Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Player movement 2017

Postby arcadefire » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Mickyj wrote:
holden78 wrote:It's starting to look like Powell might be out of his depth , even the mascot sign has gone, and Stewart couldn't get to the club quick enough on his own!
If its that hard a sell then you're not up to it cos the clubs record ain't that bad and we ain't pennyless either! FFS ;)

I maybe wrong Holden
But wasn't Powell running in that little Heros run in the USA
And didn't port Adelaide offer Stewart a job or were going to offer him a job

Seeing your bringing this up
A The two rucks that were trying out with the Eagles one over 200 cm and one from over the border
B. The large back man type could be a CHB Powell brought in .

Rather than be a negative about to extinct car manufacturer why not talk some positive stuff .
If you can't why bother

With Respect Micky it sounds like these guys are going to be filling some of the vacant spots in the reserves...we only have one ruckman at the club and he's not really tall enough...our backline will be undersized....Godden has said that Stewart will be our only recognised recruit for 2017..i think these departures caught them by surprise and didn't plan for recruiting. Sounds like they may have tried to recruit some players but not entirely convinced. The only positive i can see is that there will be a number of ordinary teams going around next year
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Mickyj » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm

arcadefire wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
holden78 wrote:It's starting to look like Powell might be out of his depth , even the mascot sign has gone, and Stewart couldn't get to the club quick enough on his own!
If its that hard a sell then you're not up to it cos the clubs record ain't that bad and we ain't pennyless either! FFS ;)

I maybe wrong Holden
But wasn't Powell running in that little Heros run in the USA
And didn't port Adelaide offer Stewart a job or were going to offer him a job

Seeing your bringing this up
A The two rucks that were trying out with the Eagles one over 200 cm and one from over the border
B. The large back man type could be a CHB Powell brought in .

Rather than be a negative about to extinct car manufacturer why not talk some positive stuff .
If you can't why bother

With Respect Micky it sounds like these guys are going to be filling some of the vacant spots in the reserves...we only have one ruckman at the club and he's not really tall enough...our backline will be undersized....Godden has said that Stewart will be our only recognised recruit for 2017..i think these departures caught them by surprise and didn't plan for recruiting. Sounds like they may have tried to recruit some players but not entirely convinced. The only positive i can see is that there will be a number of ordinary teams going around next year

You may well be correct arcade yes about Stewart
But at some time we need less negative see the positive in things .
I get what your saying but Eagles I'm told did chase players that were taken by other sanfl sides
I'm not sure they signed the exbasket baller or the ex NEAFL ruck man
Or the large back man
We won't hear until after January 9
Or the other 13 players trying out
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm

The only positive i can see is that there will be a number of ordinary teams going around next year
Lets not panick just yet and throw the baby out with the bath water
It just might be the Port v Crows grand final this year anyway, the result the SANFL obviously craves
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Some of the players that did leave told both the coaching staff and their team mates they were playing on even though other people not at the club knew better
Last edited by Brodlach on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Brodlach wrote:Some of the players that did leave told both the coaching staff and their team mates they were playing on even those other people not at the club knew better

Hmm this story sounds familiar.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Has Dylan Reinbrecht left the Bays? If so we'll have him.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Grenville wrote:Has Dylan Reinbrecht left the Bays? If so we'll have him.

Yes, he has.

http://sanfl.com.au/coming-going-2017/

GLENELG

Coming
Liam McBean (Richmond), Tom Schott (West Adelaide), Jack Casey (Kalangadoo)

Going
Ruory Kirkby (retired), Clint Alleway (retired), Craig Pitt (work), Jake Pitt (study), Willie Rioli (West Coast), Mitch Hinge (Brisbane), Liam Mackie (Collingwood), Toby Pink (Sydney), Dylan Reinbrecht, Jake Johansen, Michael Galley (work), Aisea Raikiwasa (travel/Nuriootpa), Jack Kenny (Eyre Peninsula), Jed Redden (Echunga)

I think he is playing local footy, now.

I saw him running up in Athelstone a couple of weeks ago.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm

The kid can play, good tough inside footballer. I say again, we'd have him.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Godden has surrounded himself with only Yes men/ mates, it's Ronny all over again!
Not one person at the club will/ can come up with a critical answer as to why we have
Failed badly in two consecutive GF games.
The best one heard has to be " Not good enough " which is true, but no one has a definitive answer
which is pathetic.
We lack hardness/ grunt players and if they don't recruit them we're in trouble cos you don't find many in
the Ressies these days as that comp is like the old under 17s used to be!
At the very least if a proper No. 1 Ruckman is not brought in, performance reviews need arranging asap :shock:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

To be fair to Godden, the GF against Westies was always going to be a struggle (or at least line ball) given we completely lost our starting midfield going into the game. This was just unfortunate and completely out of Godden's hands

The GF was a different situation and one I believe Godden had much control over. I thought we clearly had the best team in the competition across the 2016 season and seemed to have a lot of depth such that we could cover players who were injured or just out of form. He went into the match against Sturt with a full strength side but just floundered against the pressure applied to us by a relentless Sturt (familiar story to eagles supporters over the lats 15 years??). Godden just couldn't get the players into the right headspace then during the match stubbonly kept players in positions who were getting soundly beaten. I think it was a case of analysis paralysis.

Can't do anything about those matches though so we just have to move on. Godden has an exceptional record getting us into finals so I have faith he can do it once more. But this will be his biggest challenge and will definitely show if he is a good coach given we have lost about 5-6 regulars and will go into next season without a genuine ruck-man. A lot will depend on our juniors it seems.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:To be fair to Godden, the GF against Westies was always going to be a struggle (or at least line ball) given we completely lost our starting midfield going into the game. This was just unfortunate and completely out of Godden's hands

The GF was a different situation and one I believe Godden had much control over. I thought we clearly had the best team in the competition across the 2016 season and seemed to have a lot of depth such that we could cover players who were injured or just out of form. He went into the match against Sturt with a full strength side but just floundered against the pressure applied to us by a relentless Sturt (familiar story to eagles supporters over the lats 15 years??). Godden just couldn't get the players into the right headspace then during the match stubbonly kept players in positions who were getting soundly beaten. I think it was a case of analysis paralysis.

Can't do anything about those matches though so we just have to move on. Godden has an exceptional record getting us into finals so I have faith he can do it once more. But this will be his biggest challenge and will definitely show if he is a good coach given we have lost about 5-6 regulars and will go into next season without a genuine ruck-man. A lot will depend on our juniors it seems.

Just repeat to yourself that last part "without a genuine ruckman"
If that's correct then we are officially off with the Flying Trucking Fairies!
If you can win me over on that logic I'd be eternally grateful.......?
holden78
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Hate to bring the AFL into it but I think Western Bulldogs played most of the 2016 season without a genuine ruckman. Instead they usually played taller key position players in that role - similar to how Bornholm has been used.

Recall also that Centrals killed us in one of Grand Finals through basically conceding the ruck to Lindsay but having in place a gameplan to read the tapwork.

Point being you can win without a genuine ruckman its just that it requires appropriate tactics - this is where the Coach's gameplan is crucial
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm with you Mr Fuller. Its a team game. Its not the 80's or there-abouts where the big guy dominates. The WB are the perfect example of total football and no dominant ruck . Fremantle have the most dominant ruck and yet "0" premierships. On the day we were beaten in the GF 2 weeks after we easily beat Sturt in the semi final. A few of our big names let us down and Sturt just were the better side.

Holden78 , you need to relax. Its only early January.
Over the last 15 years we have had great SANFL ruckmen, Lindsay, O'Hara, Parry, Redden, Jacobs, Biglands to name a few and have only 2 premierships to show for it. Its our on ballers that will win it for us.
Godden will get a very competitive side together.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 am

goddy11 wrote:I'm with you Mr Fuller. Its a team game. Its not the 80's or there-abouts where the big guy dominates. The WB are the perfect example of total football and no dominant ruck . Fremantle have the most dominant ruck and yet "0" premierships. On the day we were beaten in the GF 2 weeks after we easily beat Sturt in the semi final. A few of our big names let us down and Sturt just were the better side.

Holden78 , you need to relax. Its only early January.
Over the last 15 years we have had great SANFL ruckmen, Lindsay, O'Hara, Parry, Redden, Jacobs, Biglands to name a few and have only 2 premierships to show for it. Its our on ballers that will win it for us.
Godden will get a very competitive side together.

I'm with Goddy and Mr Fuller
My mail from eagles fans who are closer to the scene than myself . It will be a smaller faster Eagles on ball unit this year .
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby RB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 am

goddy11 wrote:Over the last 15 years we have had great SANFL ruckmen, Lindsay, O'Hara, Parry, Redden, Jacobs, Biglands to name a few and have only 2 premierships to show for it.

Redden was very far from being a great SANFL ruck man (although he did play in a premiership).

Jacobs and Biglands didn't play that many games. The only season Jacobs played more than a couple of games in was 2006 when the Eagles won the flag.

Lindsay and Parry won flags (Parry BOG) and O'Hara played well in two losing GF teams and would have got flag if he'd stuck round another year.

I'd say that the Eagles' success has coincided with having top ruck men (although how Brad Dabrowski got a state game I'll never know).

Having said that I think an improved midfield would give them a good chance at the premiership in 2017.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby holden78 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 am

Yeh RB that's where the key has been for us going top but as usual too many put on the denial routine, just like the
Fuller years, and carry on with blind faith!
The fact is Bommer isn't up to the lead ruck job and yet is ok to back up then occasionally play some minutes up forward!
To come up with a counter argument is only hiding the negligence in recruiting one decent lead ruckman from any place !!!
The last 2 seasons is proof of my point as we clearly had zero issues in this area in 2016 and played the GF with 2 ruckman,
yet got there without even half of one the year before ( useless log ) but had no chance, unlike the one just gone.
holden78
League - Best 21

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 pm

holden78 wrote:Yeh RB that's where the key has been for us going top but as usual too many put on the denial routine, just like the
The fact is Bommer isn't up to the lead ruck job and yet is ok to back up then occasionally play some minutes up forward!
To come up with a counter argument is only hiding the negligence in recruiting one decent lead ruckman from any place !!!
The last 2 seasons is proof of my point as we clearly had zero issues in this area in 2016 and played the GF with 2 ruckman,
yet got there without even half of one the year before ( useless log ) but had no chance, unlike the one just gone.

So the two ruck man trying out before the club closed for Xmas new year
Are you saying that you know about them or are you just speaking generally
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Postby arcadefire » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

holden78 wrote:Yeh RB that's where the key has been for us going top but as usual too many put on the denial routine, just like the

You're right Holden...the club is dreaming if they think they can win a premiership without a genuine ruckman...its not just the rucks..there's a general lack of height all over the ground...smaller faster game???? We'd don't have many players with pace....of all the players that have left the on-baller that has been embarrassing in both GF's will still be going around in 2017
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby holden78 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:31 am

There's plenty who don't fire in GFs!
Godden & Powell do their end of season performance reviews with massive hang overs.......
No other way to explain the thinking that's taken place in the aftermath is there?
No Ruckman, CHF,Chb, and keeping Lewis who can't run unless you love Draught Horses. :evil:
I think they maybe scared to be good enough to qualify to playoff in another GF, as the lack of recruiting is criminal,
there isn't any logic to thinking the problems will solve themselves organically!
holden78
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL