Club Financials

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Club Financials

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am

Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
Brett wrote:Still need supporters and members as if you dont have those then you are gone. 3k members at an average say of $60 is 180k . I think most clubs would take that .

Centrals would be lucky to have 2,000 members.

They all left with the pied piper?

we've never had a large membership, even when we were churning out flags.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
Brett wrote:Still need supporters and members as if you dont have those then you are gone. 3k members at an average say of $60 is 180k . I think most clubs would take that .

True, unlike a few other sides, it can never be said we had 'bandwaggoners' :D
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am

bulldogproud wrote:True, unlike a few other sides, it can never be said we had 'bandwaggoners' :D

You had 4-or-5000 end-to-enders at minor round games then? :roll:

Sure you did.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Booney wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:True, unlike a few other sides, it can never be said we had 'bandwaggoners' :D

You had 4-or-5000 end-to-enders at minor round games then? :roll:

Sure you did.

Would love to know the last time we ever had 4-or-5000 end-to-enders! :)
However, our crowds at finals never really went up as much as they did for other teams. The SANFL has never been praying for finals featuring Central the same way they have for Sturt, Port, Norwood or Glenelg. We don't suddenly have a huge increase at finals time compared to minor round matches.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby JK » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Lol I know at least a few people that only went once a year to watch the Dogs - Like all clubs you had plenty of them (we did too when the good times returned). Pity the glory hunting supporters dont convert to members as much as all clubs would like.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby DOC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

JK wrote:

Lol I know at least a few people that only went once a year to watch the Dogs - Like all clubs you had plenty of them (we did too when the good times returned). Pity the glory hunting supporters dont convert to members as much as all clubs would like.

We do not have bands or wagons let alone bandwaggoners.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 pm

JK wrote:

Agreed that it would be great if all 'supporters' (even fair-weather ones) became members and actually gave the club the much needed cash injection. Yes, there would have been some 'bandwaggoners at Central but nowhere near as many as at the Big Four. When Norwood, Sturt, Glenelg and Port make finals, the SANFL rub their hands with glee knowing the attendances will shoot up markedly due to their own 'bandwagons'. South, West, North, the Eagles and Central only need a few carriages for their wagons, the big four need a huge train! :D Admittedly, I wish the trains for all clubs 'bandwaggoners' would be as big today as a few decades back!
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Brett » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Its because they have more supporters . All clubs have them but unfortunately some dont have many to draw from. I would think North have a decent following though and they certainly turned out last year . The Eagles often rant about their numbers but its a false economy .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 am

Brett wrote:Its because they have more supporters . All clubs have them but unfortunately some dont have many to draw from. I would think North have a decent following though and they certainly turned out last year . The Eagles often rant about their numbers but its a false economy .

North certainly has a decent following when they are going well. Doug Thomas always referred to the "Big 5" and included North.

In the final series last year North certainly matched Sturt for support in the First Semi Final and easily outnumbered South and the Eagles in the finals against those clubs. Even in the Grand Final the crowd seemed 50/50. And remember the Grand Final drew the biggest crowd in 20 years.

The Eagles count every junior who play in their local under age competition in their numbers. They always brag of their membership numbers and then bleated that the league wanted North in the Grand Final because of the guaranteed extra 10,000 people they would bring.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am

Brett wrote:Its because they have more supporters . All clubs have them but unfortunately some dont have many to draw from. I would think North have a decent following though and they certainly turned out last year . The Eagles often rant about their numbers but its a false economy .

Not to labour the point, but that is what I meant. During the minor round, the average number of people attending matches is only about 400 - 500 more for clubs such as the 'Big 5' than the others; however, in finals, the numbers swell by thousands more. Thus, it can be said that the 'Big 5' tend to have more 'bandwaggoners' than clubs such as South, West, Central and the Eagles. Even when the latter four clubs are successful, our numbers don't swell by anywhere near as much as the 'Big 5' do.
As for Adelaide, apparently they get 4 000 to every minor round match :oops: and don't add to this in finals, so they can't have any 'bandwaggoners' at all :) :roll:

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm

robranisgod wrote:

North certainly has a decent following when they are going well. Doug Thomas always referred to the "Big 5" and included North.

In the final series last year North certainly matched Sturt for support in the First Semi Final and easily outnumbered South and the Eagles in the finals against those clubs. Even in the Grand Final the crowd seemed 50/50. And remember the Grand Final drew the biggest crowd in 20 years.

The Eagles count every junior who play in their local under age competition in their numbers. They always brag of their membership numbers and then bleated that the league wanted North in the Grand Final because of the guaranteed extra 10,000 people they would bring.

I would say you outnumbered us RIG. It might be a little hard to estimate because North played so much better and hence your crowd had more reason to make noise, but it certainly seemd as though we were outnumbered.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Not to labour the point, but that is what I meant. During the minor round, the average number of people attending matches is only about 400 - 500 more for clubs such as the 'Big 5' than the others; however, in finals, the numbers swell by thousands more. Thus, it can be said that the 'Big 5' tend to have more 'bandwaggoners' than clubs such as South, West, Central and the Eagles. Even when the latter four clubs are successful, our numbers don't swell by anywhere near as much as the 'Big 5' do.
As for Adelaide, apparently they get 4 000 to every minor round match :oops: and don't add to this in finals, so they can't have any 'bandwaggoners' at all :) :roll:

Cheers

What's the opposite of a bandwagon? Of the 4,000 projected supporters we have seen barely 300 on a good day, if that.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whybother » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 am

"What's the opposite of a bandwagon? Of the 4,000 projected supporters we have seen barely 300 on a good day, if that."

A Ginger Meggs billycart?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:30 am

What salary cap are SANFL clubs bound by ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm

shoe boy wrote:What salary cap are SANFL clubs bound by ?
A pie a coke for each player.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby StrayDog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Fair call. The success not translating on the membership front was an ongoing frustration for the CDFC, which was hardly a secret amongst SANFL followers during those years.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby LMA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 pm

JK wrote:

Also known as the Day Release membership
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby StrayDog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 am

^^
Hehe, nice one Frank. 8)

By the way, that's an interesting avatar pose. Nothing a high fibre diet good dose of Metamucil wouldn't fix, I'm sure.

Unless you prefer a direct remedy which, ironically, are more of a predictable pain in the backside. ;)

Carry on.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby DOC » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 am

Sturt post a surplus of $683000.

Pretty impressive.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 am

DOC wrote:Sturt post a surplus of $683000.

Pretty impressive.

And this is why the SANFL want all clubs to be on the same board structures
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL