2020 Predictions

Talk on the national game

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:30 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?


Reckon Melbourne are in a similar boat. They had a better list than their finishing position last season suggested, but have they found that avenue to goal yet? Goodwin needs to go real close to making finals you'd think.


Goodwin is contracted until the end of 2022 after Melbourne jumped and gave him a 3 year extension in March 2019.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 46521
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4613 times
Been liked: 7645 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?

A fit Hannebery will be very important.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
User avatar
PatowalongaPirate
Veteran
 
 
Posts: 3775
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am
Location: Tiger Land
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 863 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:02 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?

A fit Hannebery will be very important.


Agreed, adds to their depth.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 46521
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4613 times
Been liked: 7645 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby laser » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
laser wrote:Where will your mob finish and why?
5th


4. Port Adelaide

Isn't your mob Port?


Yeah. My top eight was to the end of the minor round. I used the predictor thingummy to provide the teams in order, an obvious bias towards Port! Where do you see the Cats ending up?
laser
Under 16s
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:54 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:59 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?


Reckon Melbourne are in a similar boat. They had a better list than their finishing position last season suggested, but have they found that avenue to goal yet? Goodwin needs to go real close to making finals you'd think.


Goodwin is contracted until the end of 2022 after Melbourne jumped and gave him a 3 year extension in March 2019.


is melbournes list that good. Did they play above themselves and came back to the pack once they traded Hogan and had no fwd line. Giving up the kitchen sink to get a player with ill discipline in May who rolled up to a new club on good $$$$$$ overweight. Giving Goodwin an extension was it a correct choice. is he any good can he actually coach.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:38 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?


Reckon Melbourne are in a similar boat. They had a better list than their finishing position last season suggested, but have they found that avenue to goal yet? Goodwin needs to go real close to making finals you'd think.


Goodwin is contracted until the end of 2022 after Melbourne jumped and gave him a 3 year extension in March 2019.


is melbournes list that good. Did they play above themselves and came back to the pack once they traded Hogan and had no fwd line. Giving up the kitchen sink to get a player with ill discipline in May who rolled up to a new club on good $$$$$$ overweight. Giving Goodwin an extension was it a correct choice. is he any good can he actually coach.


No, yes, no, no, no
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach
 
 
Posts: 9273
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Has liked: 1769 times
Been liked: 1305 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby JK » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:55 am

Structurally, Hogan was a massive loss for the Dee's. Personally I reckon they might have played a bit above themselves in 2018 - Still got some decent players though, so could go either way*, but best I could see them doing is finals and no more than 1 win. The flipside is they could be as low as bottom 4 again - Such a tough mob to pick (not that many are easy this time of year).
FUSC
User avatar
JK
Coach
 
 
Posts: 35036
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:11 am
Location: Coopers Hill
Has liked: 3071 times
Been liked: 2212 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Corona Man » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:Ok chaps :

Where will your mob finish and why?

Your top 8.

Your Grand finalists.

Who will rise up the ladder most?

Who will drop down the ladder most?


Hawks - 6-9th - Mitchell back in is huge. Forward line developing still.

Richmond
West Coast
Collingwood
Geelong
Western Dogs
GWS
Brisbane
Hawthorn

Dogs on the improve - Swans to nosedive


Update, the Dogs are fraudsters. The Dees to bounce back.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
User avatar
Corona Man
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8855
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Near the Beer Fridge
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 2331 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:37 pm

Where will your mob finish and why?
10th
The game has passed Scott by and Geelong has erred in not moving on decorated veterans Taylor and Ablett. The Cats will still win most at home and be a contender for the eight for most of the year but we will start to drop the odd match at home and pick up less away wins as well. From the evidence of how we move the ball from the second half of last year to this year it's obvious Scott is too pigheaded to realise his 2011 gameplan no longer stacks up. As he overlooks the obvious to become the master coach he is wasting a list that was 21 points up in the Prelim last year. We are just horrible to watch at the moment and the sooner Scott leaves the better.

Your top 8.
1. Richmond
2. GWS
3. West Coast
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Brisbane
6. Port
7. Melbourne
8. Collingwood

Your Grand finalists.
GWS v W Bulldogs

Who will rise up the ladder most?
Melbourne

Who will drop down the ladder most?
Adelaide

regards,

REB
We ARE the Danger!
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 26223
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Booney wrote:I reckon there's two sides that are hard to read going into the season, Geelong and St Kilda, for varying reasons, obviously.

The Cats will win their fair share at home but will the ageing legs of Dangerfield, Selwood, Taylor, Ablett, Steven, Hawkins and Jenkins have the run to carry them deep into finals? 16-6 last year, will they again be a top 4 candidate?

St Kilda have been on a spending spree and Hill, Jones, Butler, Howard and Ryder immediately make them a better side. Ratten taking the reigns on his own will be important, can they go from 9 wins to 12 or 13 and challenge for the 8?



Both teams fall short i reckon. Saints not quite ready and the Cats are cooked.

regards,

REB
We ARE the Danger!
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 26223
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Little Gaz looked horribly slow & reactive at times yesterday.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11429
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 3177 times
Been liked: 3353 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Spargo wrote:Little Gaz looked horribly slow & reactive at times yesterday.


He's either done, or underdone if you follow. Looked quite big in the legs. Last year he started well and we ran him into the ground. Hopefully this year it's a case of easing him in rather than one year too many.

regards,

REB
We ARE the Danger!
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 26223
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Spargo wrote:Little Gaz looked horribly slow & reactive at times yesterday.


He's either done, or underdone if you follow. Looked quite big in the legs. Last year he started well and we ran him into the ground. Hopefully this year it's a case of easing him in rather than one year too many.

regards,

REB


Surely he’s best suited to half forward flank/pocket. What you lose in his quickness of pressuring /chasing/tackling you even out with his marking strength one on one & clever goal sense. Like you said, managing him right is the key.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11429
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 3177 times
Been liked: 3353 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:13 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Where will your mob finish and why?
10th
The game has passed Scott by and Geelong has erred in not moving on decorated veterans Taylor and Ablett. The Cats will still win most at home and be a contender for the eight for most of the year but we will start to drop the odd match at home and pick up less away wins as well. From the evidence of how we move the ball from the second half of last year to this year it's obvious Scott is too pigheaded to realise his 2011 gameplan no longer stacks up. As he overlooks the obvious to become the master coach he is wasting a list that was 21 points up in the Prelim last year. We are just horrible to watch at the moment and the sooner Scott leaves the better.

Your top 8.
1. Richmond
2. GWS
3. West Coast
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Brisbane
6. Port
7. Melbourne
8. Collingwood

Your Grand finalists.
GWS v W Bulldogs

Who will rise up the ladder most?
Melbourne

Who will drop down the ladder most?
Adelaide

regards,

REB


Wait.....Wont a 10th finish mean you will drop further down the ladder than Adelaide? 1st to 10th, even if Crows finish last they wont fall as far as that.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach
 
 
Posts: 9273
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Has liked: 1769 times
Been liked: 1305 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Re: 2020 Predictions

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:13 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Where will your mob finish and why?
10th
The game has passed Scott by and Geelong has erred in not moving on decorated veterans Taylor and Ablett. The Cats will still win most at home and be a contender for the eight for most of the year but we will start to drop the odd match at home and pick up less away wins as well. From the evidence of how we move the ball from the second half of last year to this year it's obvious Scott is too pigheaded to realise his 2011 gameplan no longer stacks up. As he overlooks the obvious to become the master coach he is wasting a list that was 21 points up in the Prelim last year. We are just horrible to watch at the moment and the sooner Scott leaves the better.

Your top 8.
1. Richmond
2. GWS
3. West Coast
4. Western Bulldogs
5. Brisbane
6. Port
7. Melbourne
8. Collingwood

Your Grand finalists.
GWS v W Bulldogs

Who will rise up the ladder most?
Melbourne

Who will drop down the ladder most?
Adelaide

regards,

REB


Wait.....Wont a 10th finish mean you will drop further down the ladder than Adelaide? 1st to 10th, even if Crows finish last they wont fall as far as that.


Um yeah, good point lol. Maths obviously not a strength. :D

Regards,

REB
We ARE the Danger!
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 26223
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests