Bali Nine - is the death penalty justice?

Anything!

Re: Bali Nine - is the death penalty justice?

Postby RustyCage » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:14 pm

8.3kg of heroin. They were found to be the ringleaders. They knew the death penalty applies if caught. They all used false names while over in Bali to hide what they were doing.

I feel sorry for their family, of course, but these scum deserve no sympathy.

What people personally think of the death penalty is completely irrelevant.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 pm

valleys07 wrote:Is there any truth to the story published on Friday I wonder (may already be common knowledge)..

Apparently the AFP leaked information of the operation to Indonesian Police, attempting to have the smugglers bypass Indonesian Customs and the drugs to be seized upon arrival into Australian Customs, so as to try them under Australian Legislation (avoiding capital punishment). Apparently Indonesian Police double crossed and intercepted the smugglers on Indonesian soil.

Interesting twist if true..

Hasn't that story been around since they were first caught?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 pm

valleys07 wrote:Is there any truth to the story published on Friday I wonder (may already be common knowledge)..

Apparently the AFP leaked information of the operation to Indonesian Police, attempting to have the smugglers bypass Indonesian Customs and the drugs to be seized upon arrival into Australian Customs, so as to try them under Australian Legislation (avoiding capital punishment). Apparently Indonesian Police double crossed and intercepted the smugglers on Indonesian soil.

Yes, the AFP knew what was going to happen to an extent, but didn't know how the two groups of the Bali 9 were linked (half were from Brisbane and half from Sydney). They had no power to stop any of it as no crime had been committed, and passing on the information they had to Indonesian police was acting according to Australian government policy at the time.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby valleys07 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 pm

heater31 wrote:

Hasn't that story been around since they were first caught?

No idea heater, hence why I said it may already be common knowledge.

I haven't followed the case closely at all, until the recent publicity surrounding the death penalty.

Interesting twist though I thought.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

RustyCage wrote:

Yes, the AFP knew what was going to happen to an extent, but didn't know how the two groups of the Bali 9 were linked (half were from Brisbane and half from Sydney). They had no power to stop any of it as no crime had been committed, and passing on the information they had to Indonesian police was acting according to Australian government policy at the time.

Ah ok. Cheers for that Rusty.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Hopefully the bullets are slightly off target so these two scum of the earth death's are painfull and prolonged.

We Australians don't like foreigners tell us what our laws should be or what social philosophies should dictate our social mores so why should we try to influence what goes on our near neighbouring fellow Asian countries??? Hypocrisy at it's finest!
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1815 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Are these 2 the only ones on Death Row? What happened to the others of the Bali 9?

I don't support the death penalty, I believe everyone deserves a second chance, however it is hard to have sympathy for what they did.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3539 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:Are these 2 the only ones on Death Row? What happened to the others of the Bali 9?

I don't support the death penalty, I believe everyone deserves a second chance, however it is hard to have sympathy for what they did.

One more was sentenced to death but got overturned to life without parole on appeal. The others are on 20 year sentences same as Corby.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1856 times

Postby White Line Fever » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:Are these 2 the only ones on Death Row? What happened to the others of the Bali 9?

I don't sympathise with them.

But to be shot at the ages of 31 & 33 is a waste of life.

There is a reason Australia doesn't have capital punishment.

It's what makes us better humans.

A few of you guys need more empathy...
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:20 pm

White Line Fever wrote:

What if your son/daughter/family member/friend died from the drug they tried to import into the country? I reckon you would change your tune.
MW
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:29 pm

If it was my son/daughter/family member - I'd be angry all right, but I'd also be realistic enough to know my relative made a choice to take that drug. No point being angry at the suppliers, they're just meeting demand.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:38 pm

MW wrote:
White Line Fever wrote:

What if your son/daughter/family member/friend died from the drug they tried to import into the country? I reckon you would change your tune.

Then it was your son/daughter/family member/friend who chose to take the drug.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7503 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:41 pm

Yes and I agree with you, but if it were your own would you think like that?
The facts are they knew the risks, the signs are plastered all over the friggin airport walls mentioning the death penalty.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm not going to argue with you, I don't see this particular debate has a right or wrong, no definitive answer.

What we do know is, they broke the rules in that country and they pay the penalty imposed by that country. That's it, what we think ultimately matters very little.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7503 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:55 pm

totally agree.
MW
Coach

Postby White Line Fever » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 am

Booney wrote:I'm not going to argue with you, I don't see this particular debate has a right or wrong, no definitive answer.

What we do know is, they broke the rules in that country and they pay the penalty imposed by that country. That's it, what we think ultimately matters very little.

Really can't argue with that.

I guess it's irrelevant what we think.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:07 am

Dogwatcher wrote:If it was my son/daughter/family member - I'd be angry all right, but I'd also be realistic enough to know my relative made a choice to take that drug. No point being angry at the suppliers, they're just meeting demand.

You don't think they, like other retailers, work to create and increase demand, by encouraging potential new customers to try their product, or existing customers promote the product among their acquaintances in return for free doses?

Based on old literature and more modern TV representations my impression was that it was common practice in the drug biz to give out small free samples for a while and then put the squeeze on once the customer was hooked.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 392 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:12 am

I heard on the radio this morning the ring leader of the operation won lotto and is living it up in Sydney. I think he won lotto in more than one way!

Im not too sure why the 2 guys facing the firing squad wouldn't name him?? got nothing to lose now
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11871 times
Been liked: 3608 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am

Psyber wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:If it was my son/daughter/family member - I'd be angry all right, but I'd also be realistic enough to know my relative made a choice to take that drug. No point being angry at the suppliers, they're just meeting demand.

You don't think they, like other retailers, work to create and increase demand, by encouraging potential new customers to try their product, or existing customers promote the product among their acquaintances in return for free doses?

Based on old literature and more modern TV representations my impression was that it was common practice in the drug biz to give out small free samples for a while and then put the squeeze on once the customer was hooked.

I need to start pretending I'm a new customer then.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I heard on the radio this morning the ring leader of the operation won lotto and is living it up in Sydney. I think he won lotto in more than one way!

Im not too sure why the 2 guys facing the firing squad wouldn't name him?? got nothing to lose now

I read that article. Both Chan and Suka won't name him for fear that they'll harm their families.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion