NBA

Re: NBA

Postby Grahaml » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am

king neptune wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
king neptune wrote:I'm still surprised the biggest front-runner in NBA history would take on a shambles of a team like the Knicks. That piece of crap James Dolan must have thrown a ton of cash at him.

If Phil Jackson stays true to form he'll walk away at the end of the season if the Knicks don't get the #1 pick. Then come straight back the next year if they do get the #1 pick lol

Phil has always said one day he would come home to the Knicks.
I admire him for doing so in our current state and I believe he has even underestimated the job ahead. I hope he is in for the long haul but reckon Dolan will piss him off that much that he will be gone sooner than later

If he does transform the Knicks into anything at all resembling a contender it will be easily the most impressive off-court feat he's ever been a part of. Far more difficult than sitting back and watching Jordan add championships to his resume.

I think all Knicks fans should send Dolan an e-mail congratulating him on the fine job he's done, he responds very well to that!

You guys do know he didn't take over the bulls when they were winning championships? He was also an assistant for a couple of years there. At the time, Jordan was ridiculed for not being able to win the big games. Jackson put together so much of that dynasty. When Jordan left, they STILL made the conference semis. He also didn't take over the Lakers in the middle of their championship run. That was another he was a big part of creating. Perhaps he didn't take over lottery calibre teams but he also didn't just "Sit back" and watch.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby king neptune » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Grahaml wrote:
king neptune wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
king neptune wrote:I'm still surprised the biggest front-runner in NBA history would take on a shambles of a team like the Knicks. That piece of crap James Dolan must have thrown a ton of cash at him.

If Phil Jackson stays true to form he'll walk away at the end of the season if the Knicks don't get the #1 pick. Then come straight back the next year if they do get the #1 pick lol

Phil has always said one day he would come home to the Knicks.
I admire him for doing so in our current state and I believe he has even underestimated the job ahead. I hope he is in for the long haul but reckon Dolan will piss him off that much that he will be gone sooner than later

If he does transform the Knicks into anything at all resembling a contender it will be easily the most impressive off-court feat he's ever been a part of. Far more difficult than sitting back and watching Jordan add championships to his resume.

I think all Knicks fans should send Dolan an e-mail congratulating him on the fine job he's done, he responds very well to that!

You guys do know he didn't take over the bulls when they were winning championships? He was also an assistant for a couple of years there. At the time, Jordan was ridiculed for not being able to win the big games. Jackson put together so much of that dynasty. When Jordan left, they STILL made the conference semis. He also didn't take over the Lakers in the middle of their championship run. That was another he was a big part of creating. Perhaps he didn't take over lottery calibre teams but he also didn't just "Sit back" and watch.

Maybe sit back and watch was selling him a bit short but I certainly stand by the front-runner comment. Lakers may not have been in their championship run yet but had a top 2/3 guard and top 1/2 big man. Would've taken a pretty bad coach to screw that up.

As Red Auerbach once said 'he picks his spots'.

Also he should never have had a championship in 2002 but that's another story...
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby Grahaml » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Coached only 2 teams. Took a Bulls side with a great player but no great winning culture and made one of the greatest dynasties we've seen. Then took on the highest pressure job in the comp and started another dynasty. They lost Shaq and missed the playoffs when he left, then he came back and built up another championship side. Not sure you can say a bloke "picks his spots" on the back of coaching just 2 teams, particularly when neither were looked at as championship caliber sides at the time. Easy to look back and think Jordan, Kobe and Shaq were winners but at the time, they weren't.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:58 am

Got a bet with a girl at work who is a Celtics fan for today's knicks vs celtics

Winner has to get the other an Indian food feast

Lol she is hot as so know lose situation for me
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2541 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 am

whufc wrote:Got a bet with a girl at work who is a Celtics fan for today's knicks vs celtics

Knicks will be thumped, we wont win another game for the season
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:Got a bet with a girl at work who is a Celtics fan for today's knicks vs celtics

Knicks will be thumped, we wont win another game for the season

Which is fine! Just have to take her out to lunch or dinner and pay for it

Too easy
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Damn have to take an absolute stunning 21 year old out for an Indian feast lol
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:48 pm

And the Knicks win 2 in 2 days!
Good win over the Raptors and a fine way to honour the loss of a fine Knicks player.
Was sad to here the passing of one of my favourites Anthony Mason at just 48.
RIP Mase
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:25 pm

What on earth is going on at OKC? I know they're missing Durant and that's a huge hole. But Westbrook is putting on some dazzling displays. The numbers in his last 5 games are reminiscent of some of the greatest at their absolute best. Yet they're 2-3 in those 5 games. Wins have come against Indiana (9th in the east) and the dreadful 76ers (in OT) both in OKC. Today they had a team higher placed with a good record, but missing probably 3 of their best 6 players. People will use this run as some sort of case for Westbrook for MVP and while impressive in isolation, when you look at the big picture it's a rather ordinary record.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Grahaml wrote:What on earth is going on at OKC? I know they're missing Durant and that's a huge hole. But Westbrook is putting on some dazzling displays. The numbers in his last 5 games are reminiscent of some of the greatest at their absolute best. Yet they're 2-3 in those 5 games. Wins have come against Indiana (9th in the east) and the dreadful 76ers (in OT) both in OKC. Today they had a team higher placed with a good record, but missing probably 3 of their best 6 players. People will use this run as some sort of case for Westbrook for MVP and while impressive in isolation, when you look at the big picture it's a rather ordinary record.

A team with an individual compared to the team who spreads the load.
OKC won't trouble anyone being a one man band
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Grahaml » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Plenty of sides with less support than that would have taken care of Chicago with their current lineup. Funny thing was up until this last stretch where Westbrook's been dominant, OKC were pushing up the standings with this side.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Grahaml wrote:Plenty of sides with less support than that would have taken care of Chicago with their current lineup. Funny thing was up until this last stretch where Westbrook's been dominant, OKC were pushing up the standings with this side.

Guess you'll never know. Hard to beat a team where 90% contribute.
One man band won't get it done
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby MJ_23 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Things heating up coming down the stretch.

Hawks cooling down and i still think healthy Bulls and Cavs are the best in the East. Wizards are in free fall, Raptors won't and can't win a playoff series without Lowry (Should be back) and have defensive issues. Heat the only ones in bottom 3 who can give a scare.

OKC look like they will cling to 8th but won't beat Golden State, Spurs looking pretty dangerous again and Houston with D-12 back are always a threat.

Who is everyones pick?

Golden State out of the West and my heart says Bulls, head says Cavaliers out of the East.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby Grahaml » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Hawks are #1 for a reason. They're cooling down but really, what do they have to play for? They've had a big lead for a while and the sides closest have shown no ability to close down the gap. Cleveland have gone past all those sides and risen from 5th to a clear 2nd. Perhaps at the break Cleveland were a remote chance of taking the #1 seed but with their stars missing the odd game, that challenge was over before it started. Given all that, when the playoffs arrive I think Atlanta will show themselves to be Cleveland's only realistic threat. Bulls have some talent, but all too disjointed. Next season will be interesting but I'm getting sick of thinking that with Chicago. Dare I say it, but I'm starting to wonder whether Rose is becoming more of a hindrance than a help. He keeps getting hurt and the team seems to shut up shop waiting for him to return. You don't trade stars lightly, but with the strong side they have without him, they might be best served to reset. Get some players to compliment Gasol/Butler/Noah/Gibson and put the distraction behind them.

Golden State looks a lock in the West. Houston and OKC get all the headlines but OKC in particular are a very average team without Durant. They've locked up the #8 seed but the whole middle of the conference that once looked so powerful is now starting to get a feel of just being ok now. That's a big worry when there's a serious fight on for spots down there.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby MJ_23 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:17 pm

OKC gave up 135 today against the Mavs in regulation time with only 4 3 pointers. Wow.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:49 pm

NBA playoff matchups announced:

West

(1) Golden State vs (8) New Orleans

(2) Houston vs (7) Dallas

(3) LA Clippers vs (6) San Antonio

(4) Portland vs (5) Memphis

East

(1) Atlanta vs (8) Brooklyn

(2) Cleveland vs (7) Boston

(3) Chicago vs (6) Milwaukee

(4) Toronto vs (5) Washington
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby jakovasaurus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Golden State will take care of NOLA comfortably. Make sure you watch this series to see the worst coach in the nba put on a show with his Pelicans. It's hilarious how bad he is.

Houston should take care of Dallas too. Which pains me to say as a massive Mavs fan. It's the best matchup for the Mavs out of who it could have been, but still can't see us getting more than two games. Although Rick Carlisle is a master in the playoffs and if we can get the early split and put pressure on them anything can happen. The defensive schemes he throws at Harden will hopefully be great. Nearly pinched the Spurs series last year, essentially by changing the we way guarded pick and rolls.

Clippers the big losers from today, of teams that made the playoffs. First round exit coming their way. Deserve it too. Doc is a muppet. That team could be anything with a decent GM running the show.

Portland Memphis will be a cracker series. I think Memphis win, but can see that one going the distance.

Atlanta smash Brooklyn, probably sweep.

Cleveland take care of Boston, but don't be surprised if Boston get multiple games here. Purely because Brad Stevens is an absolute genius. Must watch series, the out of time out plays this man draws up are a thing of beauty.

Chicago take care of the Bucks easily, they won't go any further but the Bulls will win this one.

Toronto Washington, I think Toronto in 5/6 games. Washington are coached by a clown as well. They need to fix that.

That's my quick predictions for first round. Probably be well off.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Warriors sweep
Houston in 6
Spurs in 6
Grizzlies in 5
Atlanta in 5
Cavs sweep
Bulls in 5
Wizards in 7
Jim05
Coach

Postby king neptune » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 am

Great game by Patty Mills to help the Spurs level the series at 1-1. Clutch free throws.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER
king neptune
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Two ripping games between the Bulls and Buck and Warriors, Pelicans.

Some big momentum switches in the Bulls Bucks game. Firstly the Bucks knocking everything down to be 18 up in the second to The Bulls in the same period going on a 22-2 run to finish off the half. Bulls took over the fourth until the bucks finished off the quarter going 11-0 and then Rose sending the game into OT. Bucks had a coupe of chances to win the first OT and then Rose just dominated the second OT. 3-0! :D 8)
mighty hounds
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball