SAAFL - Promotion and Relegation

Adelaide Footy League Talk

In the top 3 divisions, should only 1 side be promoted and relegated?

1 up, 1 down - Div 1-3 only
23%
1 up, 1 down - All Divisions
8%
2 up, 2 down - As it is now
69%

Total votes : 13

SAAFL - Promotion and Relegation

Postby blublurag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Would like to get people's opinion on promotion and relegation.

Should it be changed so that only 1 side goes up and 1 side goes down for the higher Divisions?

From my perspective it would be nice to only go up if you have achieved your goal (won the flag). If you lost it, you get another crack next year. Also, you would only go down if you have had a really awful year. My Club actually got relegated from Div 2 to Div 3 one year after winning 7 games. A little harsh. Another example would be Woodville Souths promotion after coming from 4th on the ladder to lose the GF in 2004. I suspect they may have liked another year in Div 2.

Obviously, in Division 3, 2 sides would go down to allow the Div 4 finalists to come.

I have nominated Division 3 as the level to split it but that may not be the right level. I set it at this level as below Division 3 there does seem to be a greater difference in quality and promoting 2 teams would seem to be more realistic.
blublurag
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm still split on this one. I like the concept of only going up or down if you've won the premiership or wooden spoon, but that would eliminate the concept of a grand-final rematch. Like this week in Div 1 we had Gaza vs Goody Saints and Edwardstown vs Seaton Ramblers, two grand-final rematches in one round. These sorta matches always seem to have a bit of extra spice and there's nothing better for teams who lose the grand final one year, to beat the premiers next year.

So yeah, I'm not sure, still split on it.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby stan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:35 pm

At this stage i think that it works well. The best two sides go up and of course the bottom two head on down. Dont really see any need to change this.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby blublurag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:43 pm

Pag wrote:I'm still split on this one. I......concept of a grand-final rematch........still split on it.

In response to this. With the comp changing by 4 teams each year, the 'traditional rivals' type games don't seem to eventuate. No one is playing against each other for long enough to develop those rivalries. I have always looked forward to the Athelstone v Pooraka and Athelstone v Payneham games over the years, but these days they only come around every now and again. Also, becuase of the breaks between them, the playing groups of today probably don't remember the clashes of the past.

So whilst you lose the GF rematches, I think you would get more traditional rival type games.
blublurag
Under 16s

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:19 pm

True, but it may also be harder for them to eventuate. For example, Salisbury vs Salisbury West may not happen again for a long time if we go to 1 up, 1 down. With only the Div 4 premier coming up, there's only a 1 in 10 chance of them coming up, or a 1 in 10 chance of us going down. Instead of a 1 in 5 (2 in 10). So it can work both ways I suppose.

I didn't know Athelstone and Pooraka were traditional rivals either. Shows my youth at least.
Pag
Coach

Postby blublurag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Yes, take your point on this one Pag. I suppose by being in the one comp for longer (potentially), rivalries are given time to develop. For example, we certainly like knocking off Eastern Park these days.

Also, Just to clarify, my proposal suggested 1 goes up from Div 3 but 2 go down.
blublurag
Under 16s

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:14 pm

Pag wrote:True, but it may also be harder for them to eventuate. For example, Salisbury vs Salisbury West may not happen again for a long time if we go to 1 up, 1 down. With only the Div 4 premier coming up, there's only a 1 in 10 chance of them coming up, or a 1 in 10 chance of us going down. Instead of a 1 in 5 (2 in 10). So it can work both ways I suppose.

I didn't know Athelstone and Pooraka were traditional rivals either. Shows my youth at least.

All goes back to the SAFA days. This is the first year in a while where 5 safa clubs have been in the same div.... Payneham, Pooraka, Athelstone, and Flinders Park...were Walkies SAFA???
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby blublurag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Athelstone, Pooraka, Flinders Park and Payneham all played in the last year of SAFA, along with Henley, Plympton, Edwardstown, Salisbury North and Adelaide Tigers (could be considered Kaurna Eagles now). Walkerville were in SAFA but moved to SAAFL some years prior.
blublurag
Under 16s

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:21 pm

blublurag wrote:Yes, take your point on this one Pag. I suppose by being in the one comp for longer (potentially), rivalries are given time to develop. For example, we certainly like knocking off Eastern Park these days.

Also, Just to clarify, my proposal suggested 1 goes up from Div 3 but 2 go down.

Yeah, so do we. :D
Pag
Coach

Postby PhilG » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:36 am

Last edited by PhilG on Sun May 13, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:02 am

Walkies were SAFA...but were one of the first teams to leave and go back to Ammos.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:06 am

And funnily I don't really remember Athelstone and Pooraka being huge rivals either. Then again I could be wrong.
I'd probably have to read some old Football Times newspapers to remind myself.

Pooraka and Edwardstown definitely.

Elizabeth and Salisbury North were certainly strong rivals in Div 2 SAFA and then back in the CDFA.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League