Brendan McCartney quits as Bulldogs coach

Talk on the national game

Re: Brendan McCartney quits as Bulldogs coach

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm

MatteeG wrote:Lingy tweeted it best:

"After 3 seasons, Macca 20wins 46 losses v Clarko 28wins 40 losses. Dogs baulk v Hawks didn't. Average club v great club. Success takes time."

yep take a look at Geelong at Centrals.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby hottie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:07 am

Heard David King say that Montgomery will be the next coach, but I think Sanderson will.
hottie
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby CoverKing » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 am

David Brent wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:what a ******* joke

what more can a coach do with a squad like that

I felt that they were a team slowly building - just a little too inconsistent

so I hope the western bulldogs and the senior players that forced this decision play out their remaining days in a team that sits at the bottom of the ladder

no wonder they haven't won a flag since noah was a boy!

This is the coach that dropped Mcrea mid year for no apparent reason, after he was dominating on all fronts for them.

Didn't drop him, played him as the sub, and he said it was due to the lack of defensive effort.
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:30 am

I've read somewhere on here that there has never been a coach that's never played VFL/AFL that has won a flag. Yep, agreed. There have also been many premiership players that have coached and gone very badly.

Regarding the club - If this isn't a case of the tail wagging the dog then I don't know what is. Shame because I like watching the dogs play good footy, they're exciting to watch.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:31 pm

I wonder if the recent events helped stop Lonergan from leaving Geelong
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11886 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby Pup » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I wonder if the recent events helped stop Lonergan from leaving Geelong

I would say as i did on the previous page that it would be almost certain to be
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Hondo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 pm

"After 3 seasons, Macca 20wins 46 losses v Clarko 28wins 40 losses. Dogs baulk v Hawks didn't. Average club v great club. Success takes time."

It's not a great record though let's be honest. What do we want clubs to do ... persist with finishing 14th and losing to GWS in the last round?

I get the gripe that Griffin seems to have tipped the boat but if we are brutally honest do senior players question the really good coaches? Sometimes yes I'm sure but if you hear interviews with Lions players under Matthews, they rave about him. Ditto Crows players under Blight, Did Sheeds ever have a mutiny or a fall out with his captain?

Watch "Year of the Dogs" and you can see an example of a team disconnected from its senior coach and going nowhere. A decision had to be made there and was finally with Joyce.

I know the tail shouldn't wave the dog but at the same time the players aren't idiots and I reckon they can sniff out a weak link up top.

If I am CEO and my club finished 14-15th every year of 3 years and there's a big disconnect with the senior players I am not sure if no decision is better than just making the tough call and moving on.

What are our expectations on senior coaches these days anyway?
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:40 pm

I think the dogs were heading in the right direction. Just lacked consistency.
they reminded me of the cats in 99
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11886 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby Hondo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Lingy's comparison to Hawthorn is a bit misleading.

Clarkson's trajectory was something like 6 wins in 2005, 9 wins in 2006 and then 13 wins and finals appearance in 2007. A clear upward arc and a pretty simple decision to continue on with him,

Put in that light it's not a comparison to the Bulldogs under McCartney - 5 wins, 8 wins then 7 wins. I think in fact they were consistent - consistently poor under McCartney. There's no upward trend there and in fact it seems to be swinging back down.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Pup » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Hondo wrote:

It's not a great record though let's be honest. What do we want clubs to do ... persist with finishing 14th and losing to GWS in the last round?

I get the gripe that Griffin seems to have tipped the boat but if we are brutally honest do senior players question the really good coaches? Sometimes yes I'm sure but if you hear interviews with Lions players under Matthews, they rave about him. Ditto Crows players under Blight, Did Sheeds ever have a mutiny or a fall out with his captain?

Watch "Year of the Dogs" and you can see an example of a team disconnected from its senior coach and going nowhere. A decision had to be made there and was finally with Joyce.

I know the tail shouldn't wave the dog but at the same time the players aren't idiots and I reckon they can sniff out a weak link up top.

If I am CEO and my club finished 14-15th every year of 3 years and there's a big disconnect with the senior players I am not sure if no decision is better than just making the tough call and moving on.

But the problem is its the same old story with the Bulldogs.

So the review was conducted and announced they had a few issues but both parties wanted to continue then that changes all of a sudden?

Why should the supporters be happy that the senior players have been pretty much calling the shots at that club for over a decade? As you said watch Year of the Dogs.

Then the club has the nerve to say Ryan Griffen WILL be staying as contracts are contracts? Get a bloody grip.

This club is in a huge amount of trouble.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Hondo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm not saying McCartney is the only problem at the club.

But persisting with him just for the sake of pretending there is stability when clearly there isn't going to transform the W-L record.

Hawthorn went through 4 coaches between 1993 and 2004 before Clarkson arrived.
Hondo
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:20 am

Hondo wrote:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, an Adelaide supporter giving commentary on the failings or otherwise of another ordinary club. Reality is your club is no better than the club you're bagging, in fact the club you're bagging has done more than yours in the last 6-8years. At least their captain has the balls to say he wants out while the club still has him and can get something for him. Your captain will walk for nothing next year, doesnt give a shit if you get anything or not, its all about Paddy
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:08 am

Hondo wrote:

I listen to Melbourne radio a fair bit and Tim Watson has said that they tried to get rid of Sheedy for '27 years' at Essendon when he was playing. The board stuck with him, the players came and went and success followed. I really don't think 3 years is long enough to turn a list around (these days) and get them playing your style of footy.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 am

Hondo wrote:I'm not saying McCartney is the only problem at the club.

But persisting with him just for the sake of pretending there is stability when clearly there isn't going to transform the W-L record.

Hawthorn went through 4 coaches between 1993 and 2004 before Clarkson arrived.

And then they went through a rough patch for Clarko's first three years and success followed thereafter.

I really don't get sacking coaches. In saying that, any time Malthouse wants to leave, I'll gladly open the door for him.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Hondo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 am

Gadj didn't Sheedy have Essendon in a GF in his 3rd year? Clarkson was in finals in year 3.

What's with all these bleeding hearts for Brendan McCartney? ;)

Coaches are paid big money to do a job and by year 3 clubs want to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Hondo
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am

Hondo wrote:Gadj didn't Sheedy have Essendon in a GF in his 3rd year? Clarkson was in finals in year 3.

Coaches are paid big money to do a job and by year 3 clubs want to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Not bleeding hearts - well not me anyway - I think 3 years are wasted if you turn over coaches in that time period, that's all.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:46 am

Hondo wrote:Gadj didn't Sheedy have Essendon in a GF in his 3rd year? Clarkson was in finals in year 3.

It was a perfect opportunity for a perennial underachieving club to make a statement and reset their culture. Instead they took the easier option.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Hondo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:23 am

Jk what if Port had taken that approach with Primus?

Or the Crows with Shaw? Or Melbourne with Neeld (Jury out there I know)

Sometimes you've got to cut your losses.

3 years is a good run for a guy with no previous senior coaching experience. The reality for clubs like the Bulldogs is they can't get the highest rated coach due to money so they are working in that next tier which had that lower success rate so the coach changes more often

I'm not excusing the club completely but McCartney needed to show more improvement in the W-L to put any question marks to bed. I think any club is allowed to not accept 20 wins in 3 seasons with a list that I assume we all think is better than that.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:31 am

It's easier to dump a coach, rather than dump the players that aren't buying into him.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby JK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:37 am

I get where you're coming from mate, but I wouldn't have thought the culture at Port and The Bulldogs were comparable.

McCartneys lack of playing at the highest level is irrelevant imho as it was also the case when the club appointed him. The Dogs have a good contingent of quality young cattle and I think they had an opportunity to set a message of what their club is all about (or aspire for it to be) to these youngsters, but instead chose a path that better suited the older blokes, all of whom have had their chances to take the club somewhere but are never going to.

For me this isn't so much about whoever was sitting in the coaches chair .. McCartney might not have been the long term saviour, but I would have stuck by him here to send the right message. If he wasn't deemed good enough in a year or twos time then he could be set free on the clubs terms, not those of disgruntled players.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL