Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm

[quote="holden78"
The Board & Footy dept. must recommit the direction of this club now to fully focus on league premiership success only.
All fans/ supporters are only really interested in that and as much as the club might want to think otherwise, anything else is of little interest.
/quote]

The modern way of footy; block space, run and spread, switch backwards adnauseum, kick it 14.75m continually then turn it over etc. is a game for teams of midfield types ..... it's not Godden footy, it's not Eagles footy......
H78's solution is if Mick wants to do another year then the CEO, Trent and Mick would want to make some decisions on some deadwood tryhards like Blesing, Martyn, Schwarz, Lane etc. while actually getting serious about recruiting pacy hard at it midfielders, about 6, plus a good ruckman!
And leadership needs more then just Jarrad and Rowntree, some genuine quality on field leaders would cut down Godden's workload substantially.[/quote]

What is amazing is that our reserves team has been dominant over the last three years but how many of these guys have stepped up to the league side? We’ve tended to hang onto guys in their early 20s far longer than other clubs which has given us some advantage at that level. But most of these guys are hacks – great at reserves level but unable to step up to league level. There is no point hanging onto them. We should be treating our Reserves as a defacto U18s team to give the young guys a chance to develop as much as possible.

We need to be ruthless with our assessment of our squad and not feel guilty about making hard decisions. Thank these guys for their contribution and send them on their way - you’re a midfielder but have no speed? See you later. You’re unable to kick a low accurate drop punt on the run? We don’t want you. You’re a key forward but unable to mark the ball outstretched in your hands? Try another club. You aren’t mentally strong and willing to put in full effort when things aren’t working? Not at our club.

I worry next year that the eagles will look at Rowntree’s return as an excuse not to recruit quality midfielders. And if they do, they will limit it to targeting Petrenko who will more than likely be delisted from the Crows. Neither will solve our problems. Rowntree is a really good inside midfielder but is not quick and cannot run and spread. Petrenko puts in effort but doesn’t get enough of the ball and has shocking disposal.

We’ve heard a million excuses from the club over the past few years why we are not trying to bolster our midfield. I reckon this year’s results though may have finally forced the club to acknowledge the need to address the glaring weakness that will prevent us from ever being a force again. Fingers crossed.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Got to agree with a lot of what Mr Fuller, Aerie, holden and Saintal wrote.

There seemed little "team" about the way we played - both in terms of cohesive ball movement and in terms of everyone playing safe for themselves, not taking risks, everyone doing enough to protect themselves from saying they had shockers, but no one played a full, decent game. The lack of discipline at crucial stages was absolute BS. Lloyd early, Batley in the third, Borholm tried hard, Guifredda maybe, but that's about it.

As a squad, the backline is reasonably solid, probably only held back by MacKenzie maybe not coming on as a key defender as hoped. However, the rest of the side is in disarray.

Aside from recruiting, questions need to be asked about the development of the next generation of our midfield and smaller players. Goldsworthy was a State player last year, Allmond had a great first couple of years, Hall hasn't developed either. They should be nearing their prime ready to take over the mantle, but have gone backwards to the point of almost being non-entities.

Another indictment of where the club is at is who's the next captain? Cicca, McKenzie, Powell were all logical successions and fully deserving, but who is there now? Rowntree probably if he'd had a full season, Raymond sometimes takes the game by the balls and shows something, Jarrad obviously has seniority but not sure about captain.

Well done to South, they played a good, solid game and, unlike us, representing the club and their mates was important to them. For the progress they've made, it would have been disappointing for them to finish any lower, and would be great to see them go further. Hope whoever wins the first semi wins the flag.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby dedja » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:23 pm

Jeez, you'd all kill yourselves if you were Bays supporters ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:33 pm

Eagal05 wrote:Sorry LPH (or whatever you call yourself these days)
We didn't get to see you at the game last night after all.
What happened? Too busy hiding behind your computer posting your inane comments and too gutless to face your former WWWT friends?
I have read and heard your "dribble" all year about your allegiances (or not) to the SANFL and in particular to your parting of the ways with the WWWT footy club. While you have every right to do what you think is right and you may have quite valid reasons for your decisions, it is not appropriate for you to stick the boots in to our club at every opportunity!

Is it appropriate to bugger up the club's acronym? Twice?

Well done South. One down, Two to go.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Fluffbag » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Was it just me or did Brett Eddy tried to tap the ball down to a player more often than attempting to mark the ball, didn't know if that was a game plan or lack of confidence.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:39 pm

dedja wrote:Jeez, you'd all kill yourselves if you were Bays supporters ... :lol:

:lol:
Guess we don't want to see our club slip into mediocrity again. Managed to pull ourselves* out of it after 97/98, but heading that way again.
BTW that's not a reference to Glenelg, moreso to the old Woodville and West Torrens days.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Havnt seen much of the underage footy this year but the Eagles are around the mark and whacked us yesterday. Is there many in that side that could of been playing this year? Seems like the Eagles fans are always complaining about the "oldies" in the team, why hasnt more u18's been blooded?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:09 pm

There's been a few tried in the league this year, Tasman Fitzgerald, Appleton, Sinor, Whittlesea, Schwarz, Muirhead. Lloyd and Lodge played last night. Haven't seen enough of them this year to know why they haven't played more league footy. Certainly Zac Fitzgerald was one some of us were disappointed he never got more of a run. But if we're going to serve up what we did last night, then I'd rather give these players a decent run at it rather than playing Boyd, Kane and McGregor, who are only bit players.
The more I think about it, the more a big problem seems to be the development/stalling of these players once they get to fringe league level. Batley, Martyn, Hall, Allmond, Poole are a bit older, but not looking like advancing themselves.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Spiritof64 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Was it just me or did Brett Eddy tried to tap the ball down to a player more often than attempting to mark the ball, didn't know if that was a game plan or lack of confidence.

I saw him as well, but in all cases he was at least double teamed but aware enough to tap the ball to a running team mate in a better position.
The Older I get the BETTER I WAS!!!!
Spiritof64
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Whyalla

Postby LPH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:52 pm

What happened? Too busy hiding behind your computer posting your inane comments and too gutless to face your former WWWT friends?
I have read and heard your "dribble" all year about your allegiances (or not) to the SANFL and in particular to your parting of the ways with the WWWT footy club. While you have every right to do what you think is right and you may have quite valid reasons for your decisions, it is not appropriate for you to stick the boots in to our club at every opportunity!
Our players did not vote for the AFL to join the league, but our players (and ex players) hit the field week after week and have had to play against former team mates and their former club - these are the guys I support! If I didn't support them, there is NO WAY I would jump to another club - ask any true supporter of any club - I would sooner sever a limb!!
I am not in favour of the AFL in the SANFL but I would NEVER turn my back on my club!
I remember very clearly that you told me "no matter what, I will always be an Eagles member....I may not be able to attend every game but I will be an Eagles member for life" - Hollow words my friend! Not only did you renege on this, you publically wished for South to "smash" the Eagles last night and throughout the season! Well you got your wish after all!
And before anyone gets on and gives me curry - please note, this has nothing to do with football - it is ENTIRELY personal!!
I wish South all the very best for the rest of the finals - they deserve to be there. You guys played with passion last night showing solid structure and team discipline - well done!
And LPH - I hope you do stay away from the SANFL next year as you say.......it doesn't need you.

Quite a rant.
Of course, you wouldn't know why I didn't attend last night - but hey, you vent all you like.
I won't be there next week either, as previously stated.
Not sure I've EVER hid behind my keyboard, but you go with that if you need to :lol:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stampy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 pm

vot a vunka
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby StrayDog » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 pm

Our players did not vote for the AFL to join the league, but our players (and ex players) hit the field week after week and have had to play against former team mates and their former club - these are the guys I support! If I didn't support them, there is NO WAY I would jump to another club - ask any true supporter of any club - I would sooner sever a limb!!
I am not in favour of the AFL in the SANFL but I would NEVER turn my back on my club!
I remember very clearly that you told me "no matter what, I will always be an Eagles member....I may not be able to attend every game but I will be an Eagles member for life" - Hollow words my friend! Not only did you renege on this, you publically wished for South to "smash" the Eagles last night and throughout the season! Well you got your wish after all!
And before anyone gets on and gives me curry - please note, this has nothing to do with football - it is ENTIRELY personal!!
I wish South all the very best for the rest of the finals - they deserve to be there. You guys played with passion last night showing solid structure and team discipline - well done!
And LPH - I hope you do stay away from the SANFL next year as you say.......it doesn't need you.

If you sit there long enough, someone in a black uniform will be standing right behind you with a bowl of hot soup and a nice clean blanky.

By the way, couldn't help noticing ONE of you having the courage of his convictions air them, and himself, out for all to see last year (as did a couple of others at the time, I might add.)

Oh and, yes, well done South. Now go and do what's right and go all the way.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby LPH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:32 pm

... please note, this has nothing to do with football - it is ENTIRELY personal!!

Quite an effort to post one post in 9 years there Eagal05. :roll:
Obviously, some pent up anger over that period of time.
How's the Ulcer coming? 8)
LPH
League - Best 21

Postby Eagal05 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Unlike some, I only "vent" when and where it's warranted!
Eagal05
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby on the rails » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Eagal05 wrote:Unlike some, I only "vent" when and where it's warranted!

Who are the WWWT? No relation to your sellout President by any chance? :roll:
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby holden78 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Got to agree with a lot of what Mr Fuller, Aerie, holden and Saintal wrote.

There seemed little "team" about the way we played - both in terms of cohesive ball movement and in terms of everyone playing safe for themselves, not taking risks, everyone doing enough to protect themselves from saying they had shockers, but no one played a full, decent game. The lack of discipline at crucial stages was absolute BS. Lloyd early, Batley in the third, Borholm tried hard, Guifredda maybe, but that's about it.

As a squad, the backline is reasonably solid, probably only held back by MacKenzie maybe not coming on as a key defender as hoped. However, the rest of the side is in disarray.

Aside from recruiting, questions need to be asked about the development of the next generation of our midfield and smaller players. Goldsworthy was a State player last year, Allmond had a great first couple of years, Hall hasn't developed either. They should be nearing their prime ready to take over the mantle, but have gone backwards to the point of almost being non-entities.

Another indictment of where the club is at is who's the next captain? Cicca, McKenzie, Powell were all logical successions and fully deserving, but who is there now? Rowntree probably if he'd had a full season, Raymond sometimes takes the game by the balls and shows something, Jarrad obviously has seniority but not sure about captain.

Well done to South, they played a good, solid game and, unlike us, representing the club and their mates was important to them. For the progress they've made, it would have been disappointing for them to finish any lower, and would be great to see them go further. Hope whoever wins the first semi wins the flag.

Seriously though what the hell can Godden and Trent H say to justify Blesing and Martyn being recruited? Or what about Eddy and Kirk????
If your making basically flawed moves like these and not being held to account because the Board is in awe of 2011's flag while the President is only concerned with a cushy retirement on the Commission GravyTrain........ we've got what we deserved!

Godden needs to draw a line under the last three years, admit flawed thinking and recruiting mistakes; take ownership of the poor situation we are in under his leadership, then stand up and make some really hard calls on the playing list, free up the necessary $ and recruit a league standard midfield :evil:

PS No holidays Trent and Mick until you've fixed it :roll:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am

Great win by the boys. So good to beat the Eagles.

Not sure why I am reading so much about the Eagles recruiting strategy I thought it was pretty obvious, isn't it just poach players from South???
Godden probably is on the phone to Eddy as we speak or maybe he is trying to get Crossy again (Good Luck)

Anyway onto the game Cross, Brooksby, Liddle, Caleb Daniel & Gulden best for us I thought.

Sat behind the Southern Goals and really enjoyed giving it to Wundke in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Can anyone please advise when Wundke's due date is cause it must'n be far off???

Went to the presentations in the Western Grand Stand after the game would encourage all South supporters to get there next week.

GO U PANTHERS!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby darley16 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

Tough pressure game as expected in finals, thought Eagles tried to suck in some youthful South boys with a bit of push n shove which at times worked in their favour. Great to see plenty of blue and white in the crowd and one of the biggest and loudest South cheer squads seen for some time, well done guys. Felt Sturt should have beaten the Norwood so another toughie coming up. Well done to the South players for their respect shown at the end of the game to retiring Eagles players, that's what sport is about.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am

Templeton was a positive. McGregor was a good pick up. Thought Ainger actually did ok in terms of presenting. Just struggles if he doesn't mark it. I think two talls is enough, so don't need to replace Grocke as such, but need a mobile Westbrook/Inkster/Treeby type as 3rd target.

Ruck and midfield speed is the most obvious problem to fix. Simply won't get anywhere with current rucks. Borholm showed no improvement as year went on and is handy back up at best.

Accountability and desperation missing. It needs to be decided if Godden can get this back in to the playing group, although it really should be player driven.

Hall, Goldsworthy, Appleton, Batley etc. will decide if this Eagles team will be a strength or whether it slips.

If Ainger/Wundke/Boyd attitude not first class then make the call to cut losses and build again.

2011 was a once off miracle that is pretty hard to replicate. Eagles need to lay foundations again and be patient, either with or without Godden in charge.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby LPH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Agree on McGregor - he appears to be a 'goer'.
Is Wunke not fit? - Looks 'big' to me (kettle back 8) )

South's second half looked better than Eagles, on TV at least.
Thought they actually kept WWT in the game in 1st half.
LPH
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL