun May 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Great news if true but I'll believe it when I see it.
1. Never trust the AFL clubs concerning the SANFL.
2. Never trust the word of anyone in a position of power regarding footy in SA.
3. Be wary of the AFL's thoughts on this.
I was told last year by a club official that it was very likely that Port would do away with the prison bars and calling themselves the Magpies in the SANFL, it never happened. I'm not blaming that official as they only conveyed what they thought was happening. The point is that nothing is certain.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby StrayDog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:59 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Great news if true but I'll believe it when I see it.
1. Never trust the AFL clubs concerning the SANFL.
2. Never trust the word of anyone in a position of power regarding footy in SA.
3. Be wary of the AFL's thoughts on this.
I was told last year by a club official that it was very likely that Port would do away with the prison bars and calling themselves the Magpies in the SANFL, it never happened. I'm not blaming that official as they only conveyed what they thought was happening. The point is that nothing is certain.

Given the convenient changes of heart by some of the organisations served us this turd sandwich, this is a lesson that no dyed-in-the-wool follower of SANFL football should forget.

Ever.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 am

my interest in the league has disintegrated to the point of just occasionally looking at scores and the ladder.

however if the clubs decided to get rid of the AFL teams and actually re-engage with the fans than I would follow the league a helluva lot more closer than I do currently and even may go to matches.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:21 am

IF the two AFL sides were moved on I think the interest and more importantly the crowds would improve a lot. It could create a tighter competition which boost the crowds further.

It would be better for the AFL sides to play against more AFL reserves teams so they should go across to the VFL. Doubtful this will happen though
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Suri wrote:IF the two AFL sides were moved on I think the interest and more importantly the crowds would improve a lot. It could create a tighter competition which boost the crowds further.

It would be better for the AFL sides to play against more AFL reserves teams so they should go across to the VFL. Doubtful this will happen though

If they are voted out it might be their only option or go back to the model from 1991-2013......their choice.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 pm

I wouldn't want to go back to that model. I don't mind them playing in the comp just not finals. In all things there has to be a middle ground that fits all needs.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby UK Fan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Just remember the less that attend

The more chance we have of removal of AFL clubs from our league.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby wild dog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm

UK Fan wrote:Just remember the less that attend

The more chance we have of removal of AFL clubs from our league.

Unfortunately I am now tending to agree. Things are just not always as simple though.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Fricky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:45 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:I wouldn't want to go back to that model. I don't mind them playing in the comp just not finals. In all things there has to be a middle ground that fits all needs.

It will never go back to the old model.

I like the idea of no AFL in the SANFL finals.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby RB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:51 pm

I like the idea of No AFL in the SANFL.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Suri wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:I wouldn't want to go back to that model. I don't mind them playing in the comp just not finals. In all things there has to be a middle ground that fits all needs.

This would just given the AFL clubs more incentive to not bother fielding their best team every week, something a lot of you have criticised on here as ruining the integrity of the comp. That would be worse than the current situation by a long way imo.

I think its time for a full AFL reserves comp, hell, even an U18 comp too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:08 pm

bennymacca wrote:This would just given the AFL clubs more incentive to not bother fielding their best team every week, something a lot of you have criticised on here as ruining the integrity of the comp. That would be worse than the current situation by a long way imo.

If there was a full reserves comp, or the AFL clubs moved elsewhere, they will still need top up players, and without any connection to the SANFL the SANFL clubs would be ripe for the picking... especially the 19/20/21 yo's that missed getting picked in the draft and wanting to have another crack. Best place to be seen by an AFL club is under their noses.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:10 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
bennymacca wrote:This would just given the AFL clubs more incentive to not bother fielding their best team every week, something a lot of you have criticised on here as ruining the integrity of the comp. That would be worse than the current situation by a long way imo.

If there was a full reserves comp, or the AFL clubs moved elsewhere, they will still need top up players, and without any connection to the SANFL the SANFL clubs would be ripe for the picking... especially the 19/20/21 yo's that missed getting picked in the draft and wanting to have another crack. Best place to be seen by an AFL club is under their noses.

I would agree with that. But that might be the price the SANFL has to pay if they want a "pure" comp.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Suri wrote:

This would just given the AFL clubs more incentive to not bother fielding their best team every week, something a lot of you have criticised on here as ruining the integrity of the comp. That would be worse than the current situation by a long way imo.

I couldn't give a stuff if they try or not if they can't qualify for finals. To be honest I don't really get much satisfaction from watching Sturt play against either franchise reserves teams, it means half of f*** all now and should do in the future. So no difference apart from giving the main point of the comp back to the SANFL clubs, players and supporters, that being winning a flag in a fair competition.
I fully understand the effects of an AFL reserves comp would have on the SANFL and I fully understand the needs of both AFL franchises to have their reserves teams. They can compete for the minor premiership and then do as they please.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:27 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Suri wrote:

I couldn't give a stuff if they try or not if they can't qualify for finals. To be honest I don't really get much satisfaction from watching Sturt play against either franchise reserves teams, it means half of f*** all now and should do in the future. So no difference apart from giving the main point of the comp back to the SANFL clubs, players and supporters, that being winning a flag in a fair competition.
I fully understand the effects of an AFL reserves comp would have on the SANFL and I fully understand the needs of both AFL franchises to have their reserves teams. They can compete for the minor premiership and then do as they please.

my point is barring them from finals doesnt automatically make it a fair competition
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL