Structure of cricket in SA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Structure of cricket in SA

Postby auto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 pm

How about grade and turf cricket merge, with the top 8 grade teams starting in Div1 and the rest start in div 2 with the top few turf teams. The rest of turf start div 3,4,5 etc etc and play relegation and promotion system. 2 hardwicket comps north and south. Only 3 cricket comps keeps it compact but accessible to all.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby smac » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 pm

The grade clubs must be set in stone, at whatever number of teams is determined. This way pathways for elite juniors are not tampered with as a result of the senior teams performance.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby auto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Cant see any teams wanting to merge tho. Cant say id blame them either, i wouldnt want my club to merge. But somehow it has to happen for the good of state cricket. Pretty sure most grade cricket clubs would have as part of their mission statement "to produce state and Australian cricketers". Sadly grade cricket as a whole has fallen short in that regards.
auto
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:21 pm

smac wrote:Or SACA clubs should just concentrate on high performance/sub elite cricket. Forget the whites junior grades and forget C/D grade for starters.

Certainly can the D's they are mostly made up of a couple 23/24 year olds with the recent crop of kids too old for juniors and a few talented juniors. maybe the clubs also move into a more professional era by training 3 times a week (2 nets/1 gym session a week) would certainly move a few more on quicker who won't commit to such a schedule.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Goat Herder » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am

smac wrote:Or SACA clubs should just concentrate on high performance/sub elite cricket. Forget the whites junior grades and forget C/D grade for starters.

Perhaps scrap the D's and affliate Grade club 'leftovers' (for use of a better word) with an ATCA club. When I was at Walkerville, we had an affiliation with Prospect, where the young lads too old for U16's but not getting a D Grade game were handed over to us and we'd get them a game. We also accommodated those lads in an U17 team under the Walkerville name the first season of that arrangement, which they took out comprehensively. It was a win-win for all concerned and I reckon there's a lot of merit in Grade clubs adopting the concept.
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Benchwarmer » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:06 am

TURF
12 (or 10) team SACA competition
ATCA for turf cricketers below Grade level

HARD WICKET
Northern Cricket Association
Metropolitan Cricket Association (central third of the city - inner suburbs and west and east of the CBD)
Southern Cricket Association

(this is assuming that the MCA would fill the need of a Western CA and an Eastern CA in terms of club locations)

either that or Northern CA and Southern CA
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Benchwarmer wrote:TURF
12 (or 10) team SACA competition
ATCA for turf cricketers below Grade level

HARD WICKET
Northern Cricket Association
Metropolitan Cricket Association (central third of the city - inner suburbs and west and east of the CBD)
Southern Cricket Association

(this is assuming that the MCA would fill the need of a Western CA and an Eastern CA in terms of club locations)

either that or Northern CA and Southern CA

I like it BW, IMO it's looks like a good set up that could provide some good quality, competitive cricket and teams (like North Haven in the ASCA) won't have to travel to the other side of town to play.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1533 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 pm

heater31 wrote:

Certainly can the D's they are mostly made up of a couple 23/24 year olds with the recent crop of kids too old for juniors and a few talented juniors. maybe the clubs also move into a more professional era by training 3 times a week (2 nets/1 gym session a week) would certainly move a few more on quicker who won't commit to such a schedule.

C & D grade is still very important to the development of younger players. I have seen many guys take time to develop their game and play a year or 2 in the lower grades. Jake Habberfield played a year and a half of C grade cricket and now look where he is. If you send these younger guys back to turf clubs, they will be lost to grade cricket as they will not come back and or leave the game. Also the whites grade is required for the first year 14s/16s and many of them then play reds the next season and then continue to develop. If you dont get the younger players into the system early its hard to get them later on.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby RedMagpie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:37 pm

My overview

10 team SACA Comp - Play each side twice with a grater emphasys on the one day comp and more games played
1's
2's
3's
17's (allowed to play 3 males over the age of 17)
Under 16's
Under 14's

Or make the SACA comp 18 teams with three Divisions and start working with a promotion and relegation. - Play each side twice with a grater emphasys on the one day comp and more games played between the divisions.

Div 1
1. Sturt
2. Glenelg
3. Northern Districts
4. West Torrens
5. Southern Districts - Relegation
6. Woodville - Relegation

Div 2
1. Adelaide University - Promotion
2. Port Adelaide - Promotion
3. Kensington
4. Adelaide
5. Tea Tree Gully - Relegation
6. East Torrens - Relegation

Div 3
1. Prospect - Promotion
2. PAOC - Promotion
3. Grange
4. Punltney OC
5. SPOC
6. Scotch OC
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time

Postby RedMagpie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:44 pm

RedMagpie wrote:My overview

10 team SACA Comp - Play each side twice with a grater emphasys on the one day comp and more games played
1's
2's
3's
Under 16's
Under 14's

Or make the SACA comp 18 teams with three Divisions and start working with a promotion and relegation. - Play each side twice with a grater emphasys on the one day comp and more games played between the divisions.

Div 1
1. Sturt
2. Glenelg
3. Northern Districts
4. West Torrens

Div 2
3. Kensington
4. Adelaide

Div 3
1. Prospect - Promotion
2. PAOC - Promotion
3. Grange
4. Punltney OC
5. SPOC
6. Scotch OC

If it went the promotion and relegation way, I would make stipulations regarding, imports and player movement from club to club and division to division, maybe 1 club can gain 1 player from another division every two or three years, 1 club can only gain one new state rep every two years. Of course the set up would also be the same for the 3 grades below also!
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Postby smac » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
heater31 wrote:

C & D grade is still very important to the development of younger players. I have seen many guys take time to develop their game and play a year or 2 in the lower grades. Jake Habberfield played a year and a half of C grade cricket and now look where he is. If you send these younger guys back to turf clubs, they will be lost to grade cricket as they will not come back and or leave the game. Also the whites grade is required for the first year 14s/16s and many of them then play reds the next season and then continue to develop. If you dont get the younger players into the system early its hard to get them later on.

If the pathway is right, then all cricketers will find their right level. Grade cricket should be about elite cricket. Whites cricket and C/D grade cricket is not about elitism. If there were no C grade for Jake to play in, then his development would have been fast tracked by the club playing him in the B grade as they would not have wanted to lose a talented kid to their system. I would also advocate U18s.
smac
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:17 pm

RedMagpie wrote:

1's
2's
3's
Under 16's
Under 14's

Div 1
1. Sturt
2. Glenelg
3. Northern Districts
4. West Torrens

Div 2
3. Kensington
4. Adelaide

Div 3
1. Prospect - Promotion
2. PAOC - Promotion
3. Grange
4. Punltney OC
5. SPOC
6. Scotch OC

If it went the promotion and relegation way, I would make stipulations regarding, imports and player movement from club to club and division to division, maybe 1 club can gain 1 player from another division every two or three years, 1 club can only gain one new state rep every two years. Of course the set up would also be the same for the 3 grades below also!

how doe sthis help to provide a better standard of cricket? i say split into divisions with no restrictions and it will sort itself out with the better players migrating to the top 6
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 am

smac wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
heater31 wrote:

If the pathway is right, then all cricketers will find their right level. Grade cricket should be about elite cricket. Whites cricket and C/D grade cricket is not about elitism. If there were no C grade for Jake to play in, then his development would have been fast tracked by the club playing him in the B grade as they would not have wanted to lose a talented kid to their system. I would also advocate U18s.

Not always the case Smac, Once a player leaves a District club they very rarely come back and or develop further. I have come from a Turf club and seen players leave for turf clubs(they never come back)

What if you have a strong B grade with depth in your bowling? Jake as a young bowler isnt better than the current 25-27 yo bowlers in the B grade.... where does he play? Where does he train? does he come back if he leaves? Young players in the C/D grade still have access to better facilities than 90% of turf clubs, supposedly better coaching and a clear pathway to State cricket. Once the player leaves they are as good as lost.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby RedMagpie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 am

daysofourlives wrote:
RedMagpie wrote:

1's
2's
3's
Under 16's
Under 14's

Div 1
1. Sturt
2. Glenelg
3. Northern Districts
4. West Torrens

Div 2
3. Kensington
4. Adelaide

Div 3
1. Prospect - Promotion
2. PAOC - Promotion
3. Grange
4. Punltney OC
5. SPOC
6. Scotch OC

how doe sthis help to provide a better standard of cricket? i say split into divisions with no restrictions and it will sort itself out with the better players migrating to the top 6

Ahh, that way the top clubs can't go and rip the heart and soul from from the Div 3 clubs. You don't want nuffies and scrubbers running around in the elite comp at div three level.

Imagine it did come in and Div 2 sides lost
Uni: Delmount, Bailey, Reichstein and Wise
Port: Dilley, Weeks, Walters and Swade
Kensington: Brown, McNeil, Panelli and Opie
Adelaide: L.Williams, S.Williams, Raphael, Job and Francis
Gullies: Davey, Evans and Weaver
East: Cranmer and Pickford

You would just gut the Second Division and then when a side was promoted, if it was unable to bring in any tallent, they would just get hammered back to Div 2. Also, you would have the same players each year changing clubs to try and continue to play div 1. Atleast it would keep the value of cricket throughout the grade comp legit. At least with two games against each side you could have plans in place and work batsmen out over the course of the year. Batsmen that make runs against one side, need to back it up later in the year etc. Visa-Versa for the bowlers.
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Postby auto » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:49 pm

What is the grade cricket system in NSW, Victoria? Obviously they have a greater population but they also produce way more Australian cricketers per capita.
auto
League - Top 5

Postby RedMagpie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:55 pm

automaticwicky wrote:What is the grade cricket system in NSW, Victoria? Obviously they have a greater population but they also produce way more Australian cricketers per capita.

They have two grade comps in Victoria if I am advised correctly. They don't met or merge at all, like Adelaide Turf and Para Districts. I believe NSW is three comps.
RedMagpie
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:09 pm

RedMagpie wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
RedMagpie wrote:

1's
2's
3's
Under 16's
Under 14's

Div 1
1. Sturt
2. Glenelg
3. Northern Districts
4. West Torrens

Div 2
3. Kensington
4. Adelaide

Div 3
1. Prospect - Promotion
2. PAOC - Promotion
3. Grange
4. Punltney OC
5. SPOC
6. Scotch OC

Ahh, that way the top clubs can't go and rip the heart and soul from from the Div 3 clubs. You don't want nuffies and scrubbers running around in the elite comp at div three level.

Imagine it did come in and Div 2 sides lost
Uni: Delmount, Bailey, Reichstein and Wise
Port: Dilley, Weeks, Walters and Swade
Kensington: Brown, McNeil, Panelli and Opie
Adelaide: L.Williams, S.Williams, Raphael, Job and Francis
Gullies: Davey, Evans and Weaver
East: Cranmer and Pickford

You would just gut the Second Division and then when a side was promoted, if it was unable to bring in any tallent, they would just get hammered back to Div 2. Also, you would have the same players each year changing clubs to try and continue to play div 1. Atleast it would keep the value of cricket throughout the grade comp legit. At least with two games against each side you could have plans in place and work batsmen out over the course of the year. Batsmen that make runs against one side, need to back it up later in the year etc. Visa-Versa for the bowlers.

That is exactly what will happen and it should be encouraged. in effect if the clubs wont merge the saca can do this and the players will do the merging thus giving us the strong district comp that we want. you could inmagine the strength and standard of cricket in the top div. we may finally produce a competeive shield side and may even produce a few more aussie cricketers.
After a few years of the promoted team going up and down all the time perhaps the promotion relegation can be scrapped and those clubs stuck in div 2 will become feeder clubs for div 1
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:41 pm

RedMagpie wrote:
automaticwicky wrote:What is the grade cricket system in NSW, Victoria? Obviously they have a greater population but they also produce way more Australian cricketers per capita.

They have two grade comps in Victoria if I am advised correctly. They don't met or merge at all, like Adelaide Turf and Para Districts. I believe NSW is three comps.

Victoria has a premier comp... which you must play in to be selected for vic, then also a very very very strong (and huge) amatuer turf comp where a lot of money and talent lies... NSW has one premier grade comp with a ridiculous amount of teams, 16 or something of the sort (Mo Matthews still taking bags for sydney uni in the 1's too)
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby smac » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
smac wrote:If the pathway is right, then all cricketers will find their right level. Grade cricket should be about elite cricket. Whites cricket and C/D grade cricket is not about elitism. If there were no C grade for Jake to play in, then his development would have been fast tracked by the club playing him in the B grade as they would not have wanted to lose a talented kid to their system. I would also advocate U18s.

Not always the case Smac, Once a player leaves a District club they very rarely come back and or develop further. I have come from a Turf club and seen players leave for turf clubs(they never come back)

What if you have a strong B grade with depth in your bowling? Jake as a young bowler isnt better than the current 25-27 yo bowlers in the B grade.... where does he play? Where does he train? does he come back if he leaves? Young players in the C/D grade still have access to better facilities than 90% of turf clubs, supposedly better coaching and a clear pathway to State cricket. Once the player leaves they are as good as lost.

You neglected the first sentence - currently I agree. But if Grade cricket becomes elite then players will return or be promoted younger. Jets had a 15 year old in the B grade GF this year, which was about fast tracking his development not because he was a defenite B grade selection.
smac
Coach

Postby oldeagle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Jets had a 15 year old in the B grade GF this year, which was about fast tracking his development not because he was a defenite B grade selection.

Who was that?
oldeagle
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps