SANFL MRP News & Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

Postby cennals05 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 pm

cennals05 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
I will be very interested in the outcome tonight. I am sure the SANFL will be looking to make a state given it occurred during a week where the dangers of concussion were highlighted. No doubt the eagles lawyers will be arguing to ignore all the media hype and look at the act in isolation. It is simply no different to the Kane-Gallagher incident last year which barely raised a mention (even more so now Symes has been diagnosed with concussion rather than fracture) and the verdict should reflect this.

When was the Kane/Gallagher incident? I can't find a report on the SANFL website. Was it during the finals?

It's OK, I found it. It was actually from 2012. It was the incident that Jericho got in trouble for tweeting about.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:49 pm

cennals05 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
I will be very interested in the outcome tonight. I am sure the SANFL will be looking to make a state given it occurred during a week where the dangers of concussion were highlighted. No doubt the eagles lawyers will be arguing to ignore all the media hype and look at the act in isolation. It is simply no different to the Kane-Gallagher incident last year which barely raised a mention (even more so now Symes has been diagnosed with concussion rather than fracture) and the verdict should reflect this.

When was the Kane/Gallagher incident? I can't find a report on the SANFL website. Was it during the finals?

It's OK, I found it. It was actually from 2012. It was the incident that Jericho got in trouble for tweeting about.

How many games did he receive? As a guess I'd say 4-5. Kane's record with the tribunal is fairly similar to Grocke so it might give some guidance about what to expect. From memory Gallagher was forced to miss two games. I think the suspension prevented Kane from playing in the finals.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 pm

So it"s 5:38 pm, is Grocke swinging in the breeze yet like most want????
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby JK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 pm

cennals05 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

Yep .. Both bad incidents, but Grockes is worse imho because it's only luck Symes didn't end up with a badly broken face.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 pm

any result?

would be done by now
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Adam Grocke has been handed a 7 week suspension by the SANFL tribunal.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Big Phil wrote:Adam Grocke has been handed a 7 week suspension by the SANFL tribunal.

Probably got it about right IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Big Phil wrote:Adam Grocke has been handed a 7 week suspension by the SANFL tribunal.

That's pretty spot on imho
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 pm

7's around the mark, nice to be surprised.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Big Phil
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Yep 7 seems a reasonable outcome.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:7's around the mark, nice to be surprised.

Agree,

Reading the article above I think the SANFL were spot on with their view of the incident.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Inadequate given the 10 weeks Scooter got 24 years ago and he was provoked through an off the ball incidents 5 mins before hand.

No I won't get over it!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

am Bays wrote:Inadequate given the 10 weeks Scooter got 24 years ago and he was provoked through an off the ball incidents 5 mins before hand.

No I won't get over it!!!

Provoked by a Stringer ? Then they ran. Alan was good at that .

7 for that . Like I said no idea how it all works but a decent shirtfront will get 4 ??
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Elizabeth Oval, Round 14, Sat 19th July 2:10pm. Look forward to seeing holden78 with his number 14 Eagles guernsey standing on the members wing.

7 weeks, can't argue with that. Big loss to the Eagles given his role as a 2nd ruckman as well as forward this season.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby LPH » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Having seen the vision Grocke had to go although 7 weeks seems a little excessive to me - I know many on here were hoping for a lynching or a public burning. I would've thought 5 weeks at a stretch 6 but to be only 1 week less than Lockett's elbow on Caven (remembering he smashed the bloke's face into mush) 7 seems a little harsh. I am by no means defending Grocke's action & the fact he was airborne didn't help either.

What I am most concerned about (I am glad Symes has no broken jaw) is I heard Symes has been KO'd 9 times in 10 seasons, including 4 times in the last 2 seasons - with all the medical evidence around these days re: Brain/Memory issues from Concussions, this is very worrying for the lad's future.

He is certainly going to have to think very seriously about continuing his career, one would think.

As an aside (I know this will incite the Doggie Fans) but seriously, what a joke that Gowans should be on radio this morning 'preaching' about this incident. In his own words; "I was no saint"... never a truer word was spoken, me thinks.
Perhaps it would've been wiser to say nothing?
A bit rich of him to even comment IMHO.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm

LEH wrote:Having seen the vision Grocke had to go although 7 weeks seems a little excessive to me - I know many on here were hoping for a lynching or a public burning. I would've thought 5 weeks at a stretch 6 but to be only 1 week less than Lockett's elbow on Caven (remembering he smashed the bloke's face into mush) 7 seems a little harsh. I am by no means defending Grocke's action & the fact he was airborne didn't help either.

What I am most concerned about (I am glad Symes has no broken jaw) is I heard Symes has been KO'd 9 times in 10 seasons, including 4 times in the last 2 seasons - with all the medical evidence around these days re: Brain/Memory issues from Concussions, this is very worrying for the lad's future.

He is certainly going to have to think very seriously about continuing his career, one would think.

As an aside (I know this will incite the Doggie Fans) but seriously, what a joke that Gowans should be on radio this morning 'preaching' about this incident. In his own words; "I was no saint"... never a truer word was spoken, me thinks.

Hows that a joke ? Symes and Grocke were running towards each other. Hardly a gutless snipe.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm

LEH wrote:Having seen the vision Grocke had to go although 7 weeks seems a little excessive to me - I know many on here were hoping for a lynching or a public burning. I would've thought 5 weeks at a stretch 6 but to be only 1 week less than Lockett's elbow on Caven (remembering he smashed the bloke's face into mush) 7 seems a little harsh. I am by no means defending Grocke's action & the fact he was airborne didn't help either.

Well said. I know he could have said no, but AA rang him to come on...
Big Phil
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Yep, 7 sounds reasonable.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Aerie wrote:The Eagles as a football club probably need to reflect a little on the reputation they're gathering. Kane's hit on Gallagher in 2012 was equally disturbing and Parry stepped over the line a couple of times too often. Play hard by all means, that is a must, but play fair.

Don't forget Rowntree viciously standing still so Willets could headbut him in the guts.

But agree with you Aerie, it is a concern. These things haven't just been light-weight 1 game striking incidents or unfortunate clashes. We proved we could play good hard footy in the 2010 and 11 finals before these incidents started to happen, so you wouldn't think the players were, in a misguided way) trying to overcome the soft tag.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL