Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Is ScoMo doing another presser tonighy?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:In breaking news, we are moving to online teaching from Wednesday next week and asking students to stay at home unless they cannot have their child adequately cared for otherwise.

Certainly hope this doesn't enable parents to leave the kids with grandparents.

THIS ^^^^^^ is one of the reasons why they dont want to shut schools.

My in-laws are in their 80's and, being part of the Silent Generation, they don't understand the fuss and aren't taking all precautions.
My FIL is as tough as an old boot and strong as an ox. He's an ex-Nasho and rowed until he was 75. He still uses 10kg dumbbells every morning. He just looks at me if I tell him to look after himself. I regularly get home to find him on the roof fixing something or up a tree.
MIL is not as fit but is still healthy as. The problem is these people have that English attitude to threats because they've been through wars and everything. Their biggest problem is dealing with mobile phones. Coronavirus? Pffft!

They're the people I worry about with this.

I'm lucky my kids are old enough and dont have kids themselves to worry about but I do understand the problem

I agree if parents were to drop kids off during the day and pick them up and night just so two professional parents with plenty of dosh and a Toorak Tractor can keep working.
However, there are plenty of situations with different angles to them
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:26 pm

Prince Charles has tested positive for Coronavirus
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pseudo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:Prince Charles has tested positive for Coronavirus

One is not amused.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Oaksnaf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:18 pm

On the school coronavirus issue: here is my long winded personal opinion.

Students primarily are given an education so post completion of the education they are better equipped in many skills; socially, academically and of the sporting nature. Of course health, safety, relationships, confidence and independence education goes along with that. And school can be a safe haven for many. But the objective is to use those skills to be a better person and to partake in future employment across all industries.

If there is no employment available. Your skills and education is wasted. Fair enough some will waste it anyway. But for those who have spent the past few years working towards getting high grades so they can become a pilot for example have just been dealt a crushing blow. Potentially a waste of education effort. A few weeks at home for a Year 10 student is an insignificant comparison to those who have spent the best part of 3 years getting a degree at University that may never eventuate into employment in the short-term. I do not buy into the reasoning of losing a years worth of education is a reason to send your kids to school. They need to fix the employment situation first and foremost.

I do believe schools should stay open on the basis of reducing the burden on working families. I do believe like many industries around that practicing social distancing and good hygiene is achievable and workable. One of my daughters came home from child care yesterday with a fancy new hand-washing technique. Fantastic !

I do not believe teachers should be placed under pressure to continue the current curriculum in its full. It is not reasonable to place such stress on an already stretched system that will potentially develop anxiety/stress levels beyond control for some teachers. Teachers should be allowed to continue a level of teaching that is not a burden to their own lives or to the students + students family. Reduce the number of subjects taught and spend longer on those that are more important. I would have 4 subjects taught max. English/Math/Science + One subject chosen by the student.

For those wanting to introduce online learning. Fantastic. But it should be introduced slowly, not in full curriculum mode. You cannot place such stress on a system so quickly.

Regarding the spreading of the virus. If they go into lockdown they will close the schools anyway.
If we don't go into lockdown we have to trust the schools/students on their ability to practice the self distancing + hygiene that workplaces do. There are many ways to implement this.

Overall I am happy for schools to operate on a limited education basis with more attention paid towards core subjects + self distancing + hygiene. I am unhappy that the premise of schools remaining open is for loss of education. I am unhappy for schools to go online and expect full curriculum to proceed in such short time frame. In full lockdown I am happy for schools to close.

ENDS (Useless opinion that is exerted via a keyboard to fulfill ones need to express own opinion and thus engage in thought provoking debate, haha)
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 291 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Elephant in the room.....
Are we killing the body to save the soul?
When do we get the point where the cure is worse than the problem?
The resultant unemployment rate is a clear indication of what will happen if we shut down fossil fuel power

Can’t wait for the Gen Mel response to this!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby LMA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Sorry mate this thread can only handle a maximum of one, 100 plus words per post, posters ;)

Now say that 10 times really fast.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Oaksnaf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 pm

LMA wrote:Sorry mate this thread can only handle a maximum of one, 100 plus words per post, posters ;)

Now say that 10 times really fast.

I laughed at the first line as I know I wrote a ridiculously long opinion, hence the warning. I did enjoy putting thoughts onto the keyboard though.
But the second line, really...... ? Really...... Ah well. At least half the post gave me a laugh. Night.
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 291 times

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 am

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
This is what concerned me and why I posted a lot - to try to get people to realise how serious the school situation was. Most shedders are asymptomatic; most young people are asymptomatic. Covid-19 in asymptomatic people is very scary, like a stealth bomber going undetected until it strikes someone who it can do some nasty work on. A lot of teachers in schools are over 50 and with various risk factors (e.g. diabetic, high blood pressure)
I better go, reached my daily limit of posts imposed by Mein Fuhrer Bum Crack ;)

Mate its not just schools that have risks, for some teachers they are only exposed to 30 kids for the day, some other workers are exposed to hundreds every day, think about Centrelink workers currently for example.

I appreciate everything Teachers do for our kids, they are really committed to their jobs, but gee don't we hear about it when things don't got their way.

Couldnt agree more! Think of Woolies, Foodland staff etc. At least teachers have somewhat control over the people within their space.

Sorry, just had to make one more comment on this (and it is after midnight, so Mein Fuhrer should allow me).

If you think it is just for teachers that we are doing this, think again please!

A number of experts in the field, learning that I was a teacher who had to be tested for this virus (Mr Bill Bowtell, Dr David Caldicott, Dr David Allen, Dr Alan Baxter) asked me on Twitter to get this message out to people before it was too late. Thankfully, Dr Norman Swan has also joined in this, calling for us to absolutely smash Covid-19, not just mitigate it. It is the information from these esteemed experts in the field that I am sharing. I am just a standard teacher, they are the experts. The points I am making come from them, not so much from me.

WHO studies in Vu, Massachusetts, Iceland and Wuhan have all proven that most transference is from asymptomatic individuals. Most young people who contract Covid-19 are asymptomatic. The age range that most school parents fall into (20-39) is overrepresented in the statistics. You would expect it to be much lower than for older people; it is at the same level for the 60's age group and above those for 70's and 80's.

Is there a possible connection between school parents being hit hard by Covid-19 and it being passed on asymptomatically in schools? The jury is still out on that one. We can only know if we start testing asymptomatic schoolchildren - which it doesn't look as if it is going to happen for a long, long time. However, are we prepared to take the risk that it isn't being transferred, or do we value human life?

Asymptomatic shedding is the worst kind of shedding as it is like a stealth bomber. If it is in schools, it can be moving from one child, to another child, to another child, then to an adult, another adult etc. without maybe being detected until it hits someone really hard. If this is possibly happening, shouldn't we err on the side of caution??

Who are people like us concerned for? Well, for one; any bus driver transporting the students, assistants at shops whom the young people may visit to buy a drink from on the way home, cleaners (after medical staff, trust us, these guys are the real heros - very much on the front line of dealing with the virus!), medical staff who may need to deal with cases arising from these transferences, parents, children (always the number one concern of teachers).. and YOU, the general community.

Additionally, closing down schools will be the one real way of sending a message to young people that they will actually listen to. At the moment, as their life is less altered than the rest of society, they still seem to have a feeling of 'immunity', that it can't happen to them, that their life can be continued pretty much as is.

I teach at a school that is regarded (rightly or wrongly) as a fairly academic school. You would think that Year 12s at this school would be bright enough to follow social distancing rules, wouldn't you? Well, at least we would hope so. Unfortunately, it is not so easy for young adults to always remember to social-distance. Just about every classroom I go into, there will be students friendly gangtackling one another or similar. This is a mentality that is very difficult to stop - think back to when you were in the 14- to-18 age group. If it is hard for this age group, I am sure it is even harder for the younger ones. Social distancing in schools is incredibly hard to implement and enforce - it is a losing battle!

Many young people think they are invincible and call this virus the 'exit boomer virus'. In fact, some people on here seem to be reinforcing that opinion, and also a lot on the media. Well, not only can it be passed on from children to adults, but it can also have a severe impact on children.

They are now in ICUs on ventilators gasping for breath, in fact some are even dying!! Until we can get young people to realise they are not invincible, their actions won't change.

I just wish you could see this, I know that a number of you can... but those of you who said that the campaign for closing schools was just about 'precious teachers' PLEASE think again, please! This is for YOUR life as much as it is for any teacher. We really need to absolutely SMASH this virus immediately. It can be done with a total lockdown for a period of 8 to 12 weeks, with then domestic activities opened up again, but not allowing any international movements until a vaccine is found. However, rather than the 6 to 12 month partial closures that those calling for mitigation seek, a TOTAL lockdown only needs to be for that 8 to 12 week period.

Anyway, I hope I got through to some of you. If I didn't and I see some more 'teacher bashing' comments on here tomorrow, you will have succeeded and will not be hearing from me again on this topic. I promised that the other night, but it was too important an issue to leave. If I can't get through now, then I never will!

Sorry about the incredibly long rant, but if ever an issue was important enough to warrant one, it is this one!

Cheers and good health to each and every one of you.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:13 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Elephant in the room.....
The resultant unemployment rate is a clear indication of what will happen if we shut down fossil fuel power

I agree especially given there is a clear demographic high risk group.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 am

WHO can eff off as far as I’m concerned
Clearly compromised by China

This problem shows the damage China can do to the world if left unchecked.
Not the fact that they caused China Virus, but the cover up and political and media manipulation.
It’s a million times worse than what Russia did with Chernobyl
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am

Should I feel guilty going for a walk with the missus every morning? I swear people have driven past us shaking their heads the cockheads.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:56 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:WHO can eff off as far as I’m concerned
Clearly compromised by China

This problem shows the damage China can do to the world if left unchecked.
Not the fact that they caused China Virus, but the cover up and political and media manipulation.
It’s a million times worse than what Russia did with Chernobyl

Sadly the power China has probably means there will be no repercussions for this.

At risk of being accused of being a racist which I am not, if the BAT EATING can be 100% identified as the cause of this stran of Coronavirus I have no problem with our government putting in stricter conditions on entry to this country for tourists coming from China (whether they be Chinese or tourists who have travelled through China) until they can prove they are able to regulate and guarantee safety of the food they choose to eat.

That may be as simple as taking temp checks for all tourists coming into the country through China (whether they are Chinese or any nationality)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am

For those who don't have it and want to stay in touch with family and friends set up the "Zoom" app on your mobile device, you can conference video/call with everyone on the screen and audible. Good way to stay in touch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Elephant in the room.....

It literally isn't, but kudos to you for channeling your inner Rowan Dean and using the pandemic to promote fossil fuels :roll:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am

Booney wrote:SA COVID Update 25/3

170 up to 197 cases today. 27 new cases today.

2 people in ICU, both in their 70's, both in serious but stable condition.

25 of these cases came off the Ruby Princess Cruise ship.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 am

Is this the end of the cruise industry as we know it?

If and when would you ever get on a cruise ship again?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am

Booney wrote:

Is this the end of the cruise industry as we know it?

If and when would you ever get on a cruise ship again?

I’ve got one booked with Princess for late November, but yeah, that won’t be happening
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 am

Bum Crack wrote:Should I feel guilty going for a walk with the missus every morning? I swear people have driven past us shaking their heads the cockheads.

We’re doing it each day.
10am walk to get takeaway coffees.
Keep your distance but you need exercise.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion