HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Central Division

Postby Legs Man » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes a bad day for Echunga on Saturday.

I wasn't there due to work commitments but the feedback I received was that TV handled the glue pot better.
Unfortunately we have worked hard on a fast paced running style and were found out by a side that wanted it more in pretty poor conditions.
Congrats to TV and their endeavour which now holds them in good stead come relegation time.

My biggest gripe - and I have stated it previously - is that the HFL did not play fair on our promotion only giving us the go ahead some 3 plus months later than other clubs have.

It may have actually been longer but I definitely know it was after Xmas hence putting us in a tough situation with recruiting time.
It was impossible to tell parents and potential players which div we would be in and this did put us behind the eight ball.

Given the greater planning time which is crucial after seasons end would have seen us with greater depth across all grades which gives us an even and fair opportunity to succeed.

This is why I am so angry at the league and the protracted manner they dealt with the saga.

All we wanted was an even and fair chance to be an asset to Hills footy which we worked towards for many years opting not to seek promotion until we were ready and prepared.

The attitude of the officials must be questioned when this occurs and effects the future existence of clubs has.

I would expect with relegation will mean a further loss of juniors - as we will not have the numbers without overflow kids who we have gained this year.

Let's hope they see some sense and put personal agendas aside allowing us a fair crack in 2015.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby cracka » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 pm

The Panther wrote:Would a 7 team country div be that bad , If it goes back to just junior and senior colts and with the exception of Sedan all clubs fill junior grades why can't it work ?

The HFL board put a motion forward for country div to have just the 2 junior grades & the clubs voted against it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 am

Legs Man wrote:My biggest gripe - and I have stated it previously - is that the HFL did not play fair on our promotion only giving us the go ahead some 3 plus months later than other clubs have.

It may have actually been longer but I definitely know it was after Xmas hence putting us in a tough situation with recruiting time.
It was impossible to tell parents and potential players which div we would be in and this did put us behind the eight ball.

Given the greater planning time which is crucial after seasons end would have seen us with greater depth across all grades which gives us an even and fair opportunity to succeed.

This is why I am so angry at the league and the protracted manner they dealt with the saga.

The vote for Echunga to play in Central div was at the November AGM.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:23 am

Yes it may have voted in Nov but we were not given the go ahead until after the special meeting by Mt Lofty
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:39 am

Legs Man wrote:Yes it may have voted in Nov but we were not given the go ahead until after the special meeting by Mt Lofty

Sorry, don't know why I said November, the vote for Echunga to play in Central div was at the December AGM (there is no AGM in November). The 2 SGM's were before that & they were a proposal by Mt Lofty to make Central div a 12 team comp.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 am

I reckon we only knew for sure at Xmas as they were still wanting exact names and junior numbers even though we had no time to inform all parents, players and to seek sponsors.
Surely you agree this puts us at a disadvantage ?
We made our application in good faith but were questioned and not shown any trust by the HFL.
The shambolic manner in which the HFL conducted the process was a farce and to the detriment of the league as a whole.
Aren't we all here to see hills football progress?
Having a system in place which has a bias towards large towns with large junior numbers shows a shortsighted attitude.
Junior matches are too heavily weighted in the points system and means a smaller club doesn't have the same opportunities for competing at the highest senior level.
I agree that all junior sides should be fielded in Central div and this is where your club builds from in both a playing and family sense.
It can be cyclical though when you don't have senior schools to draw from which Uraidla experiences also.
We went up to keep our juniors alive but need time to build this which is what we are doing.
Back to country will be the end of our ability to field all sides which surely doesn't help anyone.
It is in the lap of the gods now and with the HFL 's record of handling tough situations it doesn't give me much faith in the outcome.
My hope is that central clubs come to our aid as we have tried to provide a welcoming club atmosphere for them when visiting our club.
We add another good oval in close proximity and hopefully this is valued by the clubs voting.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 am

The wanting of names was dealt with at the December AGM as well as the Echunga delegates presented them that night.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 am

Yes that sounds about right.
The club let everyone know in a formal capacity straight after Xmas but of course some knew as soon as the decision was finalised.
Certainly puts us behind the rest of the clubs considering what is needed to compete in the higher competition.
Think starting a 200m race from a fifty metre handicap.
Then with the Xmas break and school holidays parents were only given notice when returning mid January.
Points allocated was another point of conjecture as we started with less points coming up than teams already in the higher division which I cannot get my head around.
Surely the team going into a higher competition must start with maximum points.
We knew the rules and only ask that we are provided the same opportunity to succeed as other clubs.
As previously stated - I hope the other central clubs value us in the competition and assist us in our plight putting personal agendas aside for the betterment of hills football.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby overthehill » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am

The Table as it currently stands:
Blackwood 254
Mt Barker 246
Uraidla 225
Lobethal 197
Hahndorf 178
Ironbank 177
Onka Valley 174
Bridgewater 139
Torrens Valley 131
Echunga 119
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 am

Legsman, you've gotta stop blaming the HFL for everything. The AGM was on the first Monday in December, so if Echungas Committee weren't telling their players & supporters of the decision until after xmas them thats their fault. With mobile phones & email everyone should have known by Tuesday 3rd of December & the Echunga committee should have had a meeting that night to plan.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 am

Not blaming them for everything - just most of it as we weren't given the same chance as all other clubs competing.

The HFL is after all the governing body and we complied with the requirements to go up in accordance with the rules - only to be questioned and not trusted.
We knew the penalties for non compliance with junior sides and were prepared for this if we didn't meet our obligations.
This also led to a protracted process which put us at a disadvantage.
Regardless of exact timing - we were given the go ahead later than it should have been.

Please give me your thoughts on:

- Timeframe for us to plan going into a higher league being less than all other clubs competing in Central division.

- Points allocated being less than clubs above us.

If you can provide me with someone else responsible for these 2 crucial elements I am happy to change my views.

Over to you...
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby no1rangler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:26 am

Legsman, no one has any idea what will happen next year in terms of relegation etc.

But surely you don't throw all your eggs in one basket and rely on your A grade to go well (which they have done) but look at TV , love them or hate them- they knew they were also in the gun for possible relegation and they loaded up the A grade and know there B grade will play finals.

You keep talking about points and getting a raw deal, win 2 or 3 B grade games and you would've saved a lot of hours typing on ere
Last edited by no1rangler on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
no1rangler
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:27 am

Legs Man wrote:As previously stated - I hope the other central clubs value us in the competition and assist us in our plight putting personal agendas aside for the betterment of hills football.

As much as you would like to go on and on about it, I think most would agree for the betterment of Hills Footy, Lofty (and possibly Nairne) would be a better options in Central.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:36 am

Legs Man wrote:Not blaming them for everything - just most of it as we weren't given the same chance as all other clubs competing.

The HFL is after all the governing body and we complied with the requirements to go up in accordance with the rules - only to be questioned and not trusted.
We knew the penalties for non compliance with junior sides and were prepared for this if we didn't meet our obligations.
Regardless of exact timing - we were given the go ahead later than it should have been.

- Timeframe for us to plan going into a higher league being less than all other clubs competing in Central division.

If you can provide me with someone else responsible for these 2 crucial elements I am happy to change my views.

Over to you...

I would love the thoughts on my above questions by the long time forum members.
Dutchy, Cracka, OTH, LGIL,#1Wrangler, The Panther,Thudpucker etc. as i am happy to change my views given solid reasoning.
Not looking for easy rhetoric - just answers.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:Finally, Looks Good in Leather - surprised you think Bridgewater are in danger given they have to play Uraidla and Echunga, so between the senior colts and B grade will be over 150 points without much effort.

A lot of assumptions here, but here goes.

Bridgewater - curr 139
Expecting them to lose their 3 remaining A-Grade games (Mount Barker, Echunga & Uraidla). They should account for Echunga in the Bs (5 points) but I would expect them to lose the other two. In the senior colts I expect them to beat Echunga & Uraidla (10 points), but the Mount Barker game is hard to call. In the Junior colts I expect them to lose to Mount Barker, with the Echunga and Uraidla games in the balance.

Predicted Final Range: 155-166

Echunga - curr 116
This week very important in the A's against TV with the winner gaining an extra 10 points against a fellow relegation candidate. I expect them to beat both Bridgewater and Hahndorf (20 points). Unlikely to win any of the remaining games in the Bs (0 points). Expecting them to lose the Senior colts against Bridgewater & Hahndorf, with the game against Torrens Valley in the balance. In the junior colts I don't see them beating Hahndorf, but both the Torrens Valley & Bridgewater games are a chance.

Predicted Final Range: 136-157

Torrens Valley - curr 111
As mentioned, this week very important against Echunga and likely to beat Hahndorf (10 points) with the Ironbank game also a chance. Expecting TV to win their B-Grade games against Echunga & Hahndorf (10 points) and a chance to beat Ironbank. Not expecting them to win the Senior colts against Hahndorf or Ironbank but the Echunga game could be a chance. Similar in the Junior Colts I expect losses to Hahndorf & Ironbank but toss a coin in the Echunga game with it being a close one earlier in the year.

Predicted Final Range: 131-164

If Torrens Valley beat Echunga this week then Bridgewater should be safe, but their performance in the A-Grade mean that if a few results go Echunga's way, Bridgewater also find themselves in danger.

Should be an exciting finish.

Updated:

Bridgewater - curr 139 no change

Missed out on the 5 points on offer in the Senior colts, but Echunga's results saved them

Predicted Final Range: 155-161

Torrens Valley - curr 131 +20
Picked up a massive 17 point advantage on Echunga this week. I expected the two colts games to go the opposite way. Have now put themselves in the box seat for survival. Winning the remaining senior games (as expected) should see them clear.

Predicted Final Result: 161

Echunga - curr 119 +3
Disappointing week only picking up the lowest yielding game in the 3 matches in the balance.
Hard to see how they will survive without creating an upset at B-Grade/junior level.
They could win every game at A-Grade level for the rest of the season, including finals and will still get relegated.

Predicted Final Range: 136-139 (relegated)
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Legs Man wrote:Not blaming them for everything - just most of it as we weren't given the same chance as all other clubs competing.

Over to you...

Not blaming them for everything? I must have missed the post where you said something positive about the HFL.
A lot of your rants have been about the HFL not giving Echunga enough time as it was after xmas, well you were wrong. The Echunga president stood up in front of us at the December AGM & said you were ready to go to Central & had been planning for it to happen since the GF. He also said you had the numbers in the juniors (gave the HFL a list of names) so that was a non issue. If you are being told Echunga didn't start organising themselves until after xmas then either you are being lied to or the Echunga president lied to the HFL.
I agree with you on the points issue (that Echunga should have got more & Lofty less) but thats what the CLUBS voted in. Again the board put up a motion to change the points allocation which was voted against by the CLUBS. They wanted it to remain as is & there was no allowance for the 2 teams promoted/relegated. By all means, attend this years December AGM & put forward a proposal to change it which is what Echunga should have done.
cracka
Veteran

Postby The Gimp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Over to you...

The lack of time for planning is a poor excuse. Generally everything is only finalised at the AGM and we only knew for certain around the Dec mark when we got promoted. But what we did was start planning a lot earlier and Echunga should've as well once the club made their decision to promote - which I actually think they did, which makes this even more of an excuse. You can certainly

In regards to the points - totally agree with you and this is the gripe which should be the loudest. The HFL set a precedence with TV going up and Birdwood going down a few years back and for some reason, they broke this and gave Lofty more points (15) than Birdwood (13) when relegated and gave Echunga (13??) less than TV (15) when promoted.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Fair call re timeframe - and yes we had started planning - but letting parents and prospective recruits know that late (DEC) immediately puts you at a disadvantage.

I reckon that if all current Central sides were told they cant recruit until after the DEC. AGM there would be a mutiny.

Understand that you can try and recruit earlier - but the uncertainty in players eyes makes it very difficult.

We nearly even lost some club bred players who were wanting to play at the higher level as we couldn't guarantee our position.

This is a problem with the promotion / relegation system - and we aren't the only club to encounter it - which isn't equitable.

How can you tell recruits we are playing in Central when the decision is still hanging on special meetings etc.

Lets see how things play out over the next few weeks - with our hope being to play in Central in 2015.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Legs Man wrote:Fair call re timeframe - and yes we had started planning - but letting parents and prospective recruits know that late (DEC) immediately puts you at a disadvantage.

I reckon that if all current Central sides were told they cant recruit until after the DEC. AGM there would be a mutiny.

Understand that you can try and recruit earlier - but the uncertainty in players eyes makes it very difficult.

We nearly even lost some club bred players who were wanting to play at the higher level as we couldn't guarantee our position.

This is a problem with the promotion / relegation system - and we aren't the only club to encounter it - which isn't equitable.

How can you tell recruits we are playing in Central when the decision is still hanging on special meetings etc.

Lets see how things play out over the next few weeks - with our hope being to play in Central in 2015.

Legs man
I have two differing views on the current situation that your club may find itself in.

If everything else was equal, I’d say that the by-laws have to decide who goes down, and whatever club finishes bottom just has to suck it up.

Unfortunately, everything isn’t equal, which means that the relegation issue is being compromised in 2014. Let me give examples how:
• Torrens Valley are playing with 18 points a game, as the HFL decided to give them additional points – this is unfair on every other club.
• Torrens Valley are being allowed to field junior teams that contain up to 6 players on permits. That is, a lad who should be playing U15s is also allowed to play U13s (as an overage player), or a lad who should be playing U17s is also allowed to play U15s. This is a blatant disregard of the reasons why permits are given, and TV are using this to ensure they get teams on the park each week, which has in turn resulted in them winning important junior points in the relegation battle. Again, the HFL accept this is wrong but are unable/unwilling to act on it.

Add to the mix the fact that TV can’t even field one team in the modified carnival, and you can understand why many of us are just left shaking our heads.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks Elmer - at least you understand where I am coming from.

I have deflected the blame from TV as they are naturally doing everything in their power to stay in Central.

Can the rest of the forum contributors now see why i am so damn pi**ed off at the HFL and the way they have handled the situation?

Happy to take our medicine if given the same opportunity as the team who are likely seeing us relegated.

Understandably I have Echunga's interests at heart - but still want an even and fair way for all to compete.

Currently this is not the case and if anyone can explain how i shouldn't blame the governing body for allowing this please let me know.
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy