Season 2014 - League discussion

Talk on the national game

Season 2014 - League discussion

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 am

I caught three of the 4 games over the weekend and noted a few things different to last season :

( In no particular order )

- The umpiring. The whistles appear to have been put away over the summer. I like it. Although the holding the ball rule appears, at least at this early stage, to have almost swung too far back the "other" way, to the point where a player has now been given plenty of time to dispose of the ball and it seems anyway he can will do. Last year we saw players allowed to "dispose" of the ball in questionable manner, this year seems to have gone to another level. Yet they still get the ones on the ground wrong. Carltons Simpson and Ports Boak had a great tussle for the ball centre wing, it didn't matter IMO who got the ball there, it wasn't holding the ball, it was one on one and one of them had to win it while the other tackled.

- Quick hands at stoppages. There has always been quick hands at the contest, but it seems this season quick movement from a stoppage has been the focus of every club as the "spread" creates more and more scoring opportunities.

- Why are loose men in defence just allowed to stay that way? How often do you see that spare man have an impact on the contest and nobody pick him up? Looks like most coaches are happy to almost play 17 vs 17 with one spare each.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Re: Season 2014 - League discussion

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

Booney wrote:I caught three of the 4 games over the weekend and noted a few things different to last season :

( In no particular order )

- The umpiring. The whistles appear to have been put away over the summer. I like it. Although the holding the ball rule appears, at least at this early stage, to have almost swung too far back the "other" way, to the point where a player has now been given plenty of time to dispose of the ball and it seems anyway he can will do. Last year we saw players allowed to "dispose" of the ball in questionable manner, this year seems to have gone to another level. Yet they still get the ones on the ground wrong. Carltons Simpson and Ports Boak had a great tussle for the ball centre wing, it didn't matter IMO who got the ball there, it wasn't holding the ball, it was one on one and one of them had to win it while the other tackled.

- Quick hands at stoppages. There has always been quick hands at the contest, but it seems this season quick movement from a stoppage has been the focus of every club as the "spread" creates more and more scoring opportunities.

- Why are loose men in defence just allowed to stay that way? How often do you see that spare man have an impact on the contest and nobody pick him up? Looks like most coaches are happy to almost play 17 vs 17 with one spare each.

Agree with all of that.

The Boak/Simpson deciscion is everything that is wrong with current AFL football imho.

Am I the only person in the country that isn't fussed if there is a ball up when a contest becomes a stale mate, rather than a miscellaneous free kick just to keep the game moving.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

whufc wrote:Am I the only person in the country that isn't fussed if there is a ball up when a contest becomes a stale mate, rather than a miscellaneous free kick just to keep the game moving.

Most definitely not mate.

I like the game to move, but if there is a genuine 1 on 1, such as Boak v Simpson, and it ends the way this particular contest did, then ball it up imo.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

The ball up is to keep the game moving. Eliminate Rugby Union from the game please refs...I mean umpires.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:The ball up is to keep the game moving. Eliminate Rugby Union from the game please refs...I mean umpires.

regards,

REB

Agree but there seems to be the perception that the more ball ups in a game the less entertaining a game is. Personally I think a tough hard slog which finishes 11 goals to 9 can be just as entertaining if not more than a game that finishes 21 goals to 16 goals
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I'd prefer rugby union to a game which stops after every tackle like League any day.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'd prefer rugby union to a game which stops after every tackle like League any day.

Pfft. If you want to hear endless whistles go to the Carnivale at Rio. :)

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Board index   Football  AFL