Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

This is the same bloke who only 2 months ago overdosed on prescription medicine, which led to him spending 6 weeks in Psychiatric care. We were urged by his family amongst others to give them privacy, leave him alone.
Now he's suddenly back in the public eye, writing a regular article for the Herald Sun - leaving himself open to scrutiny & criticism. Is this good for his ongoing rehabilitation?
There's something seriously wrong with this situation - I find it hard to believe many with mental illness will draw inspiration or seek help because Hird's "baring his soul" again, this time in print.
Whilst I genuinely feel for his family and to a degree Hird himself, I can't help but think after reading his article and pushing all the Essendon "lifers" & "year of the comeback" fluff aside - that he still comes across as a major narcissist.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5525 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Broke out all time membership record today and are sitting on nearly 62,000. Think we are a real chance to push towards 70k and most importantly we have nearly sold our full quota of top $ memberships
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Just over 65,000 members now and have today announced that Fujitsu has signed on for another 5 years at $2.5m a season
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:Just over 65,000 members now and have today announced that Fujitsu has signed on for another 5 years at $2.5m a season

Dont get too comfy with that 2.5mil. You might just be buying a tattooed bogan soon.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Just over 65,000 members now and have today announced that Fujitsu has signed on for another 5 years at $2.5m a season

Dont get too comfy with that 2.5mil. You might just be buying a tattooed bogan soon.

He will stay at Richmond but we are definitely having a crack.
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:28 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:

He will stay at Richmond but we are definitely having a crack.

I reckon he will go home to Sydney

;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Bombers to play the Crows in India pre season. Essendon are looking to play 1 regular season game a year there from 2020 apparently
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Might be the only way the Crows can get some quick outside runs
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:Bombers to play the Crows in India pre season. Essendon are looking to play 1 regular season game a year there from 2020 apparently

Lol and you guys were worried about china and the health concerns.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Jack » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Jim05 wrote:Yes we have been playing some decent footy at times but there is absolutely no excuse for coughing up a 19 point lead with 4 minutes to go. Even Worsfold said we blew it and weren't mentally tough enough in the closing minutes. We had atleast a dozen chances to run the clock down and ice the game but instead folded like a pack of cards. A very Richmond like choke, Goddard should be dropped for that woeful bit of play near the end. We ain't going nowhere until we fix up what is close to the worst midfield in the comp, like treacle through there and someone like Kelly or Hopper should be our number 1 target. Also time for some tough love, Jobe shouldn't be getting a game and there is no room for sentiments. We are still a chance for finals but need to start getting games into the kids.

Yep, get all that, but there's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I didn't think our midfield looked treacle-like at Etihad v Port? Agree that we are nowhere near the finished article and could definitely add some talent after the season if it's available. I'm not sure where Woosha said we weren't mentally tough enough? As for sentiments, that is something I feared may hold us back, as far as list management and selection decisions go, with those in the "34" getting shown some (understandable) favouritism. But, to this date, I don't think it has. Pretty much all our returnees have hit the ground running (except for Jobe, who after a slow start is definitely starting to show his best).

What we are doing that makes me so proud right now, is playing a brand of footy that people want to watch. The brand of footy that made me an Essendon supporter to begin with, way back in the early 90's under Sheeds. I am confident that we will become the finished article, far sooner than I had envisaged.
And yes, Goddard! What was he thinking!!!! :oops:
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:34 pm

The Jack wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Yes we have been playing some decent footy at times but there is absolutely no excuse for coughing up a 19 point lead with 4 minutes to go. Even Worsfold said we blew it and weren't mentally tough enough in the closing minutes. We had atleast a dozen chances to run the clock down and ice the game but instead folded like a pack of cards. A very Richmond like choke, Goddard should be dropped for that woeful bit of play near the end. We ain't going nowhere until we fix up what is close to the worst midfield in the comp, like treacle through there and someone like Kelly or Hopper should be our number 1 target. Also time for some tough love, Jobe shouldn't be getting a game and there is no room for sentiments. We are still a chance for finals but need to start getting games into the kids.

Yep, get all that, but there's no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I didn't think our midfield looked treacle-like at Etihad v Port? Agree that we are nowhere near the finished article and could definitely add some talent after the season if it's available. I'm not sure where Woosha said we weren't mentally tough enough? As for sentiments, that is something I feared may hold us back, as far as list management and selection decisions go, with those in the "34" getting shown some (understandable) favouritism. But, to this date, I don't think it has. Pretty much all our returnees have hit the ground running (except for Jobe, who after a slow start is definitely starting to show his best).

What we are doing that makes me so proud right now, is playing a brand of footy that people want to watch. The brand of footy that made me an Essendon supporter to begin with, way back in the early 90's under Sheeds. I am confident that we will become the finished article, far sooner than I had envisaged.
And yes, Goddard! What was he thinking!!!! :oops:

The Port game was one of the few where we have had more I50's than the opposition. Our forward line is clicking and our defense is holding up well but we are being let down by our mids. Jobe is almost cooked and whilst he is still doing a job he shouldn't be guaranteed a start every week just because of who he is. We are definitely a lot better to watch but we need to be winning games like the ones against Sydney and Richmond if we want to be serious. Plenty of cap room we need to be targeting mids in the offseason and hopefully have a more serious crack next year. The next couple of years could be exciting with the right recruitment and drafting
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm

I reckon Heppel has been a massive disappointment this year. I dont think he is Captain material at all, just doesnt lead from the front and lift the players with him
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Joe Daniher signs on for 3 more years
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:08 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I reckon Heppel has been a massive disappointment this year. I dont think he is Captain material at all, just doesnt lead from the front and lift the players with him

Have to agree. He is struggling for form which isn't helping but for me he is far too nice
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Lose to Brisbane. Hang shit on Collingwood. :lol:

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Darcy Parish re-signs for 2 more years
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am

Jobe Watson set to retire later today.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 am

Booney wrote:Jobe Watson set to retire later today.

Yep, harsh reality is he probably shouldn't of come back he was clearly emotionally and physically spent. I've been calling for him to be dropped for months but the club are too scared to make the tough call
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 am

James Kelly retiring at seasons end. Has been fantastic for us not only as a player but off field aswell. Has taken McGrath under his wing and his experience has been invaluable.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:02 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I reckon Heppel has been a massive disappointment this year. I dont think he is Captain material at all, just doesnt lead from the front and lift the players with him

At least you weren't stupid enough to pick him for SuperCoach. Never seems to win a contested ball.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL