Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

by Dutchy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 pm

I think the whole competition is seeing a massive over correction due to free agency, and by doing this are taking huge risks around injury, form and cap pressure in the years to come. 3 years would have been ideal for Lobbe IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

by bennymacca » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:37 am

kickinit wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Lobbe signed until end of 2019, 5 years? Big risk IMO, not sure why they had to go for a 5 year contract for him? Thoughts?

A big risk? A big risk would be playing lindsay thomas when there is no oscar to be won.

not sure why you needed to be a tool about it. 5 years is a LOT, for a ruckman especially, and whilst he is good, i am not sure he would have had tons of clubs lining up to give him huge contracts

You serious? He can go with every ruck men in the comp and with out a doubt has the best tank out of all of them. With free agent now allowing players to move clubs much easier, you would be stupid not to lock away your key players for long term contract. Port want to keep Lobe to the end of his career and a 5 year deal is what is needed.

Also pretty sure Blicavs has "without a doubt the best tank out of all of them"
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by stan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 am

Dutchy wrote:I think the whole competition is seeing a massive over correction due to free agency, and by doing this are taking huge risks around injury, form and cap pressure in the years to come. 3 years would have been ideal for Lobbe IMO.

Agree with this. Starting to see longer contracts to combat free agency.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

by Booney » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:15 am

He was contracted for 2015, so 16/17/18/19 means it was a 4 year extension, not a 5 year contract. Semantics, maybe, but that's the accurate version.

At 25 now ( turned 25 on Dec 2 ), he'll be 29 going 30 and has been our lead ruckman for two years. Very positive signs that the group is set to challenge for some time and I doubt he'd be on any more than $325-375k.

He's one of only a few ruckman who played pretty much all year as the sole ruckman. Sides like Sydney ( Pyke/Tippett ) Hawthorn ( Hale/McEvoy/Ceglar ) West Coast ( Cox/Natinui ) played more like 1.5 or 2 ruckman, sides like Adelaide, Port, North etc pretty much ran with one and a little back up from a tall forward. So when it comes to solo lead ruckman, he's one of the premier ones in the comp. With the assistance of Ryder I expect Lobbe to be one of premier big men in the competition.

So how is it that strange? Not like it's $9m over 10 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7513 times
Been liked: 10808 times

by Booney » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:20 am

stan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I think the whole competition is seeing a massive over correction due to free agency, and by doing this are taking huge risks around injury, form and cap pressure in the years to come. 3 years would have been ideal for Lobbe IMO.

Agree with this. Starting to see longer contracts to combat free agency.

Some clubs, like Geelong, Hawthorn and Fremantle have probably had guys sign for less on longer deals in the hope of securing one or another premiership. Sides like Port and North will probably go through this in the next 2 years.

It's not that tough a decision. $600k playing in 8 wins a year or $375k playing in a top 4 side. Easy decision.

Credits to Tom Boyd.... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 am

as an outsider looking in, it just shows how important Lobbe is to the line up for Port.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11900 times
Been liked: 3620 times

by Dutchy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:He was contracted for 2015, so 16/17/18/19 means it was a 4 year extension, not a 5 year contract. Semantics, maybe, but that's the accurate version.

At 25 now ( turned 25 on Dec 2 ), he'll be 29 going 30 and has been our lead ruckman for two years. Very positive signs that the group is set to challenge for some time and I doubt he'd be on any more than $325-375k.

He's one of only a few ruckman who played pretty much all year as the sole ruckman. Sides like Sydney ( Pyke/Tippett ) Hawthorn ( Hale/McEvoy/Ceglar ) West Coast ( Cox/Natinui ) played more like 1.5 or 2 ruckman, sides like Adelaide, Port, North etc pretty much ran with one and a little back up from a tall forward. So when it comes to solo lead ruckman, he's one of the premier ones in the comp. With the assistance of Ryder I expect Lobbe to be one of premier big men in the competition.

The extension gives him 5 years at the footy club and he gets paid whether he gets injured or form slips, Considering he is so important to your club I highly doubt he would be signing an extension for $325k, just above the average AFL wage of $270k.

I think its a great deal for the player but not so much for the club, and may restrict who you can re-sign in coming years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Booney wrote:He was contracted for 2015, so 16/17/18/19 means it was a 4 year extension, not a 5 year contract. Semantics, maybe, but that's the accurate version.

We play nine ruckmen but eleven of them are injured.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

by whufc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Ruckmen- least important position on a football field

You can win a premiership without a decent ruckman, good luck winning one without a key forward, a couple gun midfielders and depth or without a gun defence
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

by Booney » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:

The extension gives him 5 years at the footy club and he gets paid whether he gets injured or form slips, Considering he is so important to your club I highly doubt he would be signing an extension for $325k, just above the average AFL wage of $270k.

I think its a great deal for the player but not so much for the club, and may restrict who you can re-sign in coming years.

With Lobbe ( 25 ), Ryder ( 26 ), Redden ( 23 ) and the recently recruited Billy Frampton ( 199cm ) we've got cover for the next 2-3 years and beyond. I'd imagine Port will go for another tall or two in the next draft too. ( Depending upon the progress of Harvey and Shaw )

With the recent spate of signings beyond 2016 I'm not too worried about how the squad is tracking. Many of the players who have signed on are on 3-4 year deals, clearly the club has spent time considering payments and players, I would imagine, have been wise with how greedy they have been.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by Fricky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

With Lobbe ( 25 ), Ryder ( 26 ), Redden ( 23 ) and the recently recruited Billy Frampton ( 199cm ) we've got cover for the next 2-3 years and beyond. I'd imagine Port will go for another tall or two in the next draft too. ( Depending upon the progress of Harvey and Shaw )

With the recent spate of signings beyond 2016 I'm not too worried about how the squad is tracking. Many of the players who have signed on are on 3-4 year deals, clearly the club has spent time considering payments and players, I would imagine, have been wise with how greedy they have been.

Port's list management is very good at the moment. Seems pretty set and safe for a few years to come and having a set list usually leads to successful times ahead
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

by kickinit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Restrict us in the coming years? It's no different to giving him a 3 year extension and then a 2 year extension.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

by bennymacca » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:10 pm

No because you run the risk of signing someone up on big dollars and that gives you less room to move.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by kickinit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:No because you run the risk of signing someone up on big dollars and that gives you less room to move.

Who said he was on big dollars? He could easily go to another club that is willing to pay overs for him, which we would either have to match or let him go. We know have him locked in for possibly the rest of his career.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

by Dutchy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:42 pm

kickinit wrote:
Restrict us in the coming years? It's no different to giving him a 3 year extension and then a 2 year extension.

No difference? Wow...
Dutchy
Site Admin

by kickinit » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:35 am

Dutchy wrote:
kickinit wrote:

No difference? Wow...

Yep. Lobbe isn't on big coin that is going to restrict us cap wise in the coming years. The fact is your only going on about it because your trying to have another crack at port adelaide. The only thing you post about on the afl board is port adelaide, it's actually becoming pretty pathetic. How about you just worry about the roos and how many times Thomas is going to flop this year
kickinit
League - Top 5

by Booney » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 am

bennymacca wrote:No because you run the risk of signing someone up on big dollars and that gives you less room to move.

Firstly, I don't think Lobbe would be on "big" dollars ( Lets call big $500k+). Secondly I think the club would be very happy with the list and beyond a key forward to replace Schulz and a key backman waiting in the wings, we seem pretty balanced.

Thinking "Oooh, we might chase so-and-so when he comes into free agency calculations at the end of 2017" would not really be in our thinking at this point. By then Boak, Trengove, Wines, Wingard etc will be due for their next contract and the whole number crunching starts again.

I don't think the likes of the recently resigned Wingard, Wines and Gray would be on over $500k per season either.

So, while some clubs would have one or two on $700 and a few on $300, I think we'd have quite a few around the $350-400k mark. All the talk from the tight knit group suggests there would be some sacrifices made by many, if not all, to keep the group together for the next 2-3 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by Dutchy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:36 am

kickinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
kickinit wrote:

No difference? Wow...

Yep. Lobbe isn't on big coin that is going to restrict us cap wise in the coming years. The fact is your only going on about it because your trying to have another crack at port adelaide. The only thing you post about on the afl board is port adelaide, it's actually becoming pretty pathetic. How about you just worry about the roos and how many times Thomas is going to flop this year

You still don't get it but that shouldn't surprise and as usual you get personal instead of having an intelligent discussion.

Booney - Agree Wines and Wingard would not be on $500k+, but their next contract may well be and that is where the pressure will come. But there is no way Gray is on anything under $500k pa, many are saying he is now a top 10 player in the league which rightly demands a high salary.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Booney » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:20 am

This is true, but I think the group are sending all the right messages externally ( and internally I know it's the case ) that they are a very tight group with a plan and want to see the plan out.

For that I think some would be prepared to take a small cut and keep the group together, Gray being no exception.

He, along with Boak, IMO, would be the top paid at or around $500.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by JK » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:23 am

Booney wrote:For that I think some would be prepared to take a small cut and keep the group together, Gray being no exception.

Fair call. Has to happen for a club to continually be contending.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL