Financial Status Of SANFL Clubs 2014.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Financial Status Of SANFL Clubs 2014.

Postby Apachebulldog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:54 pm

With the home and way season finished a year which has been reduced from 23 rounds down to 18 rounds because of the introduction of the AFL RESERVES INTERLOPERS what is the financial situation with all SANFL clubs.

This farce has resulted in all clubs missing out on 5 weeks of home and away extra revenue !!!!!

Also because of Centrals poor season and not making the finals there was also potential to generate further revenue for say 1 to 4 weeks during finals.

Therefore by my reckoning some clubs have missed out on potentially 5 to 9 weeks of a revenue stream .

So the FIFTY Thousand Shekels each club received will really not compensated them for their losses this year.

So the multi million dollar question was it really worth voting these AFL parasites into the SANFL competition.

The six SANFL clubs who voted yes for this ridiculous concept sold their SOULS for a pitiful bag of shekels !!!!

My gut feeling is Central will take massive financial hit in 2014.

Apart from Norwood who will probably go on and play against the Power RESERVES in the Grand FInal most clubs will therefore make a loss.

How are the other SANFL clubs faring financially this year ?????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Financial Status Of SANFL Clubs 2014.

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Glenelg have had a massive turnaround and will get close to breaking even.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Only played 20 games in the last few years so have only lost 2 games.
I do have no doubts some clubs will still have losses this year. Other clubs look to have done ok
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Correct Jim, 2 less matches but the pure SANFL teams still have 10 home matches, so this alone shouldn't have had much impact on revenue.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:23 pm

dedja wrote:Glenelg have had a massive turnaround and will get close to breaking even.

I must be missing something dedja. Our home match crowd figures are low (and doctored), you could fire a cannon in the club before a game and not hit anyone & I reckon membership has dipped. I know we apparently made a fair bit at the gala auction night & the monthly Tiger Lunches are popular but I was under the impression that the gaming room, bar & bistro were struggling - reflecting the whole club.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Yes, reasonable points on the face of it but you'll find that there has been a turnaround.

The Annual Report will reveal all.
dedja
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Spargo wrote:
dedja wrote:Glenelg have had a massive turnaround and will get close to breaking even.

I must be missing something dedja. Our home match crowd figures are low (and doctored), you could fire a cannon in the club before a game and not hit anyone & I reckon membership has dipped. I know we apparently made a fair bit at the gala auction night & the monthly Tiger Lunches are popular but I was under the impression that the gaming room, bar & bistro were struggling - reflecting the whole club.

Have been working around the area for a month or so and everytime I drive by there appears to be plenty of cars. Would think they would have a decent turnover
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:33 pm

dedja wrote:Yes, reasonable points on the face of it but you'll find that there has been a turnaround.

That's really good to hear then (knowing your involvement with club re sponsorship & the like) coming from you.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Are you saying Dedja that the introduction of the AFL reserves teams has been the saviour of the Glenelg FC???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:04 pm

dedja
Coach

Postby PhilH » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Glenelg had an extra 5,502 come to its home games this year. At an average $6 per person spend (league average I am told) at bar & canteen that is about $33K of extra revenue, take out the cost of good sold and hopefully there is some profit from that. This does not include gate income.

They would have also receive $50K from the Crows. Profit with no expenses.

Not sure how Ports $50K works ...ie if it results in each club receiving 50K extra.

They shouldn't have had any expenses (legal or otherwise) from the light tower installation that bogged them down in previous years.

They may have had a dip in membership. A standard general adult membership has a profit margin of $20-$35.
So if they had 500 less adult members that would be a profit loss of $10,000 to $17,500

Then there is sponsorship, fundraising and the biggest income producing component of all the social club / function centre.

So overall they should be in a better financial position ... but they were coming from a long way back.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:29 pm

There's a lot more in the mix than that but yes, there is some upside in the details you've highlighted.
dedja
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 am

Surely there's more than $20-$35 profit per member.
Assuming they have to cover fixed costs with what membership they have, another 500 members would generate considerably more than $20 profit. With 500 fewer members I'd think the loss of profit will be greater than the $50k they get from the Crows.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby PhilH » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am

John an average Concession Membership is around $40. Average SANFL adult club membership is $6o-$70.

In the hypothetical of a 500 drop off and absolutely $0 cost to service that is at most $35,000 loss of revenue.

I should add I don't know of any club that lost 500 members, most have less than 3,000 to start with. I was purely using it as an example.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 am

PhilH wrote:John an average Concession Membership is around $40. Average SANFL adult club membership is $6o-$70.

In the hypothetical of a 500 drop off and absolutely $0 cost to service that is at most $35,000 loss of revenue.

I should add I don't know of any club that lost 500 members, most have less than 3,000 to start with. I was purely using it as an example.

Don't most who become members also buy season tickets?
North membership & home match tickets is $110 and full season ticket is $150
It soon adds up Phil when you include food & drink
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Tassie Blues » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:51 pm

I believe Glenelg membership is very slightly up on 2013 but still about 500 down on 2012
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:07 am

dedja wrote:Yes, reasonable points on the face of it but you'll find that there has been a turnaround.

The Annual Report will reveal exactly what the current SANFL regime wants the clubs to reveal, a better than expected financial result.

A recent SANFL CEO agreed with me that West Lakes would be putting a lot of pressure on the eight clubs to show 'an OK result' and there'd be the normal moving of money within the various entities that comprise an SANFL club to ensure this on paper anyway.

The interesting thing is the legal position of the supposed independent auditors that sign off on such doctored books. Lets just hope there are plenty of aggrieved folk out there with current memberships to receive the figures, an accounting degree and sh*t on liver about the rancid behaviour of their clubs.

(Dogs and Panthers excepted of course)
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 am

am Bays wrote:

Are you saying Dedja that the introduction of the AFL reserves teams has been the saviour of the Glenelg FC???

Hi Nick! :D
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby dedja » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 am

topsywaldron wrote:

The Annual Report will reveal exactly what the current SANFL regime wants the clubs to reveal, a better than expected financial result.

A recent SANFL CEO agreed with me that West Lakes would be putting a lot of pressure on the eight clubs to show 'an OK result' and there'd be the normal moving of money within the various entities that comprise an SANFL club to ensure this on paper anyway.

The interesting thing is the legal position of the supposed independent auditors that sign off on such doctored books. Lets just hope there are plenty of aggrieved folk out there with current memberships to receive the figures, an accounting degree and sh*t on liver about the rancid behaviour of their clubs.

Talking crap much?
dedja
Coach

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 am

topsywaldron wrote:

Topsy, I only read my club's Annual Report but I would expect that most clubs would be similar and report their Football and Footballer's clubs together in the same document. It's pretty easy to add them together and get a group result. I am expecting another loss for the dogs. Overall from what has been reported on here it sounds like most clubs will be either in negative territory or showing a mild profit. I doubt any will show a really strong set of figures.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL