AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Corona Man » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:04 am

LMA wrote:Was a good spectacle to watch as skills were generally top notch. No team structures/defence contributed to this which you wouldn't see in a normal game these days. Keep it as a charitable event every 3-4 years so it keeps its appeal.

Agree on the skills, but as far as passion and giving a flying **** who actually wins it’s not state of origin footy. Another compromised offering from Gill and crew at the AFL.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
User avatar
Corona Man
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8795
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Near the Beer Fridge
Has liked: 848 times
Been liked: 2324 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby helicopterking » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:13 am

The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.
User avatar
helicopterking
Coach
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:46 am

Corona Man wrote:
LMA wrote:Was a good spectacle to watch as skills were generally top notch. No team structures/defence contributed to this which you wouldn't see in a normal game these days. Keep it as a charitable event every 3-4 years so it keeps its appeal.

Agree on the skills, but as far as passion and giving a flying **** who actually wins it’s not state of origin footy. Another compromised offering from Gill and crew at the AFL.


Yeah when there is only one side who can feel that state pride there's no point in calling it something it ain't. Unfortunately with probably 50% of draftees coming out of the TAC Cup a true SOO would be too lopsided these days. Was trying to think last night who, for SA, are genuine A graders for their positions and only come up with Grundy, Neale, Hurn and Laird.
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 583 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:05 am

helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


That makes very little sense
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 453 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Corona Man » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:18 am

LMA wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
LMA wrote:Was a good spectacle to watch as skills were generally top notch. No team structures/defence contributed to this which you wouldn't see in a normal game these days. Keep it as a charitable event every 3-4 years so it keeps its appeal.

Agree on the skills, but as far as passion and giving a flying **** who actually wins it’s not state of origin footy. Another compromised offering from Gill and crew at the AFL.


Yeah when there is only one side who can feel that state pride there's no point in calling it something it ain't. Unfortunately with probably 50% of draftees coming out of the TAC Cup a true SOO would be too lopsided these days. Was trying to think last night who, for SA, are genuine A graders for their positions and only come up with Grundy, Neale, Hurn and Laird.

If the AFL are going to bring back SOO then do it properly. Vic v SA, then Vic v WA play it every 2 years for whatever is the most deserving charity at the time. So Vics play every other year, SA & WA every 4 years. That way a player from SA or WA may only get 1, maybe 2 opportunities in their career to play SOO.... they’d jump at it!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
User avatar
Corona Man
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8795
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Near the Beer Fridge
Has liked: 848 times
Been liked: 2324 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Booney » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am

Dangerfield trolling Walker with the Power stance is top notch trolling. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 46375
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4580 times
Been liked: 7622 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby helicopterking » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:49 am

Booney wrote:Dangerfield trolling Walker with the Power stance is top notch trolling. :lol:


How did Dangerfield stand in all the GF he’s played in?
User avatar
helicopterking
Coach
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am

gadj1976 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


That makes very little sense


Makes perfect sense
You of people should understand how teams with very average players rely on defensive structures to prevent having their lack of skills exposed and blown out the water by the good teams
Who's our BITCH
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
daysofourlives
Coach
 
 
Posts: 9256
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Has liked: 1759 times
Been liked: 1299 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Booney wrote:Dangerfield trolling Walker with the Power stance is top notch trolling. :lol:


Get the feeling Danger is a bloke that likes a chirp but isn't quite so keen when he cops a bit himself. He got more than a little salty when Hodge took the piss and asked him when he was going to pull his finger out during the match.

regards,

REB
We ARE the Danger!
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 26223
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:Dangerfield trolling Walker with the Power stance is top notch trolling. :lol:


Get the feeling Danger is a bloke that likes a chirp but isn't quite so keen when he cops a bit himself. He got more than a little salty when Hodge took the piss and asked him when he was going to pull his finger out during the match.

regards,

REB


Or the look on his face when all his Geelong teammates were getting interviewed before him. I see that look every night when I give my eldest dog a smacko before the 2yo pup.
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 583 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Spargo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


That makes very little sense


It’s a dumb post, regardless of the fact North were named.
Calling teams irrelevant is simply narrow minded.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11386
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 3156 times
Been liked: 3341 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:11 pm

Spargo wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


That makes very little sense


It’s a dumb post, regardless of the fact North were named.
Calling teams irrelevant is simply narrow minded.
I wouldn’t use the term irrelevant but there is definitely 4-6 teams too many in the comp but because of the TV rights nothing will change and it may even expand more. The talent is already stretched far too thin across the comp
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 40971
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1084 times
Been liked: 2559 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Spargo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


That makes very little sense


It’s a dumb post, regardless of the fact North were named.
Calling teams irrelevant is simply narrow minded.
I wouldn’t use the term irrelevant but there is definitely 4-6 teams too many in the comp but because of the TV rights nothing will change and it may even expand more. The talent is already stretched far too thin across the comp

People were saying this 20 years ago yet more & more teams were added.
And you’re right, they’re not getting rid of any teams. I reckon it’ll be a 20 team comp within 10 years.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11386
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 3156 times
Been liked: 3341 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Tassie and who? Couldn't see NT having a side.
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 583 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:51 pm

LMA wrote:Tassie and who? Couldn't see NT having a side.
Already in talks for WA3.
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 40971
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1084 times
Been liked: 2559 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Jim05 wrote:
LMA wrote:Tassie and who? Couldn't see NT having a side.
Already in talks for WA3.


Out of the WAFL or a new club? Norwood and Sturt could finally merge ;)
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5703
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 583 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby helicopterking » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.[/quote]

That makes very little sense[/quote]

It’s a dumb post, regardless of the fact North were named.
Calling teams irrelevant is simply narrow minded.[/quote]I wouldn’t use the term irrelevant but there is definitely 4-6 teams too many in the comp but because of the TV rights nothing will change and it may even expand more. The talent is already stretched far too thin across the comp[/quote]
People were saying this 20 years ago yet more & more teams were added.
And you’re right, they’re not getting rid of any teams. I reckon it’ll be a 20 team comp within 10 years.[/quote]

12 team Comp, play everyone Twice. No Pre season.
Talent isn’t spread as wide.
Better comp, better players, more Aggresive ball movement ,less Defensive structures needed=less coaches
Makes perfect sense.
User avatar
helicopterking
Coach
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:00 pm

helicopterking wrote:The game with good players relies less on defensive structures to accomodate average players.
Get rid of irrelevant franchises like Fremantle, Nth Melb, St Kilda, GWS, Port Ade, GC and the talent pool wouldn’t be spread as wide, meaning less coached structures and more skills.


Mr. Helicopter , what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
User avatar
woodublieve12
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15920
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm
Has liked: 2750 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:14 pm

LMA wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
LMA wrote:Tassie and who? Couldn't see NT having a side.
Already in talks for WA3.


Out of the WAFL or a new club? Norwood and Sturt could finally merge ;)
New club
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 40971
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1084 times
Been liked: 2559 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: AFL Bushfire Fundraiser - Vic vs The Rest

Postby Kahuna » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:51 am

LMA wrote:Tassie and who? Couldn't see NT having a side.


Combined Crows and Port reserves :D
Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 104 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests