Round 9 - Sturt v South Adelaide - POST MATCH

Postby scott » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Full Time
Sturt
3.2 6.4 8.6 14.8 (92)
South Adelaide
3.3 5.6 7.10 12.12 (84)

Goals:
Sturt - Coad 6, Bartlett 2, Tambling, Watt, Crocker, Calabrese, Hansen, Evans.
South - Macleod 3, Eddy 2, Liddle 2, Gulden, C.Daniel, Brooksby, Hourigan, Rolfe.

Disposals:
Sturt - Tambling 23, Harms 20, Wilson 20, Beard 19, Greensland 18.
South - Rose 26, Macleod 25, Thewlis 24, Liddle 24, Gulden 21, Fields 20, Gotch 19.

Match Stats:
Disposals - Sturt 286, South 328
Marks - Sturt 82, South 81
Tackles - Sturt 45, South 46
Clearances - Sturt 37, South 47
Inside 50s - Sturt 49, South 35
Free Kicks - Sturt 13, South 16
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Round 9 - Sturt v South Adelaide - POST MATCH

Postby dedja » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Boom ...

Hi DOC
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby southee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:44 pm

dedja wrote:Boom ...

Hi DOC

Yep ! :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Second Team » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:56 pm

What happened to all the South supporters that jumped on the bus early on in the season. Where is' Panther Pants'. Shot his mouth off early and hasn't been heard since. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby locky801 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:59 pm

One game does not define your season, not supporting either club i am happy that both are up and about and doing well, both have struggled for many seasons and hopefully they both make the finals
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby LPH » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Interesting game of footy.
South are a VERY frustrating team to follow - quite frankly, I can't believe the supporters keep fronting up, week after week!
How do they do it?
I dropped my Boy off @ Woodville (as he continues to follow WWTFC - I am a traitor apparently) & went out to Unley.
One of the great things about being part of this Forum, is meeting fellow SANFL supporters from opposition Clubs - thanks to Andrew & Pino (Sturt supporters) for great conversation & Beers :D
South are a very difficult team to 'support' - the amount of times the forward 50 was vacant, was astounding!

Sturt played well - am impressed by them.
Tom Harms had great game in defence - but South's forward line is struggling big time.

I have to admit (& it has nothing to do with the performances) it is difficult to have the same 'passion' for another team.
I find myself 'barracking' for them but the emotion is not the same.
I think my interest in SANFL is slowly diminishing & that upsets me.

Morphettville may well get my 'full-time' patronage as of 2015, unfortunately :(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby saintal » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Sturt too good when it mattered. Game never reached any great heights, but the tightness of the scores kept it interesting. Skill level poor from both clubs on a breezy day.

Big final term from Coad. 4 kicks for 4 goals I think.

Decent crowd for a Sturt v South game.

Thewlis, MacLeod, Gulden and Rose probably among our best. Certainly missed Rolfe's input.

Caught the end of the twos. South were 5pts up at the 21 minute mark, only to lose by 31 :shock:
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:53 pm

saintal wrote:Decent crowd for a Sturt v South game.

Just over 3,000, which was good, agreed...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby saintal » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Second Team wrote:What happened to all the South supporters that jumped on the bus early on in the season. Where is' Panther Pants'. Shot his mouth off early and hasn't been heard since. :shock: :shock: :shock:

So you go out of your way to make a post in this thread, but have nothing to contribute in the thread on last night's "thriller" involving your club? 8)

I thought only Power and Crows supporters play these sort of games....oh, just noticed you support the paps, that might explain it.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby prowling panther » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Big Phil wrote:
saintal wrote:Decent crowd for a Sturt v South game.

Just over 3,000, which was good, agreed...

Sturt had to have at least 75% of the crowd behind them.

I have to admit, I am seeing a lot of new South faces at the footy that I have not seen before, maybe they have come out now the sun is starting to shine.

I thought today's game was a crap performance by both sides, Sturt outplayed South when it counted, in the last few minutes of the game.

The last couple of losses by South (In my opinion) has been due to moving Eddy away from the goal square, trying somewhere to hide Crabb for the duration of the game so he does the least damage, not having at least a couple of players in the forward 50 when everyone else pushes down the ground playing crowded footy. Sturt maintained at least one forward in their 50 meter arc all day, which gave them a chance when the ball came forward in a hurry, many times we were caught with no one to kick to and Sturt mopped up easily.

Today's umpiring was absolutely woeful, the amount of obvious free kicks that were not given for both sides, there were far to many ball ups when players were ridden into the ground which resulted in stacks on the mill pile ups, while waiting for someone to throw the ball out while they run in ever increasing circles, second guessing whether to stop play or let it become more of a mess which is a blight on our game, marks were paid which were iffy and obvious marks were called play on, the players are becoming more confused which on a few occasions resulted in a bit of biff, push and shove, then someone gets a 25meter paid against them. Todays umpires should be sent back to the seconds next week and stay there until they understand the game and put in better performances.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby heater31 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:23 pm

saintal wrote:Caught the end of the twos. South were 5pts up at the 21 minute mark, only to lose by 31 :shock:

Didn't make a rotation off the bench in that time either. Can only assume they had nothing left whilst Sturt had theirs intact.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:29 pm

LPH wrote:
I have to admit (& it has nothing to do with the performances) it is difficult to have the same 'passion' for another team.

Morphettville may well get my 'full-time' patronage as of 2015, unfortunately :(

I must admit I don't know how anyone could go from barracking for one team one year to suddenly attempting to barrack for another the next. It just doesn't work that way. All the years of supporting in the club, through thick and thin, standing in the rain and supporting them as they get flogged, enjoying the wins when you know the players have busted their guts - it builds up a strong emotional attachment with the club. All that does not get transferred to a new club overnight.

I'm sure this is what happened when West Torrens and Woodville merged though. So many supporters from each club would have seen the merger as a new team rather than one representing woodvill or west torrens. Without any emotional tie they simply walked away from the game rather than supporting the new eagles or even supporting a rival club. SAme thing with Fitzroy in the AFL.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby westozfalcon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:35 pm

The signs have been there for the last month.

The initial enthusiasm and effort under a new coach has withered on the vine and it's back to the old ways.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times

Postby clanger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 pm

westozfalcon wrote:The signs have been there for the last month.

The initial enthusiasm and effort under a new coach has withered on the vine and it's back to the old ways.

what gives you that impression?
clanger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby southee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:29 pm

I would say the "intensity" has definitely fallen off .....not enthusiasm or effort.

3 losses in a row....Port ressies , Adelaide ressies and now Sturt.

Testing times once again for us South supporters......once there is hope it can get dashed pretty quickly. :?
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:39 am

Southee how many key players are still out injured ?????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby saintal » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Southee how many key players are still out injured ?????

Not many, had a pretty strong team on Saturday. Bass and Redigolo would be the two that would be in our best 21. Rolfe went off in the 2nd term, with possible rib injury I think? The other injured players would be considered 'depth' players at best.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 pm

clanger wrote:

what gives you that impression?

Basically the results!

There was that game against Adelaide where we shipped 9 unanswered goals in the 3rd quarter. That was a worrying sign and totally perplexing given the dominant manner of some previous wins.

I might have been wrong to say enthusiasm has gone. The better word was probably ‘confidence’.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times

Postby southee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Southee how many key players are still out injured ?????

Bass has hurt us as we do not really have a second ruck-man.

Redigolo been a big loss down in defense as he was so reliable and you can depend on him.

Rolfe was injured straight in front of me and I heard a massive "crack"...I was worried it was his knee that went again but apparently he has broken ribs. This guy cant take a trick !!! We well miss him alot this year as I believe when fit is a match winner for us.

Other than that I thought our side on Saturday was pretty strong especially up forward has we had Darcy Hourigan back and Caleb Daniel. We just really got beaten on the day by a side that did their homework on us. Crocker tagged Cross all day and shut him out plus a few undisciplined things went on that cost us a bit and basic skill errors. We missed some absolute easy goals 25 to 30 meters out with no pressure.

Tambling and Coad match winners when it counted with their experience.
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
LPH wrote:

I must admit I don't know how anyone could go from barracking for one team one year to suddenly attempting to barrack for another the next. It just doesn't work that way. All the years of supporting in the club, through thick and thin, standing in the rain and supporting them as they get flogged, enjoying the wins when you know the players have busted their guts - it builds up a strong emotional attachment with the club. All that does not get transferred to a new club overnight.

I'm sure this is what happened when West Torrens and Woodville merged though. So many supporters from each club would have seen the merger as a new team rather than one representing woodvill or west torrens. Without any emotional tie they simply walked away from the game rather than supporting the new eagles or even supporting a rival club. SAme thing with Fitzroy in the AFL.

Nobody can and LPH admits that himself, there's no passion for his new club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL