West Coast Eagles 2016

Talk on the national game

West Coast Eagles 2016

Postby helicopterking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Can't wait for footy to start.
Such a disappointing end to what was a fantastic season.
Outstandingly coached from Simpson last season, considering what we lost at the start of the year, to get where we did, only excitement awaits and hopefully go 1 better. I'd expect Simpson will slightly tinker with the defensive set up, having the luxury of his 2 main backman returning. We got tested for depth last season and they all stood up, so hopefully our results won't vary if we lose a couple due to injury throughout the year, which makes the good teams great.
Much Harder draw this season, but I wouldn't expect to drop to many games at home. Anything outside the 4 I'd be disappointed.
Looking forward to see the progress of Liam Duggan and Tom Lamb, along with Elliot Yeo going to another level and to see how many goals JK can kick if he stays injury free and where they play Jeremy McGovern, who I think is an absolute star in the making, hard to believe he has only played 33 games.

Got to feel for a young lad called Damien Cavka, who we drafted last season, before a foot injury sidelined him for last season, and now been forced to retire at 19. Shattering for anyone.

My Starting line up at Full Strength

B: Sheppard, MacKenzie, Hurn
HB-Schofield , Brown, Wellingham
C- Jetta, Priddis, Gaff
HF- Lecras, Darling, Yeo
F- Cripps, Kennedy. McGovern

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

Masten,Sheed,Duggan,Lycett
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 683 times

Re: West Coast Eagles 2016

Postby stan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Just need to keep the big men on the park.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

helicopterking wrote:Can't wait for footy to start.
Outstandingly coached from Simpson last season, considering what we lost at the start of the year, to get where we did, only excitement awaits and hopefully go 1 better. I'd expect Simpson will slightly tinker with the defensive set up, having the luxury of his 2 main backman returning. We got tested for depth last season and they all stood up, so hopefully our results won't vary if we lose a couple due to injury throughout the year, which makes the good teams great.
Much Harder draw this season, but I wouldn't expect to drop to many games at home. Anything outside the 4 I'd be disappointed.
Looking forward to see the progress of Liam Duggan and Tom Lamb, along with Elliot Yeo going to another level and to see how many goals JK can kick if he stays injury free and where they play Jeremy McGovern, who I think is an absolute star in the making, hard to believe he has only played 33 games.

Got to feel for a young lad called Damien Cavka, who we drafted last season, before a foot injury sidelined him for last season, and now been forced to retire at 19. Shattering for anyone.

C- Jetta, Priddis, Gaff
HF- Lecras, Darling, Yeo

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

I reckon Mitch Brown is immensely overrated and believe his absence last year (unfortunate though it was for him) freed the team up and gave vent to the squad's vast flexibility - with good success. So many Eagles fans get themselves into a frenzy about McGovern going into the forward line but he's a miles better defender than Brown and should stay back.

Also I'd have Mark Hutchings ahead of either Sheed or Duggan on your bench.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby helicopterking » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:55 am

westozfalcon wrote:

C- Jetta, Priddis, Gaff
HF- Lecras, Darling, Yeo

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

I reckon Mitch Brown is immensely overrated and believe his absence last year (unfortunate though it was for him) freed the team up and gave vent to the squad's vast flexibility - with good success. So many Eagles fans get themselves into a frenzy about McGovern going into the forward line but he's a miles better defender than Brown and should stay back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Brown, I thought he should have been trade bait numerous times, probably when he was worth something.
Either or, McGovern is a luxury to have at either end, and there's no reason Schofield couldn't do Browns role, like he did last year.
Duggan and Sheed , I feel, will both start before Hutchings, both have larger upside about them,but Hutchings might have a role as a run with player.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 am

I see you have 6 players in your best 22 that didnt play in the GF , who are the 6 that you have left out?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2456 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby helicopterking » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 am

daysofourlives wrote:I see you have 6 players in your best 22 that didnt play in the GF , who are the 6 that you have left out?

Rosa,Sinclair both traded, Hill,Hutchings,Ellis,Butler
helicopterking
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:00 pm

helicopterking wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I see you have 6 players in your best 22 that didnt play in the GF , who are the 6 that you have left out?

Cheers, I dont reckon Redden is in front of those 4. Injuries will dictate whether he gets a crack Rd 1 or not and Lewis Jetta would want to be putting in a good preseason to play Rd 1.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2456 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:33 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

Cheers, I dont reckon Redden is in front of those 4. Injuries will dictate whether he gets a crack Rd 1 or not and Lewis Jetta would want to be putting in a good preseason to play Rd 1.

Jetta definitely will be playing round 1 unless injured and Redden if fit is well ahead of those 4 especially Hill and Hutch.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

westozfalcon wrote:

C- Jetta, Priddis, Gaff
HF- Lecras, Darling, Yeo

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

Duggan has to play before Hutch just has too. Had a brilliant first season until injured and Sheed deserves to get first crack as well
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:38 pm

westozfalcon wrote:

C- Jetta, Priddis, Gaff
HF- Lecras, Darling, Yeo

Naitanui, Shuey, Redden

I agree with that. I think it all depends what role Gov has this year as to whether Mitch Brown plays or not.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby helicopterking » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

Mitch Brown to miss 8 weeks with a finger injury.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby MJ_23 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:58 pm

helicopterking wrote:Mitch Brown to miss 8 weeks with a finger injury.

Another bad blow for Mitch. Just can't get a run at it.

Pre season has been under whelming, A lot of niggles and under done guys coming into round 1 (Shuey, Welly, Redden, Jetta and a couple of others)

Be interesting to see how we start
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby helicopterking » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:59 am

MJ_23 wrote:

Pre season has been under whelming, A lot of niggles and under done guys coming into round 1 (Shuey, Welly, Redden, Jetta and a couple of others)

Yeah, been very cautious with a lot of players.
Masten with a broken ankle will miss the first 4-5 games aswell.
The start of the season is really challenging for us, playing some tough sides early.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby MJ_23 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:59 pm

helicopterking wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:

Yeah, been very cautious with a lot of players.
Masten with a broken ankle will miss the first 4-5 games aswell.
The start of the season is really challenging for us, playing some tough sides early.

Masten coming along really well.

He was doing a fair bit of running at training this week
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby hollywood7477 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Priddis and Bunga Hurn resigning for the club. Pridda extending the contract for another year that he signed a few weeks ago. Mustv been his 33 disposals on Sunday that got him another year.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon May 16, 2016 12:45 pm

We are exactly were I thought we would be at this point.
Our best chance this season to post a win away from home this season.
We need to win or I think the top 4 might be too far out of reach.

Why are we a different team away from Home? When we travel, don't tackle enough. You can't lay 50 tackles away from home and expect to win. Until we can lay 75+ tackles we won't have a chance to win. And to be honest, we have some seriously weak tacklers. Lecras,Masten,Hill,Jetta ,Yeo Gaff barely lay a tackle when we play away. We refuse to pass the footy inside 50 away from home and bomb long to big packs, which cripples us as the good teams just run it out with ease.
Still our weakness is Hill,Jetta and Cripps. Can only play 1 of them, because when we play good teams, these blokes don't go near it.
The guys struggling at the moment have been Redden,MacKenzie and Jetta. I think all these blokes have struggled to understand Simpsons Web. Redden,Wellingham and Masten missed a fair chunk of pre season, so I expect them to improve leading up to the break.

We are sitting well injury wise and most of the guys in the WAFL are playing good footy.
Cole, Lamb, Lucas, Partington, should be given their shot by seasons end and rewarded for consistent footy in the 2s.

Go WCE.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm

yeah the coasters have been a bit weird this year.

Reckon they have to finish top 2 as well, not just top 4, to have a crack at the flag.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby helicopterking » Mon May 16, 2016 2:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:yeah the coasters have been a bit weird this year.

Reckon they have to finish top 2 as well, not just top 4, to have a crack at the flag.

Last year we got all the tough teams at home. This year we haven't. In saying that, we don't even look close to playing any good footy away. We struggle to even look like scoring away, , where it never seems to be an issue at home.
Hopefully It's part of trying to peak at the right time and we string games together towards the end of the season.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Mon May 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Finally broke the run of outs away from home. We weren't good, we were just better then Port.
Kennedy was brilliant, Priddis, Shuey, Nic Nat and Lycett were very good.
Josh Hill was average again and Lecras was poor.
Still to many guys not tackling enough when we play away. Masten,Wellingham,McGovern,Redden,Shepprd,Gaff 0 tackles.
Put those number up against Priddis 10, Lycett 11, Shuey 7.
I understand it's not all about tackling numbers, but to have 6 guys not lay a tackle isn't good enough.

We have an 8 day break but This week against GC(who will get a few back), rest Darling. He hurt his back in a marking contest 4 weeks ago, and he pinged it in a marking contest in the 2nd quarter on the weekend. Played out the game but could barely run. He is very sore.
Priddis to me is carrying a thigh issue. He missed a game with it during the season already, but He is even more reluctant to kick the footy then he has ever been. It might be worth giving him a rest, not sure if it will be this week.
They will also rest Nic Nat at some stage.

Luckily, we have very few injuries at the moment and some guys in good form in the WAFL.
I'd expect Cole to debut this weekend, and McInnis might come in for Darling, but they may bring in Barrass and play McGovern up forward.

Before the break, Bulldogs,Adelaide,Bris. Should go to the break no,worse then 8-4.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:27 am

No real surprises about what was said on the footy show last night..

Not sure what's worse, that the powers that be at the Eagles let this happen or we got beat by a side in a GF who's number 1 sponsor was Pablo Escobar
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3064 times
Been liked: 2430 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL