Rumour re Media Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Dangerous, it might encourage the 4000 Crows supporters to stay at home and listen on the radio instead.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 44021
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1034 times
Been liked: 2441 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Magellan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Wedgie wrote:Dangerous, it might encourage the 4000 Crows supporters to stay at home and listen on the radio instead.

You can't blame them, though. I mean, the radio's a godsend. It allows you to adjust the volume in case things get too loud.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Magellan
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 1032 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm

How many crows supporters at the Parade today?
My guess about 50 plus their team and entourage!
VALE PARK
Under 18s
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 54 times
Grassroots Team: Rostrevor OC

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

VALE PARK wrote:How many crows supporters at the Parade today?
My guess about 50 plus their team and entourage!

Overselling it there.
Counted about 12 nimrods in their cheer "but not too loudly" squad and maybe another 10-20 scattered around the ground. The only noise after a Carnts goal was some booing and abusive words
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 39005
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1027 times
Been liked: 2225 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Jim05 wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:How many crows supporters at the Parade today?
My guess about 50 plus their team and entourage!

Overselling it there.
Counted about 12 nimrods in their cheer "but not too loudly" squad and maybe another 10-20 scattered around the ground. The only noise after a Carnts goal was some booing and abusive words

More to the point, how did the Redlegs CS go tin bashing without spilling their latte's ;)
johntheclaret
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:39 am
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 pm

PhilH wrote:Pleased to announce that the SANFL Macca's League will be back on 1079 Life FM next month .... for one game only.

It will be Sunday August 20th as part of the Eagles Community Carnival Day @ Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval, Woodville when the Eagles host the Adelaide Crows,

1079 Life FM will be continuing their long standing support of the event with an live outside broadcast from the hill during the pre-game carnival festivities.

Then from 2pm Doug Oakley & John Nankivell will broadcast the Crows v Eagles match liive around the world, simulcast with the SANFL Digital Pass.
It's all part of a huge local footy event and community celebration with weather permitting, one of the biggest crowds of the SANFL Macca's League season.

Stay tuned for further info.


Good effort Phil. Now can you use your influence on them for next season
johntheclaret
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:39 am
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 am

Bordertown game confirmed?
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 37691
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 975 times
Been liked: 1636 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 am

The app wasn't working again yesterday. Running it through the website worked.

Marks says "the player" "a player" far, far too often.
PAFC. Forever.
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 43189
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4008 times
Been liked: 6809 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby JK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am

Booney wrote:The app wasn't working again yesterday. Running it through the website worked.

Marks says "the player" "a player" far, far too often.


Yep, many of the commentators are guilty of the same.

The Digitalpass worked perfectly yesterday and Big Phil's call of the Legs v Cows was excellent.
FUSC
User avatar
JK
Coach
 
 
Posts: 34003
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 am
Location: Coopers Hill
Has liked: 2619 times
Been liked: 1979 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:The app wasn't working again yesterday. Running it through the website worked.

Marks says "the player" "a player" far, far too often.


Yep, many of the commentators are guilty of the same.

The Digitalpass worked perfectly yesterday and Big Phil's call of the Legs v Cows was excellent.


Big Phil knows his players better than most, does a great job.

No disrespect to Andrew Marks, but what the hell is he calling games for, he was horrid. Don't blame him as obviously never done it before, but surely there are better options around. Seemed to know none of the players as mentioned above.
Eagles2014
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 145 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:Bordertown game confirmed?

At this stage, as far as I know, it will be broadcast on the Digital Pass and SANFL Radio, yes.
User avatar
Big Phil
Coach
 
Posts: 19798
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:The app wasn't working again yesterday. Running it through the website worked.

Marks says "the player" "a player" far, far too often.


Yep, many of the commentators are guilty of the same.

The Digitalpass worked perfectly yesterday and Big Phil's call of the Legs v Cows was excellent.


Big Phil knows his players better than most, does a great job.


Thanks guys, appreciate that.

The number one thing I always take pride in, and work diligently on, is my player identification.

It was a great game of footy to call JK and I enjoyed working with Michael Maney for the first time in a while.
User avatar
Big Phil
Coach
 
Posts: 19798
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Big Phil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Looks like the issue with the SANFL Radio App cutting out when your phone goes into sleep mode has been fixed up.
User avatar
Big Phil
Coach
 
Posts: 19798
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 161 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Pistol Pete » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 am

Big Phil wrote:Looks like the issue with the SANFL Radio App cutting out when your phone goes into sleep mode has been fixed up.
The app builder forgetting about the sleel mode and auto power saving?

If so wouldnt be the first app to get caught out by this.
Pistol Pete
Member
 
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: Home
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 am

Big Phil wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate that.

The number one thing I always take pride in, and work diligently on, is my player identification.

It was a great game of footy to call JK and I enjoyed working with Michael Maney for the first time in a while.


You and CK are the standouts there and I wonder if it's a reflection of the time you put into it compared to those aligned with club duties who are focused week to week on their club based tasks.
PAFC. Forever.
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 43189
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4008 times
Been liked: 6809 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm

I imagine it would be pretty hard to not only know the players, but to recall their names in time to say it as part of a description of the play, meanwhile actually trying to give a description of play.
Is there a set method for practicing this skill? Like, would you have a deck of flashcards with player numbers on them and need to say the corresponding player's name within a second as they are dealt out?
I reckon it would be pretty funny hearing an unpracticed caller, provided it was a game I had no interest in. I am sure I would do a shocking job of it myself.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
User avatar
therisingblues
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Fukuoka
Has liked: 352 times
Been liked: 486 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby PhilH » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Yes getting from brain to mouth, in understandable english, at times can be a challenge.

Sometimes mouth is on auto as you are thinking of next point and something weird comes out.

Found this doing some ice hockey games late last year

Kept on saying "field" and "ball" without knowing I was saying it instead of "rink" and "puck"



There are actually 2 different things you need to have set in your mind.


1) Memorize numbers

Once teams announced Thursday I usually break the 23 into their groups of 10

ie all players 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 60-69 for Crows etc then work through each group until entire 23 is done.

First few rounds are always a challenge but if you have called a team once learning 4-6 new numbers per side is a lot easier than 10-12

For me I always ensure if nothing else the number are memorized before each game. Sometimes someone else gives me a flash test, especially before a big game or one where the teams / players are new.

At ground will usually read down the Budget order with names covered over for a final run through just before air time

Often when team runs out (broadcast permitting) I will have another look just so head is in right space, plus I often call in my own head early in game when other commentator has call for first 5-10 mins until I feel I am in the groove needed.


2) ID a player without a number

I was spoilt starting my announcing career doing Gridiron, numbers everywhere, cant miss. SANFL not so lucky.

Guys like Phil Aspinall, John Nankivell, Chris Kendall and Don Cooper are awesome at this, I need a bit of help at times.

Always looking for something that makes them stand out ... ie hair style, boot colours, long sleeves, taping etc

3/4 time of Reserves is usually a good chance to get some idea especially for teams that have training jumpers with numbers on the back.

Then as above re watching pregame.


This all before we get to any research on backgrounds, stats etc ....
User avatar
PhilH
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:04 am
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm

It's definitely a tough gig and I take my hat off to anyone who can call a game and get player ID correct in the heat of the moment. One stuff up stands out for me was some years back I was at a Port v South game at Noarlunga, and one commentator called "ah Chee" as "Poulton" about 4 times. I failed to see the resemblance
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
User avatar
RustyCage
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has liked: 1162 times
Been liked: 840 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

PhilH wrote:Yes getting from brain to mouth, in understandable english, at times can be a challenge.

Sometimes mouth is on auto as you are thinking of next point and something weird comes out.

Found this doing some ice hockey games late last year

Kept on saying "field" and "ball" without knowing I was saying it instead of "rink" and "puck"



There are actually 2 different things you need to have set in your mind.


1) Memorize numbers

Once teams announced Thursday I usually break the 23 into their groups of 10

ie all players 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 60-69 for Crows etc then work through each group until entire 23 is done.

First few rounds are always a challenge but if you have called a team once learning 4-6 new numbers per side is a lot easier than 10-12

For me I always ensure if nothing else the number are memorized before each game. Sometimes someone else gives me a flash test, especially before a big game or one where the teams / players are new.

At ground will usually read down the Budget order with names covered over for a final run through just before air time

Often when team runs out (broadcast permitting) I will have another look just so head is in right space, plus I often call in my own head early in game when other commentator has call for first 5-10 mins until I feel I am in the groove needed.


2) ID a player without a number

I was spoilt starting my announcing career doing Gridiron, numbers everywhere, cant miss. SANFL not so lucky.

Guys like Phil Aspinall, John Nankivell, Chris Kendall and Don Cooper are awesome at this, I need a bit of help at times.

Always looking for something that makes them stand out ... ie hair style, boot colours, long sleeves, taping etc

3/4 time of Reserves is usually a good chance to get some idea especially for teams that have training jumpers with numbers on the back.

Then as above re watching pregame.


This all before we get to any research on backgrounds, stats etc ....


Good post Phil
And glad you mention JN too. Awesome commentator and knows his SANFL
johntheclaret
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:39 am
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Really good post to read. Thanks, BP.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 29320
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am
Location: The Bronx
Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests