World Cup 2015

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: World Cup 2015

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Now Brett Lee named as bowling coach for Ireland during the WC:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-06/b ... up/6074496
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:56 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
carey wrote:3 horse race. In order

Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. No one else can win it.

If you go back to post number 1 on this thread you will see that was my sentiments exactly.

The kiss of death is now official mate :D

It does seem that way, although to me Australia doesn't feel like it is as strong a team as befits the favourites tag.
Thought this time last year England were building towards being right up there, giving blokes like Stokes, Ballance and Jordan experience in Australian conditions combined with Bell, Broad, Anderson, Root, Morgan, but their performances over the last month didn't feel like they were building or gaining momentum
Will be interesting to see how Pakistan goes, bit of an unknown quantity.

Yep agreed. England have lost all momentum. All it might take though is a win v Australia.

Pakis could knock us off in the quarters and lose a semi by 200 runs. Dangerous but not consistent enough.

Everyone I speak to thinks Australia but I am leaning towards a very dangerous looking NZ or SA. Both have world class batters and dangerous bowlers not necessarily 6 all-rounders in their team.

I hope, no I pray we win but won't be surprised if we lose in the major round. We are not invincible.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:08 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

If you go back to post number 1 on this thread you will see that was my sentiments exactly.

It does seem that way, although to me Australia doesn't feel like it is as strong a team as befits the favourites tag.
Thought this time last year England were building towards being right up there, giving blokes like Stokes, Ballance and Jordan experience in Australian conditions combined with Bell, Broad, Anderson, Root, Morgan, but their performances over the last month didn't feel like they were building or gaining momentum

Yep agreed. England have lost all momentum. All it might take though is a win v Australia.

Pakis could knock us off in the quarters and lose a semi by 200 runs. Dangerous but not consistent enough.

Everyone I speak to thinks Australia but I am leaning towards a very dangerous looking NZ or SA. Both have world class batters and dangerous bowlers not necessarily 6 all-rounders in their team.

I hope, no I pray we win but won't be surprised if we lose in the major round. We are not invincible.

South Africa rely too heavily on De Villers and Amla with the bat and Steyn and Morkel with the ball IMO so therefore I don't think they can win it.

And yes I agree we are not invincible but we have easily the best all round squad of Batsman, Allrounders and Fast bowlers, our possible 'weak links' aren't as weak as other teams possible 'weak links.

And with NZ they've been playing some great cricket and they're my favourite along with Australia but lets wait and see until their batsman face the might of Mitchell Johnson, they haven't faced anyone near the quality of MJ yet.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10367 times
Been liked: 1523 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:27 pm

I still havnt written off India, got a feeling they will come good
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Grahaml » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:37 pm

New Zealand are in the rung below SA and AUS in my book, along with Sri Lanka. Reckon India and England are below them and then Pakistan and WI the ones likely to be most under threat from the minnows. The biggest point of difference between Aus, SA and the others is they both can put an 11 on the field where everyone is a dangerous player with a few reliable stars. NZ and SL have some really good players but the 8th-11th picked blokes aren't much chop. India and England thinner again and Pakistan/WI are going to rely on blokes from left field having breakout tournaments to compete.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:43 pm

Grahaml wrote:New Zealand are in the rung below SA and AUS in my book, along with Sri Lanka. Reckon India and England are below them and then Pakistan and WI the ones likely to be most under threat from the minnows. The biggest point of difference between Aus, SA and the others is they both can put an 11 on the field where everyone is a dangerous player with a few reliable stars. NZ and SL have some really good players but the 8th-11th picked blokes aren't much chop. India and England thinner again and Pakistan/WI are going to rely on blokes from left field having breakout tournaments to compete.

Well said Grahaml, that has been mine and my brother's thinking when discussing the top countries World Cup prospects.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10367 times
Been liked: 1523 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:47 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

as an England supporter I disagree whole heartedly, the tri series was the best one day cricket we have played in ages. We got flogged this time last year by you guys at least this time we were competitive till the final in the tri series. We got rid of cook which helped, ali is promising at the top, Taylor has looked ok but I agree jordan should play over woakes and they want ballance in the team but hes injured. Also id prefer stokes over bopara but stokes was in horrid form for the english summer. The reality is where no were near as good as Aus, Sa or Nz but we are definitely better then last year or this past english summer where we had a 1990 approach to one day cricket.

Im excited to see young milne for NZ bowls 150km and looks to be really promising to back up boult and southee plus you add vettori and there bowling attack is one of the best in these conditions. Williamson and mcullum are the key to their batting as well.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:49 pm

still reckon the aussies bat deeper and have better hitters than any other team and thats what should get us over the line. not too many other teams could be 4-60 and still make 280 like we did the other day against england.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Yes and Australia did that with 4 world class players on the sidelines. India are a bigger threat imo.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby hearts on fire » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Anyone know any sites to live stream the warm up game today? Unable to make it down to there today,would be ideal day for it though.
~ R.I.P John McCarthy, 19-11-1989 - 9-9-2012 ~
hearts on fire
Coach

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Gozu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:07 pm

hearts on fire wrote:Anyone know any sites to live stream the warm up game today? Unable to make it down to there today,would be ideal day for it though.

Firstrowsports have a stream of the match.

Warner tearing it up in front of a smallish crowd at AO.

Aus 1/111 (15 overs)

Warner 68 (57)

Watson 18 (15)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby hearts on fire » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Cheers mate works a treat.

Are these warm ups classed as ODIs? Should be on channel 9 or Foxtel surely, they are showing it to everyone else around world.
hearts on fire
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:30 pm

hearts on fire wrote:Cheers mate works a treat.

Are these warm ups classed as ODIs? Should be on channel 9 or Foxtel surely, they are showing it to everyone else around world.

Not official matches. The entire squad can bat or bowl if they choose to.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby hearts on fire » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:05 pm

Ahh yep fair enough mate, these are worrying signs Maxwell's form is peaking way to early before the World Cup, won't do anything for months now
hearts on fire
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Aus 5/307 (43 overs)

Maxwell 92 (50)

M. Marsh 14 (21)
Gozu
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:23 pm

The Big show is showing today 122 off 57 balls and retires

Aust 5/345 with 5 overs to go

Starc comes in and gets a golden duck , all of a sudden 8/346
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3731 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Australia 371 (48.2)

Maxwell 122 (57) ret
Warner 104 (83)
Bailey 44 (66)

M. Shami 3/83 (9.2)
Gozu
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Im confused, lets just everyone, Haddin listed, now isnt on the batting list when he as same with HAzelwood, Cummins and Doherty not on the team sheet yet both are batting, guses yep its a trial
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3731 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 am

batmanbegins wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

as an England supporter I disagree whole heartedly, the tri series was the best one day cricket we have played in ages. We got flogged this time last year by you guys at least this time we were competitive till the final in the tri series. We got rid of cook which helped, ali is promising at the top, Taylor has looked ok but I agree jordan should play over woakes and they want ballance in the team but hes injured. Also id prefer stokes over bopara but stokes was in horrid form for the english summer. The reality is where no were near as good as Aus, Sa or Nz but we are definitely better then last year or this past english summer where we had a 1990 approach to one day cricket.

Im excited to see young milne for NZ bowls 150km and looks to be really promising to back up boult and southee plus you add vettori and there bowling attack is one of the best in these conditions. Williamson and mcullum are the key to their batting as well.

Sorry batman, but I just don't see it. Balance is a big loss through injury, and I take your point about Stokes' form, but while Taylor looked okay, I don't think he will score consistently fast enough on Australian wickets, although may be more of an asset in NZ if the wickets are greener. Probably the biggest positive for England was the form of FInn.
I thought last year, despite the 4-1 scoreline, England actually played pretty well (should have won in Brisbane, probably in Adelaide and made a pretty competitive 270 in another game) and looked better than the last few weeks.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby whufc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 am

NZ batting first after losing the toss

14 degrees and game started under drizzle
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times