Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:19 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:No probs with Gus but lol at wanting one for Ryder considering you actually poached him knowing full well what the outcome could be

Read the article, it clearly states it's only Gus and not Ryder.

We would argue certainly where Angus is concerned that we had no knowledge of what he had potentially been through when we recruited him at the end of 2012," Thomas said. "With Paddy we knew what we were getting and we were prepared to take the risk. But no one had knowledge of the situation two years earlier.

Did wub12 just hack Jims account? :lol:

Ease up on Jim, dare say he's got a bit on his mind ATM with this arvo' announcements.
Wubby on the other hand.....
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5500 times
Been liked: 5140 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:25 am

i am still struggling with PTSD after last years grand final...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i am still struggling with PTSD after last years grand final...

Oh boo ****ing hoo, you got beaten by 63 points!

:(
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:No probs with Gus but lol at wanting one for Ryder considering you actually poached him knowing full well what the outcome could be

We would argue certainly where Angus is concerned that we had no knowledge of what he had potentially been through when we recruited him at the end of 2012," Thomas said. "With Paddy we knew what we were getting and we were prepared to take the risk. But no one had knowledge of the situation two years earlier.

Ease up on Jim, dare say he's got a bit on his mind ATM with this arvo' announcements.

Nah im pretty relaxed, nothing I can do about it.
Confident all players will get off but worst case is a heap miss 6 months. Not as if we are challengers this year anyway so if we cop a few 300 point beltings so be it lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Confident all players will get off but worst case is a heap miss 6 months. Not as if we are challengers this year anyway so if we cop a few 300 point beltings so be it lol

from what i have heard, and this isnt designed as dig at Essendon or Jim, there are two options which are in play

GUILTY - the players have their lawyers ready to go to sue the Dons and the AFL
NOT GUILTY - ASADA/WADA step in and appeal

Either way, today is a small part in many more months years worth of distraction
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Fricky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm

The players wont sue straight away. If the players are found guilty they will appeal the decision, if they lose the appeal then they will take Essendon and the AFL to court.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Suri wrote:The players wont sue straight away. If the players are found guilty they will appeal the decision, if they lose the appeal then they will take Essendon and the AFL to court.

From all reports appealing is a fruitless process, why not just hit the court?
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Fricky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Suri wrote:The players wont sue straight away. If the players are found guilty they will appeal the decision, if they lose the appeal then they will take Essendon and the AFL to court.

From all reports appealing is a fruitless process, why not just hit the court?

Appealing is the Essendon/Hird way
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:[quote="Jim05"]No probs with Gus but lol at wanting one for Ryder considering you actually poached him knowing full well what the outcome could be

from what i have heard, and this isnt designed as dig at Essendon or Jim, there are two options which are in play

GUILTY - the players have their lawyers ready to go to sue the Dons and the AFL

Either way, today is a small part in many more months years worth of distraction[/quote]

Yes, a not guilty verdict would allow the players to play until appeal is held which could be 12months
Jim05
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:24 pm

Jim05 wrote:Yes, a not guilty verdict would allow the players to play until appeal is held which could be 12months

Would that jeopardise backdated suspensions?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Yes, a not guilty verdict would allow the players to play until appeal is held which could be 12months

Would that jeopardise backdated suspensions?

If the appeal is 12 months from now, I guess that the players will play out this full season & sit out next preseasons NAB games to backdate the suspension to the last game played this season
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 pm

We got Ryder because he wanted to leave after the crap your club put him and his family through. Which will continue for years to come because the players still don't know what they were given.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Footy Smart wrote: GUILTY - the players have their lawyers ready to go to sue the Dons and the AFL

Either way, today is a small part in many more months years worth of distraction

No point in trying to sue the AFL, it will be thrown out in seconds. The AFL has policy and procedures in place that informs the players and officials what is right and wrong. It's just like in the work place, companies will have risk assessments and work instructions on how to perform tasks, which pretty much covers their ass in case something went wrong.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:49 pm

kickinit wrote:

We got Ryder because he wanted to leave after the crap your club put him and his family through. Which will continue for years to come because the players still don't know what they were given.

Yes that had a fair bit to do with but wasnt the sole reason he had to move interstate.
The fact still remains that you knew the risks when you picked him up.
Doesnt matter now because he will play this week and should be very good for you
Jim05
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Round 1 Preview: Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle- Sunday 5th April @ Domain Stadium

Games Played- 29 (Port Adelaide 16, Fremantle 13)
Meetings at Domain Stadium- 16 (Fremantle 8, Port Adelaide 8 )

Last time they met:
2014 First Semi Final: Port Adelaide 15.15.105 def. Fremantle 11.17.83 @ Domain Stadium.
Last 5- Fremantle 3, Port Adelaide 2.

It Begins Here.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."- Michael Jordan

As Port Adelaide embark on their 2015 campaign against the Dockers this Sunday in search of their 2nd premiership, as a fan I can’t help but relate to the above quote. Our 2004 premiership was built upon repetitive failures but an undisputed desire to one day climb the mountains peak. Our group is on a similar journey this year. Recent times have seen us fail countless times, and we have been beaten to the brink of extinction- but we have rallied and are more desperate than I have ever seen us to taste the ultimate success. Of late we have seen Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood take similar journeys to the premiership. Can Port do the same?

Anyway, thinking in the present requires Port to focus on the task at hand and of late, there has been no tougher task than Fremantle at the House of Pain. The Dockers controlled proceedings in the first half of the Semi Final only to kick 6.11 and leave that door slightly ajar, to which Port belted down with a dominant 2nd half and booked themselves a spot in a Preliminary Final.

Summary

The 2 games at Domain Stadium last year produced cracking spectacles, and this will be no different- leaving us salivating at the thought of what this season opener can potentially produce. Both coaches play a contrasting brand of football. Ross Lyon preferring to attack early on and shut the game down, Hinkley with his defence the best form of attack. Fremantle will aim to have numbers around the footy, pressuring Port Adelaide into making skill errors and forcing the turnover where a high energy forward line on their day is capable of piling on the goals quickly. For Port- quality ball movement is the key. Nobody questions their fitness or endeavour, but will an over emphasis on the handball play into Fremantle’s hands, or leave Fremantle high and dry where a new look forward line and dangerous mosquito fleet leaves them lamenting?

Key Matchup’s

Travis Boak vs. Matt De Boer.

With the pending charges facing Ryan Crowley leaving Fremantle short of a gun tagger, De Boer looms likely to take on the goliath task of manning Port Adelaide’s chief ball winner and spiritual leader. Boak has averaged just 18 touches in his last 3 encounters against the Dockers, and was held to just 4 touches at half time of the semi-final. A massive pre-season for De Boer gives him the aerobic ability to run with Boak, but Travis will find it easier to outmuscle De Boer around the contest and release to outside runners. A fascinating battle looms here.

Sandilands/Clarke vs. Lobbe/Ryder

Today’s tribunal result is a MASSIVE boost to the Power, an understatement if there ever was one. Sandliands absolutely monstered Lobbe in the semi-final, winning the hit-out count 50-27, however Lobbe’s asset isn’t necessarily stoppage hit-outs, but pressure acts around the ground. Port Adelaide will win this battle based on 2 factors. 1) Fremantle were the number 1 ranked side for hit-outs, however fell to 9th for clearances. Port Adelaide ranked 2nd for clearances in 2014 averaging 40.6 per game, with Robbie Gray a master at reading opposition ruckwork, whilst Power fans can expect Wines to go head to head with the supremely talented Fyfe in an attempt to nullify his influence at stoppage set-ups. 2) Scoreboard impact. Ryder is head and shoulders above Clarke when it comes to hitting the scoreboard and marks inside 50, with a tally of 20/36 in comparison to Clarke’s 12/14 in 2014. When swung forward in combination with Schulz and Westhoff- Ryder provides Port Adelaide with as dangerous a forward set up in the competition- something Clarke is yet to impose himself on where a neutral would consider Sandilands and Lobbe fairly even in this area.

The Six Points (AFL website)

1. Port Adelaide beat Fremantle twice in three encounters in 2014. Prior to last season the Dockers had won the previous six games between the two sides, including three wins by more than 50 points.

2. Port Adelaide ranked second for marks inside 50 in 2014, averaging 13.5 during the home and away season. Fremantle ranked ninth, averaging 11.4 during the regular season.

3. Fremantle was ranked No.1 for hit-outs in 2014 but the Dockers slipped to ninth in clearances. Port Adelaide was the second best clearance team averaging 40.6 per in 2014.

4. Port Adelaide is one of only three teams to defeat Fremantle at Domain Stadium in Perth in the last two seasons. The other two sides were North Melbourne and Essendon.

5. Port Adelaide was the second best scoring team in 2014. Port was one of only two sides to average 100 points or more per game. Fremantle was ranked eighth averaging 91 points per game.

6. The 2014 AFL Players' Association MVP Nat Fyfe (ninth) is ranked 27 places higher than the 2014 AFL Coaches' Association MVP Robbie Gray (36th) on the Official AFL Player Ratings.

Valleys’ Projected Match-ups:

Port Adelaide:

FB: Jonas Carlisle Broadbent
HB: Pittard Trengove Hombsch
C: Polec Wines Hartlett
HF: Wingard Ryder White
FF: Monfries Schulz Westhoff
R: Lobbe Boak Gray

I/C: Cornes Ebert Stewart Young

Fremantle:

FB: Duffield McPharlin Spurr
HB: Sutcliffe Johnson Ibbotson
C: Pearce Barlow Hill
HF: Walters Pavlich Mayne
FF: Ballantyne Clarke Tabener
R: Sandilands Fyfe Mundy

I/C: Neale De Boer Crozier Suban

Valleys’ Final Thoughts:

Either way ladies and gentlemen, strap yourself in for a cracking season opener if you are a fan of either team. Fremantle have a window closing fast with many ageing stars on their last legs. Port on the contrary has a window that is beginning to open, and have a 5 game start that will define their season. The inclusion of Ryder has been touted as the missing link for the Power this season- and call me biased, but a slightly depleted Dockers backline might just be the ticket to see the Power start 1-0.

Port by 7 Points.
Last edited by valleys07 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

valleys07
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Did you mean to leave De Boer out?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 735 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm

DOC wrote:Did you mean to leave De Boer out?

:lol:

Nice pick-up- I had him in place of Mzungu. Edited.

valleys07
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm

valleys07 wrote:

Really wish you weren't just a Port supporter & could do your write ups for every team.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby valleys07 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 pm

cracka wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Really wish you weren't just a Port supporter & could do your write ups for every team.

Cheers Cracka- appreciate the feedback mate!

I certainly wont be doing write-up's for every game- It takes me long enough to do the Port Adelaide games :lol:

However- If there is demand for it and if time permits, I'm happy to provide some analysis on the crows games that I watch. I will be heading to AO with a mate this week so could compose a review on their game. I cant guarantee they will be as in-depth as the Port ones though!

valleys07
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:51 pm

valleys07 wrote:
cracka wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Cheers Cracka- appreciate the feedback mate!

I certainly wont be doing write-up's for every game- It takes me long enough to do the Port Adelaide games :lol:

However- If there is demand for it and if time permits, I'm happy to provide some analysis on the crows games that I watch. I will be heading to AO with a mate this week so could compose a review on their game. I cant guarantee they will be as in-depth as the Port ones though!

Id certainly read a crows review Valleys.
Footy Smart
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL