Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 pm

I think he is decent was more remarking on he and butcher as probably the two most maligned from power fans
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:Pick 8!

They also got Moore at 9 and Pittard at 16 in that draft too.

Forever known as the "make a power fan swear" draft.

Fyfe went at 20 in that same draft!

The rest of the top 20 seem pretty average though, with only Dustin Martin and Daniel Talia what i would consider A graders that went in that top 20

Also had Jake Carlisle and Jack Gunston go mid to high 20's that year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3570 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
marbles wrote:funny how with the inclusions of neade and butcher the power kick into gear

Am i right in saying Butcher instead of Ryder/Lobbe up forward has offered something different for the Power? Particularly defensively?

(Watch all the wankers jump on this)

Butcher offers a contest, he's mobile and crashes packs. He doesn't mark it enough and his kicking is well publicised. However, watch the last 10 minutes of the GWS game and Wingard kicks two goals, both from a pack burst open by Butcher.Friday night, Wingards second in 5 minutes, on the back of a Butcher contest.

So, yes, he offers a hell of a lot more than Lobbe does when Lobbe goes forward and that's a blight on Lobbe and he needs to fix that. Having said that, his game at Alberton on Saturday wouldn't be enough to get him back into the AFL side IMO.

I think in the last two weeks Butcher may have brought himself another year on our list. I'm somewhat sickened by it, but I think he may have.

Did he spend some time in the middle & in the backlines. What are peoples thoughts on him in those positions, similar to what Westhoff has done.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 571 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Was anyone clever enough to put a decent wager on Port before Freo announced that they'll be sending over their B Grade?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:38 pm

My brother did.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2648 times
Been liked: 1871 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Jared Polec made a major advancement in his recovery today, he's been running for the first time in 16 weeks.

He's been running on the clubs anti-gravity treadmill.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Booney wrote:Jared Polec made a major advancement in his recovery today, he's been running for the first time in 16 weeks.

He's been running on the clubs anti-gravity treadmill.

Rate this!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Dixon asks to be traded to Port.

that is HUGE for port, as he is basically that forward/ruck that Ryder didnt turn out to be

Seems to be that Schulz is 100% gone on the back of that news, and it wouldnt surprise me if Lobbe left either.

thoughts port fans?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-06/d ... seek-trade
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:54 am

I think Dixon would be on most clubs wish lists. Big lad (200cm / 103kg ) 24, 60 odd games, slightly questionable body as he has suspect ankles and he's had some off field misdemeanors. All in all, he's one most clubs would take.

What does this mean for Schulz? It means he'll play somewhere else next year. It's never great seeing one of your clubs heart and soul players move on, but Adelaide have dealt with the loss of Vince, Hawthorn with Franklin, St Kilda with Goddard, Bulldogs with Griffen/Cooney etc etc. It is now part of our modern "list management" / game. Won't be thrilled to see Schulz play elsewhere, but I'm not over watching S Burgoyne fly like a jet at Hawthorn just yet either. At 30, with a body beat up from his commitment to the jumper he's probably got a year in him, maybe two. I think the second one would have to be triggered by KPI's being met in year one.

Lobbe? I don't think Lobbe will be traded. Redden at SANFL level looks shot, his body can't take the training load at AFL level since hip / knee injuries took their toll in the last few years, as such beyond Lobbe and Ryder our ruck stocks are only heading into their second preseason and I think the club would like to rely less and less on Trengove and Westhoff doing any ruck work.He's also part of our leadership group ( vice captain ) and has two years to run on his contract. I still see Ryder and Lobbe in the same side and I think part of our problem this year was Schulz didn't know if he was stay at home or lead up, his role was changing constantly and he didn't adjust. I think Dixon is a bloke who lobs I50 and stays there.

The other notable change is the bench going back to a 4 man rotation, this means most clubs can / will look at playing two big men again.

Ryder in the ruck, Lobbe on the bench to start with Dixon and Westhoff the F50 targets. Ryder goes forward, Lobbe comes on, Westhoff goes for a gallop up around the wing, Dixon moves to the high* forward role and Ryder circles I50. Lobbe drops off the field and we head back to normal formation.

I think the bench going back to 4 will change the make up of lots of sides, especially if your second ruck/forward is more forward than ruck.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 am

Reckon port would be too top heavy with lobbe ruder Dixon westhoff and Trengove all in the same team.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 am

bennymacca wrote:Reckon port would be too top heavy with lobbe ruder Dixon westhoff and Trengove all in the same team.

I think Westhoff plays the role Lynch plays at Adelaide when he's at his best. Albeit he's about 15cm taller, he's no less agile.

Do Adelaide look too tall with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch, Jacobs, Talia and Hartigan?

I think Westhoff needs to be released from inside F50 to play his best footy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 am

Port should be targeting a tall defender IMO, Carlisle could be good in a new environment, new state and a coach that has shown in previous seasons that he can get the best out of his players.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Port should be targeting a tall defender IMO, Carlisle could be good in a new environment, new state and a coach that has shown in previous seasons that he can get the best out of his players.

Don't think that'll happen. Bobby will be lucky to be running in the preseason with his hip/back complaint and nobody would be taking him if he went for a medical right now. In fact, I've heard he's at best a long term proposition to return to AFL footy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:04 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Port should be targeting a tall defender IMO, Carlisle could be good in a new environment, new state and a coach that has shown in previous seasons that he can get the best out of his players.

Don't think that'll happen. Bobby will be lucky to be running in the preseason with his hip/back complaint and nobody would be taking him if he went for a medical right now. In fact, I've heard he's at best a long term proposition to return to AFL footy.

Yeah well I don't think chucking the cheque book at Dixon is the answer.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:07 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm not sure the pay packet will be as big as assumed. He's very keen to get back under a Hinkley lead team.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 am

Oh and well done to all the 39,000 Port fans who went on Saturday. Playing a Fremantle team with about half it's starting line up out on a Saturday afternoon with the Show on, finals fever across the amateur leagues and country.

Excellent turn out.

To the security guard who told me to "Pull my head in" for "yelling too much" I hope you enjoy your summer, princess. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Reckon port would be too top heavy with lobbe ruder Dixon westhoff and Trengove all in the same team.

I think Westhoff plays the role Lynch plays at Adelaide when he's at his best. Albeit he's about 15cm taller, he's no less agile.

Do Adelaide look too tall with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch, Jacobs, Talia and Hartigan?

I think Westhoff needs to be released from inside F50 to play his best footy.

I would bet a lot of money lynch smashes the hoff in a beep test.

The difference is all of the port players I mentioned are over 200cm. And with the exception of Ryder and westhoff I don't think the rest of them cover the ground that well.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 am

I didnt think the 5yrs at $350k that's reported is excessive.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm not sure the pay packet will be as big as assumed. He's very keen to get back under a Hinkley lead team.

3.5m for 5 years is what is mentioned in the article I read. Gold Coast were offering him 1.5x3

That would probably make him the highest paid at port?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 am

Oh dear

clutching at straws to use the beep test to compare players.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL