Round 20 and it's getting fair dinkum

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 20 and it's getting fair dinkum

Postby stan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Top 4 side from last year away from Perth.... Even this year you've played any contender at home... Not saying you aren't any good

Actually its like you have your days hat on and you are. Ok maybe that's a bit harsh. But I have said it as well we have a very good draw this season. I think Richmond was a big win away from home. Collingwood was only so so and Port well they were ok last season but obviously they are no contender this season.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:54 am

stan wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Top 4 side from last year away from Perth.... Even this year you've played any contender at home... Not saying you aren't any good

Actually its like you have your days hat on and you are. Ok maybe that's a bit harsh. But I have said it as well we have a very good draw this season. I think Richmond was a big win away from home. Collingwood was only so so and Port well they were ok last season but obviously they are no contender this season.

you are definitely contenders...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3037 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:40 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
stan wrote:

you are definitely contenders...

I said port werent when asked about beating anyone away from home.

As for contenders, maybe we are and maybe we are not. Its hard to tell at time as soft draws like we have had can block a teams true stance. Where as finals will expose this regardless.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 am

stan wrote:

At the time you played us we certainly were. Into Round 6 we were 3-2 after beating North, Hawthorn and Adelaide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10830 times

Postby MJ_23 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 am

Robran wrote:Freo are not chance IMO in playing in the GF this year they have no forwards capable of really hurting good sides in the finals race PAv looks like he is struggling big time Walters is in and out of games to much the best one on one forward is prob fyfe and he is needed elsewhere.. I'm still not convinced on the eagles yet albeit they do play a attractive brand of footy..

Gee what do they have to do to actually "Convince" people. Been labelled as flat track bullies, haven't beaten anyone etc.

Destroyed Geelong, Beat Adelaide convincingly, Destroyed Sydney, Beat Fremantle, Beat Richmond in Melbourne, Were every chance of beating Hawks after being in front for 85/90% of the game and have had probably one of the worst runs with injuries in the AFL.

We just beat the top of the table team with no Nic Nat, McGovern, LeCras then Schofield, Lycett and Cripps all going down during the game and that is without our best and fairest CHB in MacKenzie and also Mitch Brown.

Going to take some serious work to "Convince" you
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby Brodlach » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 am

MJ_23 wrote:
Robran wrote:Freo are not chance IMO in playing in the GF this year they have no forwards capable of really hurting good sides in the finals race PAv looks like he is struggling big time Walters is in and out of games to much the best one on one forward is prob fyfe and he is needed elsewhere.. I'm still not convinced on the eagles yet albeit they do play a attractive brand of footy..

Gee what do they have to do to actually "Convince" people. Been labelled as flat track bullies, haven't beaten anyone etc.

Destroyed Geelong, Beat Adelaide convincingly, Destroyed Sydney, Beat Fremantle, Beat Richmond in Melbourne, Were every chance of beating Hawks after being in front for 85/90% of the game and have had probably one of the worst runs with injuries in the AFL.

We just beat the top of the table team with no Nic Nat, McGovern, LeCras then Schofield, Lycett and Cripps all going down during the game and that is without our best and fairest CHB in MacKenzie and also Mitch Brown.

Win the premiership ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:59 am

Brodlach wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:

Win the premiership ;)

And by record margin, with 12 players.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 am

Brodlach wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:

Win the premiership ;)

Yeah sure we'll just do that. Because its so easy [emoji57]
stan
Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:21 pm

with Freo and West Coast likely to finish 1st and 2nd they are both going to be very hard to beat in Perth especially if they both end up playing prelim finals in Perth. Suspect Hawks are they only team that could upset them
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1435 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Spargo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Has the AFL signed off on both Prelims being played in Perth if it eventuates?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5538 times
Been liked: 5171 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:31 pm

gossipgirl wrote:with Freo and West Coast likely to finish 1st and 2nd they are both going to be very hard to beat in Perth especially if they both end up playing prelim finals in Perth. Suspect Hawks are they only team that could upset them

I still think Hawthorn will grab a top 2 spot. Not sure the Eagles will win all their games and Freo no certainties to win more than 1 of their remaining games.
Freo's season will be under the pump if they cant get over North this week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3566 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Spargo wrote:Has the AFL signed off on both Prelims being played in Perth if it eventuates?

I don't think they have a choice anymore.

Didn't that change in 2004 when Brisbane had to play in Melbourne despite finishing second and earning a home prelim?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10830 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Has the AFL signed off on both Prelims being played in Perth if it eventuates?

Didn't that change in 2004 when Brisbane had to play in Melbourne despite finishing second and earning a home prelim?

Back in the late 90's or maybe in 2000 West Coast lost their right to host a home final because they had a rule about one final having to be played every week on the MCG.
Surely the AFL has moved on from such bullshit?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:45 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

Back in the late 90's or maybe in 2000 West Coast lost their right to host a home final because they had a rule about one final having to be played every week on the MCG.
Surely the AFL has moved on from such bullshit?

Yes, it's no longer in place, they do however have to have 10 finals at the G per every 5 years not including the GF's.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Booney wrote:

Surely they would have a choice if they believed the pitch couldn't hold up to two games on the one weekend. Then it would become a player safety issue which you would think would override any contract stipulation.

Especially because there is no way they would have a friday and sunday prelim giving a side a two day break advantage heading into a GF, they would have to be back to back days.

Yes i know most grounds have reserves then league etc etc but this is the AFL we are talking about.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2541 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks Lightning.
Interesting rule that, hard to see it ever coming into action. Using this year as a model and assuming that Fremantle, West Coast finish top two and that Sydney finish 6th or higher, we would have 3 finals played at the MCG. no matter how you look at it, because 1st and 2nd placed sides are guaranteed two home finals. and the side finishing 5th or 6th is guaranteed one. That means 5 of 8 finals matches would be played away from the MCG.
That's a pretty rare event in the history of AFL, and probably the least games that would be played at the MCG in a finals series ever. But even if that happened over 5 years there'd still be 15 finals played on the MCG in that time.
Then even if Sydney finished 4th and Adelaide 6th there'd still be 2 finals at the 'G this year and that scenario repeated over 5 years would produce the required 10 games.
For the 5 year rule to come into play, there'd need to be a scenario of 4 non Vic teams finishing in the top 6 (and no Vic teams in the top two), for four years, then in a 5th year there would need to be 5 non Victorian sides in the top 6 ladder positions and no Vic team in the top two.
This would produce 9 finals on the 'G in 5 years.
Odds would be against it, but it'd still suck if you finished 5th and then had to play your final away to the 8th placed side because of an Oval agreement. That would reward the side finishing 8th more than the sides in 7th and 5th.
I wonder what they'd do if all 8 teams were non Vic sides in the 5th year?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Surely they would have a choice if they believed the pitch couldn't hold up to two games on the one weekend. Then it would become a player safety issue which you would think would override any contract stipulation.

Especially because there is no way they would have a friday and sunday prelim giving a side a two day break advantage heading into a GF, they would have to be back to back days.

Yes i know most grounds have reserves then league etc etc but this is the AFL we are talking about.

Maybe they'd use the WACA and Subiaco in that event?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Fricky » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

From Perth Now website in June
AFL chief Gillon McLachlan has given assurances that Fremantle and West Coast matches will go ahead at Perth’s new sports stadium as planned despite ongoing debate with state government over fixtures at the state-of-the-art venue. And the league boss has confirmed that should the Dockers and Eagles both qualify for home preliminary finals, they will both play at Subiaco in the last week of September.

The MCG have had Friday night Prelims followed by Saturday Prelims. If they can double up there then Subiaco should be able to do it.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby MJ_23 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Ziebell and Nathan Brown offered a week

Silvagni and Masten straight to the tribunal. (Master for alleged biting)
Last edited by MJ_23 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:08 pm

MJ_23 wrote:Ziebell and Mitch Brown offered a week

Silvagni and Masten straight to the tribunal. (Master for alleged biting)

The Masterbiter.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL